Cigar Forums banner

Preference of pipes?

836 views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  caskwith 
#1 ·
just wondering if anybody else has had the same experience?

ever since i have started pipe smoking i have started to get a preference for pipes over cigars, im getting to the point where i am very fussy about the cigar when im smoking it, always comapring the flavour to that of a pipe, cigars also seem to be losing some of their appeal, the flavour just isnt as good anymore. anybody else notice this?

#2 ·
caskwith said:
just wondering if anybody else has had the same experience?

ever since i have started pipe smoking i have started to get a preference for pipes over cigars, im getting to the point where i am very fussy about the cigar when im smoking it, always comapring the flavour to that of a pipe, cigars also seem to be losing some of their appeal, the flavour just isnt as good anymore. anybody else notice this?
me, I rarely smoke cigars anymore, I much prefer the pipe

#5 ·
For a few years now, I've preferred a pipe over cigars, but I was never really into cigars before I started smoking a pipe, anyway. Lately, I like to smoke cigars, if for nothing else than the variety, but I'm sure when it starts getting a little cooler outside, I'll go back to my old standby. Plus I haven't smoked a pipe since my meerschaum broke. I'm in mourning until it comes back from the repair shop.

#8 ·
I liek to rotate.
I smoke more pipe in the winter and when I am at the chicago pipe show.
It all depends on my mood.
Plus it gives my pipes a nice rest to let them sit for a few months.
I can't wait to get my 2006 Boswell in a few weeks.
Its almost that time for my freebie!

#9 ·
sgresso said:
I liek to rotate.
I smoke more pipe in the winter and when I am at the chicago pipe show.
It all depends on my mood.
Plus it gives my pipes a nice rest to let them sit for a few months.
I can't wait to get my 2006 Boswell in a few weeks.
Its almost that time for my freebie!
youre so lucky to have pipe shows!

and whats the freebie?

#10 ·
our local shope has a program where you buy 6 pipes that average the cost and apply it to the 7'th
so its like buy 6 get one free or you can get a pipe that more expensive and pay the diference.

#12 ·
ya i have like $60 in credit so when they get the 2006 boswell freehands in I get my for free.

I usually get at least 2-3 pipes a year from them depending on what gift certtificates I get at christmas.

Its nice because they carry boswells pipes and a lot of other quality pipes.
I also like the Petersons they have and the Design Berlin pipes.

its really nice if you can afford $200 pipes
its still works the same.
Most of my pipes I get are in the $50-80 range
now if I can only get them to carry good pipe tobacco we would be set.
they overprice the cigars and only carry a few tins of tobacco.
its mostly the bulk tinder box crap they have.

#13 ·
sgresso said:
ya i have like $60 in credit so when they get the 2006 boswell freehands in I get my for free.

I usually get at least 2-3 pipes a year from them depending on what gift certtificates I get at christmas.

Its nice because they carry boswells pipes and a lot of other quality pipes.
I also like the Petersons they have and the Design Berlin pipes.

its really nice if you can afford $200 pipes
its still works the same.
Most of my pipes I get are in the $50-80 range
now if I can only get them to carry good pipe tobacco we would be set.
they overprice the cigars and only carry a few tins of tobacco.
its mostly the bulk tinder box crap they have.
so far all of my pipes have been ebay purchases, plus one gifted by watson for restoration practice. Just goy a Jobey Dansk freehand that is stunning, finished restoration yesterday and now i just have to break it in again. all of my tobacco has been gifted/traded by US gorillas, when you can find pipe tobacco here it is so grossly overpriced that its often cheaper to buy in the US and ship over, the same applies to cigars, you guys can get ISOM's much cheaper than i can, and they are illegal for you!!

#14 ·
caskwith said:
so far all of my pipes have been ebay purchases, plus one gifted by watson for restoration practice. Just goy a Jobey Dansk freehand that is stunning, finished restoration yesterday and now i just have to break it in again. all of my tobacco has been gifted/traded by US gorillas, when you can find pipe tobacco here it is so grossly overpriced that its often cheaper to buy in the US and ship over, the same applies to cigars, you guys can get ISOM's much cheaper than i can, and they are illegal for you!!
Threadjack:

Yeah really, how do you Brits afford to even live? My sister did a semester of study there, and my wife has visited... it's not just tobacco but everything seems higher over there.

#15 ·
NCatron said:
Threadjack:

Yeah really, how do you Brits afford to even live? My sister did a semester of study there, and my wife has visited... it's not just tobacco but everything seems higher over there.
the answer to that is with great difficulty!! we are taxed on everything, yet still the government has no money and has to make budget cuts!

its crazy! but now you can see why i have the problems i do with cigars and pipe tobacco, the same applies to guys like Dave,Paul, Tony and James.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.