Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, have been looking for a new vehicle for a while - husband has definite $$ restrictions on what I can spend.

Found an 2003 Audi A6 3.0 Quattro for a decent price - it's fairly tricked out as far as standard options - Is it worth it? How's longevity?

and why the HEDOUBLEHOCKEYSTICKS can't I find a crash test rating anywhere? Why don't they test??? the latest they have on the A6 is 1998??? What's up with that?

HELLLLPPPP! Decision to be made by monday afternoon!

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,591 Posts
If you keep up with a German car, you will get 250k out of the engine. The electrical problems will drive you nuts, but overall it will last. I think the new Audis have made some great improvements though. It seems that everyone I know that has one really likes it.

If you want, give me the VIN on it. I can get you its history as well as the safety tests from CarFax.

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
Churchlady said:
Ok, have been looking for a new vehicle for a while - husband has definite $$ restrictions on what I can spend.

Found an 2003 Audi A6 3.0 Quattro for a decent price - it's fairly tricked out as far as standard options - Is it worth it? How's longevity?

HELLLLPPPP! Decision to be made by monday afternoon!
More information such as mileage, what the features are, auto..manual, etc would help determining value - "is it worth it". I expect you're looking in the low to mid $30s for a car with 20-40K miles. I can't find crash data either, but I would think Audis would be pretty good, and with AWD you have a big advantage in snow. I think repair costs for audis is higher than average, thats the only reason besides price differential that made me buy an Outback instead. I would avoid turbo A4 versions unless you plan to keep the car less than 100-120K miles (turbo repairs are nasty). Personally, I'd always buy a manual tranny because they are more reliable and less $ to repair. Also, what sort of warranty comes with the car? Private sale or dealer? Nice car, I like them a lot.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
http://www.intellichoice.com/reports/vehicleReport/vehicle_nmb/100019743/section/safety http://www.edmunds.com/used/2003/audi/a6/100180803/prices.html

value

http://www.safecarguide.com/mak/audi/idx.htm

Ok, now this is only my personal opinion. I drove a A6 3.0 for a week or so & this was my impression (as an '04 Audi S4 owner):

The seats sucked. Felt like padded park benches. I guess Im used to better & more support in seating.

The suspension was a bit too "floaty" for my tastes. Its more of a luxury model then performance, so I guess its fair fit. Lots of lean & roll in turns. A performance set of anti sway bars would help a lot.

Audi's warranty is tranferrable 4 year/50,000 and all scheduled maintenance is included & free of charge at any Audi dealer. Many other european manufactures dont offer that. Many times its the first & second only thats free, but after that the scheduled maintenance is on your dime.

Audis full time all wheel drive (Quattro) is fantastic for adverse road conditions but adds a lot of weight to the vehicle which dosent help gas milage if thats a concern.

The fit & finish of the interior is second to none in most all the newer Audis.

I noticed that Audis glass seems softer than many other cars, so the windshield will pit from road debris faster than expected.

If you like to keep a clean car, you'll be cleaning the wheels more oftern than expected as well. Audis brake pads create more brake dust than one could ever imagine.

All in all, after taking many things into consideration the question would be: would I buy another Audi? My answer would be a definite yes. Im already anticipating the possible arrival of the Audi RS4 to the US in '06. If confirmed, that'll be my next car.

Hope this helps a little! Enjoy whatever your car choice is!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies! Am digging through the stuff now. Value wise it seems in range.. I just want to make sure it's gonna last and not make me crazy~

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
If you're looking for a luxury vehicle that will keep and last a while, I'd stick with Lexus and Infinity. German cars can be hit or miss sometimes. Also, be sure that you can afford up and above the amount required for just the payments. If you aren't prepared financially, the repair costs can break the bank if something happens to fail.

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,591 Posts
Brandon said:
If you're looking for a luxury vehicle that will keep and last a while, I'd stick with Lexus and Infinity. German cars can be hit or miss sometimes. Also, be sure that you can afford up and above the amount required for just the payments. If you aren't prepared financially, the repair costs can break the bank if something happens to fail.
If an Infiniti catches your eye, I would highly recommend that. The levels of refinement are not on par with similar sized/engine Audis, but the quality is there. And I hate to admit that, I started out my automotive life working on German and Swedish cars and have had a long love affair with them (unfortunately its kind of a Larry Flynt type of thing, magazines and rentals only).

Lexus is also a great car, but Ive always leaned more towards Nissan than Toyota.

PS...the new G35 :z

·
Registered
672 Posts
AAlmeter said:
If an Infiniti catches your eye, I would highly recommend that. The levels of refinement are not on par with similar sized/engine Audis, but the quality is there. And I hate to admit that, I started out my automotive life working on German and Swedish cars and have had a long love affair with them (unfortunately its kind of a Larry Flynt type of thing, magazines and rentals only).

Lexus is also a great car, but Ive always leaned more towards Nissan than Toyota.

PS...the new G35 :z
What Swedish car? SAAB or Volvo or both?

·
Registered
430 Posts
You mentioned the car is 2003, then the question is if you are going to keep the car past its warranty period/mileage. IMO Audi's are great cars if purchased new, however, as a used car without dealer warranty, I would not go near them! (I have personal experience with my A4's many problems after 60K).

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WEll, it's a done deal. Went out and got an Audi A6 2.7T (different from the original post) - 9000 miles 6 years 90,000 miles left on the dealer warrenty - it's a certified used. All I'm supposed to have to do is put gas in it - we'll see.... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nice car...my sister has a 2000 A4 1.6T, and Bro-in-law has a 1999 A8 and it is a great ride. I always have been a fan of Audi's, mainly the S4. I would have also recommended the Ininiti G35 or Nissan Maxima, as I am a Nissan fan (and owner).

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does this mean I get to use the :z emoticon now?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Heeeeheeee!!!

Thanks! guys, I'm really jazzed about this thing - it's such a fun ride! (The seats on this one are fairly comfy - musta had some big guys riding in it to "break em in".)

Hey, poker, can you make me an audi avatar in black???? :D

Never drive faster than your angels can fly - terminal velocity for an angel must be 175, cause that's where my spedometer stops .... :z

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
Nice car CL. Now, if we could get a picture of you in it......

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you know that car ad that aalmeter posted? I wouldn't want to do that to you guys... :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.