1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Anything in the general Robusto/belicosos size roughly
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your preferred rh for cc's?
How about for nc's?

I think I have found my sweet spot with everything at 65%, but curious what others prefer and why.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
This question is asked a lot. I believe it was the very first question I ever had for these forums myself. I feel the majority of the people here state they like their CC's at 61% and NC's at 65%.

I had fallen for the 70/70 rule when I first started and ran into some serious issues with CC's. I personally now keep CC's at 58-60% RH which is working out great for me. Now I don't know if the 58% is a bit low and I'm only not seeing problems because the sticks are still a bit over humidified from 70%.

Something interesting I've began to notice. I really like a couple of the machine rolled CC's for those quick smokes not to mention my old man is obsessed with a particular machine rolled CC. Anyway I have begun to notice that 58% is a bit low for them and I've actually been loving them resting at 65%.

Anyway, the majority of the opinions here are very much more experienced and far wiser than I. But thought I would share my personal experiments!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This question is asked a lot. I believe it was the very first question I ever had for these forums myself. I feel the majority of the people here state they like their CC's at 61% and NC's at 65%.

I had fallen for the 70/70 rule when I first started and ran into some serious issues with CC's. I personally now keep CC's at 58-60% RH which is working out great for me. Now I don't know if the 58% is a bit low and I'm only not seeing problems because the sticks are still a bit over humidified from 70%.

Something interesting I've began to notice. I really like a couple of the machine rolled CC's for those quick smokes not to mention my old man is obsessed with a particular machine rolled CC. Anyway I have begun to notice that 58% is a bit low for them and I've actually been loving them resting at 65%.

Anyway, the majority of the opinions here are very much more experienced and far wiser than I. But thought I would share my personal experiments!
Interesting.
Thanks for your input.

I just finished the last machine made cigarillos of the 6 boxes I had and really enjoyed them for a quick after meal or early morning smoke

·
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
28,998 Posts

Your opinion sounds fine to me.
Not only is it your right to express it.
But you have given a correct answer IMHO.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
I use the 65% Boveda's for my nc's. My rh hovers around 65-67%. I like a little less humidity because where I'm at, they smoke a little better, less burn issues.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
You will see a lot of different opinions. What I found out works best for me is around 65/ 70rh for storing / aging ( otherwise oils will dry out ) and around 60rh for smoking.

So I have a dry box ( desk top humidor) with 62rh boveda that I keep about 20 or so cigars in to smoke in the next few weeks. As I smoke one from there I put another one in from regular rh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You will see a lot of different opinions. What I found out works best for me is around 65/ 70rh for storing / aging ( otherwise oils will dry out ) and around 60rh for smoking.

So I have a dry box ( desk top humidor) with 62rh boveda that I keep about 20 or so cigars in to smoke in the next few weeks. As I smoke one from there I put another one in from regular rh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I was expecting to see a lot of different opinions, which is actually why I made the thread, to hear why people choose the rh that they do, rather than asking what rh I should keep mine at, as I'm firmly settled at 65 and no dry boxing.

65 has been working great for me for quite a while now

·
Registered
264 Posts
Ambient humidity level in southern Louisiana is roughly 74%, granted inside is lower, but over humidified cigars seems to be a plague. I try to keep all my humidors low 60s. I usually keep a bag of prospective smokes in my police unit with no added humidifiers / Boveda / nothing. They’ll sit there for up to a month and smoke perfect

·
Registered
Too many to list
2 Posts
I have found that around 65 works best for me. Temperature is also important. I target around 65 degrees.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ambient humidity level in southern Louisiana is roughly 74%, granted inside is lower, but over humidified cigars seems to be a plague. I try to keep all my humidors low 60s. I usually keep a bag of prospective smokes in my police unit with no added humidifiers / Boveda / nothing. They’ll sit there for up to a month and smoke perfect
Yeah, definitely don't have high humidity here in Wyoming, so I have no problems with that.

All my smokes are at a consistent 65% and 68 degrees

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I have found that around 65 works best for me. Temperature is also important. I target around 65 degrees.
Same here, except I can't get my room here at the veteran's home lower than 68 even with the ac full blast. 68 seems to be just fine though.

Ever since I switched everything from 62% to 65% I have had way fewer problems

I have also never dry boxed and have never felt the need to

Personally skeptical that 24 to 48 hours with no, or lower humidity would have much effect. Just too short for the internal rh to change much in my opinion

·
Minister of Propaganda
1,195 Posts
I store some of mine at ~61-62%, and some at ~64-65%, all in the same cabinet. I store the sticks that are resting for several years on the top shelf that hovers around 64-65%. I find that I have a slight preference for the burn associated with the cigars stored at the lower levels, so I usually pull the ageing sticks from the top shelf down to a lower shelf if I'm thinking about smoking them in the next 6 months.

I could pretend that all of this is a well-regulated experiment in the pursuit of the perfection, but the truth is that I just have a tall humidor and, since humid air is less dense than dry air, I can measure a 2-3% difference from my bottom shelf to the top. Just a happy coincidence that seems to work well for me.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I only smoke nc’s so it’s between 68-69 RH for me.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I only smoke nc’s so it’s between 68-69 RH for me.
Interesting.
That seems very high.
I'm surprised they don't suffer from tight draws, trouble staying lit, and cracking when smoking

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mine are in the same range. Never a problem.
Interesting.
I have never tried higher than 65.
I used to do 62, but had lots of Issues, but they went away when I switched everything to 65

1 - 16 of 16 Posts