Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I receieved a shipment of cigars today and the post offfice wrote in big red letters "CIGARS" and then left a sticker "Identity Recorded." The sender mislabeled the package but why would the post office relabel and record the identity? The package does not appear to be opened. :tg

What Gives?

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
That's odd, never heard of that happening before. Interesting to find out if anyone knows anything about it.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
ummmmm.....I don't know what to tell you. Never seen that before. But the "Identity Recorded" would worry me a bit. I'd call and ask what exactly that means.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Maybe it has something to do with the delivery of tobacco products to people under the age of 18? My UPS guy told me they're not allowed to deliver tobacco products to underage individuals.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got a package with the same identity recorded sticker (I live in Singapore btw). The package originated in Australia.

AFAIK, if there was any suspicion of cigars in a package that came into Singapore, it would be opened and taxed mercilessly, no way around it.

Where did you order from? Is this sticker perhaps an Aussie post thing and not something done locally?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Privateer said:
I got a package with the same identity recorded sticker (I live in Singapore btw). The package originated in Australia.

AFAIK, if there was any suspicion of cigars in a package that came into Singapore, it would be opened and taxed mercilessly, no way around it.

Where did you order from? Is this sticker perhaps an Aussie post thing and not something done locally?
Yes, it is an Aussie package. But I still do not understand?

·
Registered
37 Posts
blowfin said:
What I suspect is that they have an account with Aussie post (no stamps were on the package). ID recorded referring to the merchant's ID being noted by Australia Post for postage cost purposes.

Thus, the sticker has nothing to do with our local customs officers.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Someone should give the post office a call and find out for sure. It would be nice to know. Especially since if they are writing CIGARS on packages that are illegal cigars it probably raises the risk of confiscation just a bit.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
blowfin said:
I've had packages from Australia with the same sticker, identity recorded. I had the cigars in hand, so never gave it another thought :cool:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nathan said:
Someone should give the post office a call and find out for sure. It would be nice to know. Especially since if they are writing CIGARS on packages that are illegal cigars it probably raises the risk of confiscation just a bit.
I have asked the vendor and will post the reply. :w

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
I'd definately want to know what's going on. Hmm! Maybe they're scrutinizing australian packages more closely for some reason.

I'd probably want to let the vendor know as well.

·
Pickin a Winner!
1,193 Posts
coppertop said:
I'd call and ask what exactly that means.
Yeah, once you've had "your identity recorded", you might as well call and find out, you know, for the sake of your pals here at CS. Intrigue abounds.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Post Office Relabels my Package? UPDATE

According to my vendor, it is the Australians who labelled the package cigars and the id recoded belongs to the vendor. Apparently, this is their way of assuring our customs people that the package is checked and is "o.k."

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
Whew... this thread was stressing at first! :al

Even when I realized this was not a USA thread.... I was still a little anxious to know.

You lucky other countries do not face some of the "import" issues we face here in the states :tg :mad: ;)

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I have received a couple of packages with this sticker on it... also from Aus. My panic subsided when i realized it was the Australian post that had put the sticker on, nad not the US. I would pay it no further mind.

Odd that it was labeled 'cigars' though, that I've never seen.

G

·
Franksmith said:
Whew... this thread was stressing at first! :al

Even when I realized this was not a USA thread.... I was still a little anxious to know.
I was wondering if we need for Downunder LLG to send each member a bomb, then we could run a poll and see how many members had the sticker on the box. We could smoke the sticks for stress relief therapy.

That would give us a good poll, medical treatment, and Downunder would get rid of all those cigars taking up room in that otherwise beautiful wooden storage box.

Oh yeah, he would probably need to include some of his ash trays for litter control.

:r Hope you will still talk to me, DownUnder!!!!

·
Woop Woop Root Rat
2,258 Posts
SvilleKid said:
I was wondering if we need for Downunder LLG to send each member a bomb, then we could run a poll and see how many members had the sticker on the box. We could smoke the sticks for stress relief therapy.

That would give us a good poll, medical treatment, and Downunder would get rid of all those cigars taking up room in that otherwise beautiful wooden storage box.

Oh yeah, he would probably need to include some of his ash trays for litter control.

:r Hope you will still talk to me, DownUnder!!!!
Yes I can tell you all now, It is an Australia Post thing. It was introduced by Australia Post to verify that the person who sent the package has had some form of ID recorded. It is not necessarily the vendors ID, unless the vendor is sending it himself, by that I mean the person who physically goes to the post office to ship the package.
I just shipped one of my ashtrays to Pinoyman, same thing, record drivers license details and put label on box. Australia Post DOES NOT look in the parcel when you post it, so they still don't know what is truly being sent so you can breathe easy on that front. You can take a completely sealed parcel to AP, fill out the declaration, have your ID recorded and everyone is happy. It's just another one of those "security" measures that has been put in place of late. I think basically the theory is, is that the receiving nations customs feel a little bit more comfortable when they see something like this and if something goes wrong and the package I did send you really was a BOMB, well then they know where to come find me, lock me up etc, etc.
So you can all rest easy, actually it probably works in your favour a bit :D

Now SvilleKid, what's this about all those cigars in that beautiful wooden storage box..... do you know something I don't about my cigar collection :r
I can tell you know that I don't need to send you all a BOMB so you can run a poll to see if you all get a sticker or not...... cause you all WILL get one ;)

Don't worry mate... I will still talk to you.... and maybe one day you will be unfortunate enough to recieve one of DownUnder's Fugly Ashtrays (DUFAs).... then you'll be sorry... hehehehe....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts