Cigar Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen pre-embargo cigars for sale on a couple of sites.

Do you guys know if these are any good? The ones from Red Envelope are not cheap, but the ones from MD are.

The smaller pic is the box offered on Red Envelope.

Red Envelope

and MD Cigars

·
Registered
200 Posts
These cigars are bullshit. They are old cigars with some pre 1962 Cuban tobacco but they are lousy tobacco, taste like shit, were commercially available through Hollco ubntil a few years ago, and are a complete waste not only of money but of the enjoyment of smoking a good cigar instead.
Gordon

·
Registered
410 Posts
As Ironic as this sounds - maybe it doesn't sound so funny..
But...
A few of the Classic Lars teten cigars are made with this material. The funny part is that Lars doesn't tell anyone...

As their distributor I certainly wish they did release the info.

hbooker

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think all that pre-embargo stuff is BS. Think about it, we have discussions all the time about maintaining proper humidity and all that, and there has been tobacco that was found sitting for 60 years in some warehouse and its okay?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
These are not "real" pre-embargo cigars. If they were not rolled and boxed prior to 1963, then they are not pre-embargo. I've had several "real" pre-embargo cigars, some as old as 1926. I've had old Partagas from the late 50's and a few others I can't think of right now. Very expensive and for the most part, very lousy tasting. The flavor is just gone.

·
Registered
200 Posts
1961 Hoyo DC Excellent!
1951 Romeo Churchill Excellent!
1940's Bock Panatella Excellent!
1962 Upmann Cristale Excellent!
I have had other also that I thought were awful including the Flor de Farach and there is no way these things are worth the kind of money they bring but some of them are very good.

·
Registered
283 Posts
cashcow said:
1961 Hoyo DC Excellent!
Yea but we're talking about cigars we are smoking NOW, not when we were in high school. :D

Jus' kidding, I know MoTheMan's jealous!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
cashcow said:
1961 Hoyo DC Excellent!
I have had other also that I thought were awful including the Flor de Farach and there is no way these things are worth the kind of money they bring but some of them are very good.
With the exception of the two Partagas claros I had, yuck, the other pre-embargos were all clear havanas and smaller cigars. These sound like they could be better than those. :)

·
F.O.G. with nice smokes
1,605 Posts
cashcow said:
1961 Hoyo DC Excellent!
CashCow, I want a tour of your humidors!

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
That makes two of us.

:pu

·
Registered
200 Posts
At the risk of having my tastebuds exiled, I actually enjoyed some of the early Pinars, particularly the B's which were a 50% Nicaraguan blend and to which I was introduced by Binny Satin, one of the great guys who used to organize SoCal herfs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts