Cigar Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Smoking 'em since 1994
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Potential for unwanted air freshener "infusion" of cigars outside my humidor?

My fiancée recently plugged in a pine-scented air freshener into an outlet in the living room. I have my humi in the dining room. Is there any danger of cigars I have air-drying outside my humidor becoming "infused" by the air freshener's scent?

· Puffer With No Spikes
1,725 Posts
Re: Potential for unwanted air freshener "infusion" of cigars outside my humidor?

That would have to be one hell of an air freshener to do anything like that. Or one of those ones that spray every few minutes, then it would need to be spraying right on the sticks.

But for cigar safety you really should be using an old cigar box to dry box them in. Most B&Ms will give you one.

· Zen Master ZingTwang
1,450 Posts
Re: Potential for unwanted air freshener "infusion" of cigars outside my humidor?

We'll know for sure if all your reviews start out:

"Pre-light draw---- Hints of pine resin...."

· Smoking 'em since 1994
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Heh heh...good one, arnie!

Shannensmall, actually I do use cedar cigar boxes to dry box, but if I have cigars fresh in from online retailers, I almost always find them to be over-humidified, so i figure open air drying would bring down their humidity quicker than dry boxing. What do you think?

· Sting fish
111 Posts

My fiancée recently plugged in a pine-scented air freshener into an outlet in the living room. I have my humi in the dining room. Is there any danger of cigars I have air-drying outside my humidor becoming "infused" by the air freshener's scent?
You'd be surprised how much flavor cigars can pick up from outside sources, even other cigars within your humidor. Leave some strong Nicaraguan maduros in the same humi with some milder more sublime CCs and you'll get a flavor transfer from the stronger to the milder. I know there are several on here who scoff at that idea but I am convinced beyond a doubt that it happens. I'd say get those cigars away from the air freshener unless you enjoy that flavor.

· Puffer With No Spikes
1,725 Posts

Heh heh...good one, arnie!

Shannensmall, actually I do use cedar cigar boxes to dry box, but if I have cigars fresh in from online retailers, I almost always find them to be over-humidified, so i figure open air drying would bring down their humidity quicker than dry boxing. What do you think?
Yes most companies ship a lil wet, they do this to protect them from drying out during shipping. It's usually not so bad that the practice of open air drying is needed. Furthermore, I would be scared that leaving them out would cause them to dry out too fast, making it easy for them to become too dry before you know it. A box will help slow down the drying, but even then, unless you have 100+ cigars to dry, a couple of days in a box should be more than enough. In the end, it's really what ever works for you.

· THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
34,863 Posts

If its close enough to your humidor and the smell is concentrated enough. Of course i have been running dry kitty litter all summer in my humidor. Yet the R/H is still 63% where is the r/h coming from?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.