Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this might be fun and a little different and give others a chance to try something you enjoy making at home. I have a few in mind, but will have to wait to post them when I'm home. Who's first?

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, I'll go first.

Pecan Crusted Chicken

Makes: 4 servings

Ingredients
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 cup chopped pecans
1 pinch white sugar
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - pounded to 1/2 inch thickness
2 tablespoons olive oil

Directions
1. In a small bowl, mix the eggs with the milk. Put aside.

2. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, seasoning, cinnamon, pecans, sugar, and salt and pepper.

3. Dip the chicken in the egg mix, and press in the pecan mix.

4. Fry in hot olive oil until golden, about 5 minutes per side. Check to make sure pecans don't burn. Place on paper towel to drain.

·
Registered
152 Posts
DonJefe said:
OK, I'll go first.

Pecan Crusted Chicken

Makes: 4 servings

Ingredients
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 cup chopped pecans
1 pinch white sugar
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - pounded to 1/2 inch thickness
2 tablespoons olive oil

Directions
1. In a small bowl, mix the eggs with the milk. Put aside.

2. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, seasoning, cinnamon, pecans, sugar, and salt and pepper.

3. Dip the chicken in the egg mix, and press in the pecan mix.

4. Fry in hot olive oil until golden, about 5 minutes per side. Check to make sure pecans don't burn. Place on paper towel to drain.
mmmmm..looks good.

I think I will try it. Thanks.
Good thing it is nearly lunchtime here as now I am really hungry.

·
Chimpus herfustus
745 Posts
Sunday Feast: Lemon Garlic Whole Roast Chicken

Add 1/4 C sugar, 1/4 C salt, 1 bunch thyme, 4 crushed garlic cloves, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 bay leaf, and 1 tsp peppercorns to enough water to submerse the whole chicken and allow to brine overnight.

The next day, drain and rinse the chicken. Pat dry. Stuff the chicken cavity with 1 quartered lemon, 4 large cloves of crushed garlic, 2 tsp salt, 4 sprigs thyme, and 1/2 stick of butter. Just jam it all in there. Rub the outside of the chicken with butter and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and thyme. Turn the oven to 375 and roast that bird! Baste every 15 minutes or so with melted butter or a combination of melted butter and chicken stock. When the chicken startst to brown, start basting with the pan drippings. The chicken is done when juices from the leg joint run clear and the leg moves easily when jiggled.

Remove the chicken from the roasting pan and tent with foil. Skim off the fat from the roasting pan drippings. Add 1 tbsp of so of flour to the pan and heat on a burner. Heat the flour mixture over medium-high heat and scrape up all those tasty little bits. Now, add a couple cups of chicken stock and some pepper. You have gravy! You may need to use more flour (dissolved in a little water or stock) to thicken the gravy to your liking.

Carve the chicken and serve with garlic mashed potatoes, gravy, fresh green beans and a homebrew. Oh yeah, then smoke a good cigar!

SB

Edit: You can use the neck and gizzard of the chicken to make a stock while the chicken is roasting. Just add the chicken parts to water and add in 1 stick celery, 1 bay leaf, peppercorns, thyme sprigs, 1 small carrot, and salt. Simmer, strain, use!

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SilvrBck said:
Sunday Feast: Lemon Garlic Whole Roast Chicken
Sounds delicious! Can't wait to try this one!!!!

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One more for today:

Gumbo

Makes: 10 servings

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - chopped
1/2 pound pork sausage links, thinly sliced
1 cup olive oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons minced garlic
3 quarts chicken broth
1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer
6 stalks celery, diced
4 roma (plum) tomatoes, diced
1 sweet onion, sliced
1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, with liquid
2 tablespoons chopped fresh red chile peppers
1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 cup Cajun seasoning
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined

Directions
1. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat, and cook chicken until no longer pink and juices run clear. Stir in sausage, and cook until evenly browned. Drain chicken and sausage, and set aside.

2. In a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat, blend olive oil and flour to create a roux. Stir constantly until browned and bubbly. Mix in garlic, and cook about 1 minute.

3. Gradually stir chicken broth and beer into the roux mixture. Bring to a boil, and mix in celery, tomatoes, sweet onion, diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, red chile peppers, parsley, and Cajun seasoning. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer about 40 minutes, stirring often.

4. Mix chicken, sausage, and shrimp into the broth mixture. Cook, stirring frequently, about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Here's a quickie for those who need to get things on the table in a hurry. My kids love it.

Ingredients:
2-Hot Dogs (Oscar Mayer are my favorite)
1- Box Microwave macaroni and cheese (Cheese and Macaroni from Kraft works best)
1- Package Kool-Aid (grape)
1 cup- Sugar (for the Kool-Aid)

Prepare mac-n-cheese as directed on the box. While it is cooking, prepare Kool-Aid, as directed on package. After mac-n-cheese is done, put hot dogs in microwave for about 1 and 1/2 minutes. Serve warm.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
:D Another one I enjoy, a bit more serious than the last one. :)

We call it Slime Chicken.
Serves four
4- boneless chicken breasts cut into pieces
1 can- Campbells Tomato Soup
1 can- Campbells Golden Mushroom Soup
Rice
Noodles

Mix tomato soup and golden mushroom soup in medium casserol(sp?) dish and add chicken. Stir chicken into the soup "gravy". Microwave for ~30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Cook rice and noodles. Serve "slime" cicken over rice and noodles. Serve warm.

·
In Mojita Mania
614 Posts
I've got a nice quick one too that I love to make once every week or two. I'll list the ingredients for preparing it for one person, then anyone who makes it can adjust for the amount of people being served.

1/4 lb. Panchetta (diced)
12 Shrimp (21-25 count, peeled and de-veined)
1/2 can peas (think the large can is about an 8oz. can)
1/2 pint heavy cream
lots of fresh grated parmesan cheese :)
Salt
Pepper
Olive Oil
1/3 lb. of your favorite pasta ( I tend to use Linguine, but if you wanted to make this as an appetizer, you could make smaller portions and use angel hair.)

Start boiling water for pasta, when it is at a boil add pasta, then start steps below.

In sautee pan (over medium heat) brown panchetta, then add shrimp (making sure that all shrimp are on their side), flip shrimp and then pour in half can of peas. Wait a minute, then add heavy cream and turn down heat to low, stir occasionally. A couple of minutes later add good amount of Parmesan cheese.

Pasta should be done now, drain it and plate (if you have a large enough sautee pan, you can add the drained pasts to the sautee pan and then just plate the whole thing). Pour ingredients in sautee pan over pasta and sprinkle more Parmesan cheese over. Salt and Pepper to taste.

Enjoy!

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
Rasberry PannaCotta

Here's a recipe for one of my favorite desserts, Rasberry PannCotta. It is an Italian Creme dessert that is very light and smooth. It is perfect for a summer day or for whenever you're trying to impress your girlfriend by making a fancy dinner with little hassle (just ask my fiance' it worked on her ;) ). If I had to compare it with anything it would probably closest resemble a lighter creamier version of creme brulee' except without the hard carmelized top. Anyway here it is.

1 quart cream
1 1/8 cups granulated sugar
1 Package of unflavored gelatin (check the the packet for how much you will need to thicken this volume)
1 Dash Vanilla
1 cup milk
A handful of fresh Rasberries

First take the recommended amount of gelatin and sprinkle it over the milk in a sauce pan. Let the gelatin sit on top of the milk for about 10-15 minutes. While its sitting slowly combine your cream and sugar in a large mixing bowl until all the sugar is dissolved. After this add the dash of vanilla to the Cream mixture. Then mix the milk and gelatin together while letting it slowly rise in temperature over the flame. Remeber, Don't BOIL the milk. Let the milk gently rise to around 160 degrees or so. Remove from flame and gently combine the milk mixture with the cream mixture in the bowl. Stir slowly until all of the ingredients have mixed together.

Next take 8 individual portion custard cups or those little tupperware containers (you know the really really small ones) and put 2 rasberries in the bottom. Then fill each cup with the mixture in the mixing bowl. Chill these cups for 2-3 hours before serving. The best way to present them is on individual dessert plates. Just turn the container upside down and gently nudge the custard out of the container. It should hold the nice round shape of the container and have 2 rasberries smiling up at you. Then drizzle with whatever topping you like caramel, chocolate, I prefer a rasberry reduction but hey whatever floats your boat.

And ENJOY!!!

·
CS Noob Ambassador
1,194 Posts
What about that shrimp we made when I was there Marc? That was good!

I shouldn't post recipes since I could go on for days, but I willing to search my voluminous collection of cookbooks for any requests if need be, so anybody feel free to ask, I will try to come up with an answer

PaulMac

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
PaulMac said:
What about that shrimp we made when I was there Marc? That was good!

I shouldn't post recipes since I could go on for days, but I willing to search my voluminous collection of cookbooks for any requests if need be, so anybody feel free to ask, I will try to come up with an answer

PaulMac
Do you have a recipe for Cuban Black Bean Soup?

·
CS Noob Ambassador
1,194 Posts
DonJefe said:
Do you have a recipe for Cuban Black Bean Soup?
this is my first shot, if ya lookin for something diff let me know, this is shown as Southwest black bean soup, so lemme know if it close ta what ya lookin for

1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 pound dried black beans
2 cups cubed fully cooked smoked ham
6 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons ground red chiles
2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes, undrained
1 canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce

Cook and stir onion and garlic in oil in 4 quart dutch oven until onion is tender. Stir in remaining ingredients; heat to boiling. Boil 2 minutes; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until beans are tender, about 2 1/4 hours. If you have an immersion blender use that, otherwise, in 1/4 batches, process in food processor til smooth.

Lemme know if that what ya after, that from first source I checked so maybe I have something better

PaulMac

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PaulMac said:
this is my first shot, if ya lookin for something diff let me know, this is shown as Southwest black bean soup, so lemme know if it close ta what ya lookin for

1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 pound dried black beans
2 cups cubed fully cooked smoked ham
6 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons ground red chiles
2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes, undrained
1 canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce

Cook and stir onion and garlic in oil in 4 quart dutch oven until onion is tender. Stir in remaining ingredients; heat to boiling. Boil 2 minutes; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until beans are tender, about 2 1/4 hours. If you have an immersion blender use that, otherwise, in 1/4 batches, process in food processor til smooth.
Lemme know if that what ya after, that from first source I checked so maybe I have something better

PaulMac
Sounds great, but I don't think I'll turn my batch into baby food!

·
CS Noob Ambassador
1,194 Posts
hee hee, just givin ya the recipe as I got it!
I concur, would be much better as is

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
WTF Ham & Beans

No recipe, that's why I call em WTF.

Ham, diced. The good stuff that came off of a bone & smoked. A coupla smoked ham hocks for flavor is good too. However much you wanta put in. Don't use the water pumped "pig sponge" kind.

Pinto beans, dry. Whatever you think.

Great Northern (Yankee Beans), dry. WTF.

Black beans, dry. WTF.

Lentils, dry. A good handful, or WTF.

Any other legume that sounds good to you.......you know the drill by now.

Lots of chopped fresh onions......WTF.

Some black pepper......you got it.

Water, of course.

Simmer in big pot til the beans are about done.

Add some cayenne or Louisiana hot sauce. I don't like to make em hot, but just enough to give it a little flavor.

Maybe a bit of salt to taste, depending on how much salt the ham has added to the soup.

Now, the secret ingredient........summer savory. Try a tablespoon & taste. You can add some more if you like.

Enjoy! :fu :D

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like your recipe style Kansashat! My grandfather called it "flying by the seat of your pants". WTF Ham & Beans! :D

·
Punch Suckling in Brain
1,116 Posts
Winter Wild Rice Soup. Really good on a cold day

1 bunch celery Salt, Pepper
1 lb lean ground beef 2 cans Cream of Mushroom soup
2. Beef bullion Cubes 1 pack of wild rice (only wild rice, not the mix)
Shot of your favorite hot sauce 3 1/2 cups water

In one pan brown beef. In soup pot add 1/2 cup water. 1 bullion cube celery, salt pepper.

When beef is done drain and add to soup pot. Add rest of water, hot sauce, 2nd bullion cube wild rice. Set to med and cover.

In about 45 mins the wild rice will pop open. Wait until this happens.

Add cream of mushroom soup. Taste. Resalt/pepper hot sauce to taste. Serve with lots of bread.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is a good one for Thanksgiving!

Priceless Pecan Pie
This is an all time favorite Thanksgiving dessert. It has layers of creamy cheesecake, crunchy pecans, and smooth custard.

Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
Makes: 1 - 9 inch deep dish pie

Ingredients
1 (9 inch) deep dish pie crust
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans
3 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup white sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

2. In a medium mixing bowl, blend together cream cheese, 1/3 cup sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. When mixture is smooth, spread into bottom of pastry shell. Sprinkle cream cheese layer with chopped pecans.

3. In another medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, 1/4 cup sugar, corn syrup, evaporated milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Whisk until mixture is smooth. Pour mixture over pecan layer.

4. Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, until set in center.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.