Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i've been curious about smoking cigars since i was in college, picked up a few brands, swisher (dont laugh), Don diego, Punch, black and milds, Playboy by Don diego, Acid... anyways I just want some basic info on cutting, lighting, choosing a cigar, and mostly smoking it.... how to puff or draw or what not, I think I might be smoking them like cigarettes or joints, lol, hitting it hard and drawing in to much smoke, making it taste poor, I have yet to find a cigar that tasted like anything but ash and burning, except for the Acid...well sorta....stinging my tounge.
please help....

-Moron

· Registered
1,076 Posts
Don't Fret Chet!!! It sound like you are on to a good start with the cigars you have chosen.

It sound like a few problems that you are having. I think you maybe burning the cigar when you light up. Try holding the flame a little away fro the cigar and sucking it into the cigar this will make a much better light.

Also you may be smoking to fast. Try to take a puff then wait about 30 sec to a minute until the next puff.

And lastly Purge baby Purge. There is a big thread in the world cigar lounge on purging.

Oh don't smoke the cigars like a joint the roach clip ruins the wrapper.

· DymOnamic
1,031 Posts
Hey welcome to the Jungle foxtrot 15222. I can only pass along something I learned from some of the chatters here, nothing good comes from cigars fast, go slow....relaxnsmoke.

The opposite of a joint...which you should attack like badger on bennies. :w

· What would Skeeter do?
4,575 Posts
relaxnsmoke said:
The opposite of a joint...which you should attack like badger on bennies. :w
RNS,
I am shocked & dismayed that you would know anything about joints or bennies (benzedrine tablets).
I personally know absolutely nothing about them. :fu

BTW, welcome foxtrot. :D

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I'll read up on the purging. and I'm a bit figety so I'm sure I'm smoking them often, but I've had a few go out on me. I first blow the smoke out of the stogie, then relight with the same "no touchie" method. So lets talk about the draw... How do you guys draw you sticks? personally I've been sucking on the end like a cigarette, fast and pretty strongly. I've been trying a slow gentle draw, using my tounge to pull the smoke in my mouth, rather than sucking on the end. But you gotta suck some right, lol I wanna do this right to make sure I get the "flavor" out of it. I know 'hitting it hard' can heat up the smoke and make it taste foul.(so I've read). My friend who says he knows cigars told me to inhale slightly to pull the smoke to the back of my throat, to get the full flavor. it sorta worked. but only tried it with that playboy. plus it's hard to keep from choking or making myself sick. so come on men lets hear some comments and suggestions....

· Registered
967 Posts
As a former cigarette smoker, I've had to battle trying to smoke cigars too quickly myself.

I think a hard pull is fine, just not so many in succession. I don't think the "lapping the smoke out" technique will garner much success however.

You could start with milder cigars. I would assume that fuller bodied, more complex smokes would overpower a newer smoker's palate. The RyJ Vintage III and the Don Tomas Candela are two that I enjoy. I'm sure anyone here would offer up a lot more options (and opinions) as well.

You might also want to try cigars in robusto sizes. The thicker ring gauge will smoke a little cooler while the length will not cost you an exorbitant amount of time.

You'll get a better handle on what cigars in what sizes you enjoy most as you go along, but I think this is a fair place to start.

· What would Skeeter do?
4,575 Posts
foxtrot15222 said:
I've been sucking fast and pretty strongly. I've been trying slow gentle using my tounge to pull rather than sucking on the end. But you gotta suck some to pull to the back of my throat, it's hard to keep from choking....
Now I admit that this is a bit raw. I don't wish to offend anyones sensibilities, but I ask you. IS THIS HOW THE PRESS DOES IT?

:z

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, I just finished smoking a Excalibur # 3 by Hoyo Monterrey. WOW tasty. I just puffed away and it was goooooood. Seemed flavored even though it's not. what I've been looking for. something with a nice taste, not tar and ash flavor coating my tounge,I just slowly draw the smoke into my mouth now. lightly sucking the end.(HA) I also tried the "purging" thing. seem to work. though I did it alot. but the first time the stogie tasted awful, I did that and the flavor seem to come right back. gonna keep experimenting with that, I just light up my lighter and blow the smoke out, didn't really get a "flame thrower" but the flame was a purple kinda color. when i did it towards the end of the cigar, it did it though, just for a split second. BOOM. blow out for several seconds, not sure if I'm doing it right. anyways I enjoyed it so much that I smoked it down to about 2 inches, then it was just tasting bad so I set it down. anyways I think I've found a cigar I could enjoy. coments, suggestions?

· What would Skeeter do?
4,575 Posts
Ok. I'll be serious. Here's what I do, but may not work for anyone else.

I puff the cigar, sounds better than suck, & French inhale some of the smoke that's wafting up from the foot of the cigar to the back of my throat & into my mouth. I know that I am not inhaling into my lungs as I can blow air from my lungs back out through my nose, while holding the smoke in my mouth, & no smoke comes out. I also know I haven't inhaled the cigar smoke as I can still breath. I also blow the smoke that I have trapped in my palate back out through my nose. Since I am a big cigar waver & sniffer (similar to enjoying the bouqet of a fine wine or cognac), I find this practice very satisfying. I must admit that after a 5 cigar day, my sinuses can be a little plugged & irritated, but get so much enjoyment from this that I will not stop.

Have also just learned the benefits of "flame purging" (sounds like a bulemic with highly acidic diahrea doesn't it?) & have found that this improves the flavor & aroma of the cigar.

Just take things at your own speed & you will figure out what makes you happy. Like RNS said, relax & smoke. That is what it is all about anyway. It is NOT a monkey on your back like cigarettes. It is a beautiful JOURNEY of exploration & discovery. Enjoy! :)

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well as I mentioned before I smoked a Excalibur 3, it tasted great. I just puff twice quick, then slowly draw on it. seems to taste wonderful. I try holding the smoke in my mouth and inhaling thru my nose. I heard that works for wine. anyways, I think I'm "smoking" them right. but I'll try a frech inhale without the inhale. lol just needed to find a good cigar. lol. anyways still lay down the hints and suggestions, I'm still listening. and willing to learn from the higher ups in the pack...

· Registered
931 Posts
Foxtrot -
Not that we are not more than willing to help, but some of the initial basics can be a little hard to learn on line. Example - cutting, lighting and drawing techniques can better be learned in person. If you were a neighbor I would stop by. I suggest you hang out at your local cigar shop to get some answers as well. Good Luck.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I've thought about swinging by the local cigar shop. but it's an "old school" place. A group of middle aged gentlemen sitting in big leather chairs puffing on huge cigars. they have a humidor thats literally the size of my bedroom. A huge selection of cigars I've never heard of. though I'm becoming more familar with the brands. I saw one for 30 bucks in a wooden tube, I tried to open it, to get a smell, and the guy came in the room "We prefer you dont open the tubes"... kinda like ' get outta here kid!' thought about asking them, but I'm just a college student I dont think they'd take me serious if I asked them "how do you smoke a cigar", who knows.... Also I'm ditching my zippo. the flame dances around to freakin much you can't really control the lighting process, so i'm gonna try to find a butane jet style lighter. thinking that will help the taste a bit, since the zippo smells of lighter fluid big time. Also, whats better, puffing a few quick puffs, or drawing slowly to fill your mouth? let me know....
-Fox

· Registered
931 Posts
Fox -
I "draw" a large amount of smoke into my mouth and then just slowly blow it out. I do not inhale. I may wait 30 seconds or I may wait a couple minutes until I take another puff. There is no hurry, it is not a cigarette, it is for enjoyment.
While the smoke is in my mouth, while I am blowing out and for a short time after that I can taste the smoke. Thousands of different cigars, thousands of different tastes. There in lies the hobby. Finding what tastes good to me and what I enjoy.
Again, some of this is difficult to explain over the internet. You could PM me your phone number and I would be glad to answer any other questions you. have. :)

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey guys, this will probably be deleted before anyone see's it, but I was curious whats the rules on buying cigars online from websites outside the US (say canada) and having them shipped to the US. I dont know what the rules are, I know Cubans are illegal, but just curious if anyone knows what the rules state.... I'm not a smuggler, just curious. To busy smoking my American cigars. lol
Email me if you dont wanna post.
-fox

· Registered
2,182 Posts
Welcome the CS foxtrot.

About the "old guys sitting in leather chairs" I would highly recommend going in with a nice stick, sitting down and chating with them. Remember that they too were once a "Newbie" to smoking cigars. I'm sure they would be more then happy to show, tell you anything you want to know about the correct way to smoke a cigar.

Also smart move on ditching the Zippo.....The fuel in a zippo can interfer with the taste of the cigar. Colibri has some lighters out that are meant for lighting pipes. They re suppose to be really nice. Might want to check those out. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.