Cigar Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I have settled on a few things in the last 18 months of actively enjoying this hobby (1-3 per week): I like maduro the best, I like Robusto sizes, and my top go-to's are LGC, Padron, Don Tomas, and Onyx.

That said, I continue to be intrigued by the Montecristo labels and would appreciate some frank input from you all re: if this brand is as great as the advertising says, and how good are those exotic Afrique sticks?

I know only a handful of guys who are into cigars, and none of them seems to have much experience with Montecristo except one mentioned that the White Label is the best....

Appreciate your $0.02.......

·
Registered
949 Posts
I agree with Trejo Monte's are decent stick but not for the price. I would look to an Oliva or a Fuente before a Monte. Both Less Money and just as good.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have tried most of the Monte line while avoiding Fuente because the Monte's cost more therefore they must be better :rolleyes: . Now i have learned that i was foolish...the Fuente's are a much better smoke and IMHO the quality is much better. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have to say that I also like maduro better than others and a larger ring gauge seems to suit me better as well, be it a robusto, toro, or belicoso. I am partial to the Padron, Fuente, and Bolivar Fuerte line. I would definately agree on the Fuente and Olivia being as good or better than the Monte, and they can usually be had for less money. Look into those lines if you have never tried them, better yet pm me your address and I will send you a couple of sticks to try.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate your offer Brian, and will send you a note. I have some Fuentes that I can trade with you for a couple of Bolivars or Olivias, both of which I have not tried yet. Thanks!

·
Registered
132 Posts
the monte afriques are a pretty different type of smoke. (the littlest size, lemoso or something like that.) they are sort of spicy and chocolaty at the same time.
also the monte peruvians in the cardboard sleeve are pretty good too; lots of flavor.
imho the other montes are mild yuppie cigars. ymmv

edit:
have not tried any of the serie v line, though some reliable guys have told me they are good...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the great input! I may pick up a couple of Afrique singles just to see for myself. Their marketing is certainly very convincing....

·
Registered
718 Posts
wouldestous said:
the monte afriques are a pretty different type of smoke
I picked up the Monte Afrique Ngorongoro 444s in a deal from JR recently. They're 4 1/4 x 44. I like them. All that I've smoked so far have burned evenly the whole way down. The Cameroon wrapper gives them an interesting flavor - mildly spicy, a little nutty, with a floral finish (that gets stronger as it burns down).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've only ventured to try one Montecristo (and only then because it was part of a local weekly tasting), and it was well-made & tasted great. It was the Serie V Robusto IIRC. Not quite worth what they retail for but was well worth the ~$1.66 I paid for it :D

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
Having had very liitle experiance w/the ISOM Monte's, I can't really give you any info there, but......IMHO the original DR Monte line is over rated & over priced. Kinda like Chivas Regal scotch. A nice mild cigar, but you can get a mild cigar that is just as good for a fraction of the price.

Monte Afrique are very nice! You gotta try em.

Monte Peruvian is one that a lot of folks have panned in the reviews, but I like em. They are more full bodied & in your face.

Monte Club Cabinet. Am not sure about this one yet. Have only had a box of #30's for a few weeks. The nose is there, but the flavor hasn't settled in yet.

Monte Platinum. Have had some that were very enjoyable & some I wasn't impressed with, but have only had a few, so hard to say. The first of these I smoked is in my review book, so will have to post here.

Monte Serie V I haven't tried, but have a couple of the Serie VI beli's in the humidor & have tried them, but I can't remember. Will top off the nite with one as it looks a bit tattered. I had taken it out of the cello a few months ago & it must of gotten bumped :(

Haven't tried the Delacroix.

Monte White. Nice mild cigar, but am not sure I like em. Have posted a couple of reviews here. Definitely not worth the asking price IMHO.

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
Monte Serie VI belicoso. Am smoking right now. Nice! A good Cameroon. Some of that Cammie spiciness & zip, with a light hickory tone. There were light notes of cedar in the pre-light & the finish at 1st. There is something in the nose, & finish, that reminds me of old leather & books. Like a library. The construction is questionable, with a big soft spot, & a slightly tight draw in the 1st third. This loosens up though. Am still smoking, but the flavor has kind of backed off in the 2nd half. I do like it, however. :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
K-Hat...thanks for the great input. I am definitely going to try the Afrique line out! I'm a sucker for their "safari" marketing ploy......makes me think of Hemingway and other historical figures who lived in a glorious time when men could smoke cigars whenever the hell they liked (versus myself who has to make sure kids are not around, and I have to sit out on the deck!). :rolleyes:

thanks again.....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Got an Afrique 5r from JR. The 1st sample burned near perfect and proved very flavorful. Number two proved the same. Gonna share the remaining at work tomorrow to toast in the weekend.

K

·
Registered
394 Posts
Treyjo43 said:
I don't enjoy Domestic Monte's, IMO your are mainly paying for the name on the box and not for the quality of the smoke. There are better cigars out there for less $$$ that I would rather smoke :cool:
I couldn't agree with you more.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.