Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am researching the purchase of my first humidor. I have decided that I don’t want to go the tupperdor or igloodor route as I would just prefer to have the real deal. I don’t currently hoard a great number of cigars. In fact I usually only have 2-6 sticks on hand at any given time but I would obviously like to begin building my supply. I have checked out the humidor offerings at many websites and at my local Tinder Box. I have found that many (most?) are quite expensive but I have also seen some that are on the cheap side as well.

I think for my first time around I don’t want to spend more than $100 or so. Aesthetics can take a back seat to function if it means keeping within my budget but I don’t want to spend any amount of money on a humidor that is so poorly made that it can’t do its job.

I think I would want the capacity to store at least 50 sticks. My reasoning here is that I could purchase and store a box of cigars and still have enough space left over for many different single sticks. As I am just starting out with this hobby I’m trying many different brands and shapes to see what I do and don’t like.

From everything I have read I know I should also go with a digital hygrometer over an analog model for better accuracy. I don’t mind purchasing this separately if needed and the price of this won’t be considered within my $100 humidor budget.

I would really appreciate if folks could share any recommendations based on personal experience with entry level humidors. Next time around I’m sure I’ll want to “step up” to a nicer model but for now I just want what I need to get started.

I thank you all in advance for any assistance you may provide!

-Craig

·
Registered
58 Posts
G

·
Just my $.02 here, which you might want treat with skepticism 'cuz I'm new, but I would make my initial purchase from a brick & mortar [b&m] location, just so you are not disappointed with whatever comes in the mail.

There is some debate on what constitutes an adequate seal, i.e., does one hear the "whoosh", or does one hear the "clap" when the lid closes. Whichever side of the debate you are on, then you can at least ensure that what you are getting is what you want if you see it live before you purchase.

The whoosh/clap varies within the same model :confused:. So when you do pick a model that you like at a B&M location, make sure they let you take it out of the box and test it first, so that it meets your preference.

Some of the more experienced folks here can provide more background on the facts and opinions about seals.

I would invest in a diigital hygrometer also.

My first desktop was a B&M purchase, my travel humidor was a "blind" purchase. I was not disappointed with either.

Regards,

4A

·
-
11,412 Posts
i have to 2nd what ChrisM has said.

i have personally purchased a humi from these guys. their site is called http://www.tampahumidor.com/

the ONLY advice i can give you is to stay away from the humi's with all the cool slide out drawers on the front. and, buy a digital hygrometer, as the ones they throw in there SUCK royally.

i have the ravello humi, which as i'm typing this, is the 300 count that's got 7 hours to go at the top of his page.

2 of my co-workers have also purchased humi's from him. one has a nice 150 count with a leaf inlay, the other has one of the new 3 drawer kinds... he's having problems right now, but he hasn't even had the time to set it up yet since we travel so much. just stick to the kind with the lid on top, you'll be fine.

but, as they have been saying, get one BIG ENOUGH... my first was a 150 count, and it doesn't come close to holding 150.... maybe 150 petit corona's... still works nice, got it for cheap as well.

anyway, that's what i'd tell you to do.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Damn!
http://www.tampahumidor.com/
Them's good prices!!

Have personally picked up a couple of the humidors shown here this past year (including a road warrior), purchased elsewhere where I paid a lot more money!

Thanks for the info.

MoTheMan

·
-
11,412 Posts
MoTheMan said:
i just went to bargainhumidors and checked out the ravello that i bought for 119... they have it for 149... exact same humi.

sometimes, that guys ebay auctions (that ChrisM linked to) are NOT buy it now, and you can pick one up even cheaper than the website if you're very lucky.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the great feedback!

Four Aces, thanks for the seal info. I had never considered that issue before. I will try to educate myself on that subject. I wish I could purchase locally but unfortunately I don't have many B&M options here in Mobile, AL...just Tinder Box and their selection is very limited (and expensive).

I checked out both bargainhumidors.com and Tampahumidor.com and they both seem to have some great offerings.

<sigh> I am so damn impatient! Browsing those sites as I am typing this reply...I just ordered the Ravello (thanks IHT!) and a digital hygrometer from tampahumidor.com. I am on my way now! :w

I did notice that shipping & insurance from the ebay auction is $18.10 but by ordering through the Company website I got UPS ground for only $10.95.

Thank you all for providing me with such useful information!

I can't wait to get my new toy! I guess once I get it setup and stabilized I'll need to start figuring out what to stock it with.

-Craig

·
-
11,412 Posts
next thing you'll want to look into, down the road, is a new type of humidification device/system/media.

i've got my climmax media on the way, along with one of their tubos (for my travel humi).

i don't think that humi is really big enough to warrant getting a cigar oasis, but getting a pound of climmax media would be worth it. now, depends on what you're gonna put in there, non-cubans or cubans.

but i'll shut up for now, plenty more guys on here that know more than i do.

<edit> i'll just add that the ravello humi is .67 cubic feet on the inside, in case you were needing that info for humidification purposes.</edit>

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IHT, thanks for the additional info. Will the humidifiers included with the Ravello do the job adequately for me starting out? If I understand properly, I just need to use a 50/50 mix of distilled water and Propylene Glycol, right?

As for what I'll be storing...a little bit of anything/everything to start out. Probably non-Cuban for now but once I figure out what I am doing I will most certainly be interested in acquiring the good stuff. I'll stick with the domestics until I learn how to properly take care of cigars though.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Well, I suppose I'm a bit late with this but if you're still interested in some info...

I've used primarily tupperware and a big cooler for my box storage. I keep it in the basement so aesthetics aren't the most important to me. I've lined mine with spanish cedar and use a home made florist foam humidistat with the 50/50 PG/distilled water solution that a lot of folks use. Untill you get a reasonable amount of stock on hand, the humidity can fluctuate more rapidly than with other means but I've found it to be generally successfull. What others are saying about the climmax beads seems to indicate that they are more reliable than the old florist foam rig. I just don't have the experience with it.

Usually a manufactuer uses corona sized cigars as the standard to determine the capacity of thier humidors. When I started I though all I'd need would be a 50 count box too. Well, after about 2 years of the hobby that changed. If you get into this you will be looking for more storage, just like everyone else said. That's how I got into the tupperware/igloo method.

I do have a couple of reasonble humidors that I got in a few JR deals. They actually do a pretty good job! I'm in the process of upgrading to a mini cabinet humidor with an active humidifyer so hopefully I'll have less to fuss about. It sure will be nice to stash my goodies in something that's both good looking and functional.

Once you get going, you'll also develop a good sense of humidity by doing a visual check and a few squeeze tests on the feet of your cigars. I prefer to use hygrometers more as a general guide line.

Good luck with your new humidor(s)!

Happy smoking!
-E

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
If I might weigh in on this...

forget the 50 count humidor because you will outgrow it in six months and wind up wishing that you had gotten more room. To throw yet another monkey wrench into the equation, I believe that temperature is a consideration also. If your home doesn't maintain a steady 65 or so, you may want to consider refrigeration.

There are some rather inexpensive wine coolers that can be modified to work as a humidor. Total cost on these puppies is around $400.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I bought my Humi off of tampahumidor. Not only was it a great deal buy they shipped it to me very quickly. But you will find yourself wanting/needing more room. I just got mine over a month or so ago and I already have a lot of cigars in it. Note...most of them were gifted to me from friends that I work with. Enjoy your humi, pretty soon you'll be like me buying another one.

:pu

·
-
11,412 Posts

yes, the humidifiers that come with it will work great, I'M STILL USING MINE! (just don't over humidify)

i ordered the climmax media for my smaller humi, which i am storing my cubans in... (and that humidifier kinda sucks..)

·
Light's on..No one's home
371 Posts
Lamar said:
If I might weigh in on this...

To throw yet another monkey wrench into the equation, I believe that temperature is a consideration also. If your home doesn't maintain a steady 65 or so, you may want to consider refrigeration.

There are some rather inexpensive wine coolers that can be modified to work as a humidor. Total cost on these puppies is around $400.
Take heed of these wise words from a seasoned veteran of many summer wars fighting the humidity and temperatures to maintain the quality of his fine isoms!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Being that I do live on the Gulf Coast, the temperature issue is something I have thought of. I always keep the house on the cold side but I know there are days in the summer when the A/C is fighting a losing battle.

A wine cooler may be something I consider in the future but I won't be in a position to purchase one any time soon. I figure that 2004 will be my learning year and I'll know more about my needs by the end of the summer.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I have learned more about cigars from this board in the last few days than I ever thought possible!

·
Bull Goose Gorilla
796 Posts
I'm going to throw in my thoughts here although it varies from what you are looking for. I own or have owned dozens of humidors over the years including some of the ones in discussion. The first thing I will say is that a cooler with climaxx beads beats most of them. If you are going to buy a humidor get a good one, that is the "real deal". A good humidor does not go for $100.00 or $150.00. Some of them may function, but it is a crap shoot. At least the cooler is consistent. The best humidors I own are from Arlin Liss, Bob Staebell, Davidoff, Zino (same company as Davidoff), Daniel Marshall, John Christopher. I am sure there are others, but these are mainstays. If you are serious about cigars you will outgrow or get tired of maintaining the cheap ones. My advice would be to invest in something good right off the bat or,once again, stay with a cooler with a good humi system. I am sure I will get some flack for this post, but as an example the bargain humidor's that I have purchased failed after a year or two while the Zino that I purchased 15 years ago works perfectly and I mean perfectly. A good humidor is worth the investment the humidor wannabees are not. IMHO!

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
While that advice from sgoselin is good. I think it should be stated that not everyone on this forum can afford such humidors. I know for a fact I can't. And I know some other who can't as well. And it's not like we work at McDonalds. We both have good jobs. But to spend 500+ on a humidor is very hard. So please keep that in mind. Its not that we don't want a really nice humi, If I could afford one I would. Its just not in the cards right now.

:pu

·
Bull Goose Gorilla
796 Posts
I understand that not everyone can afford $500 +. The time was when I could not. Which is why I suggest a good cooler system. It will hold lots of smokes in excellent condition and with a little creativity can be quite a set up. I have wasted money on crappy humidors that I regretted later. Save the money spent on a cheap humidor and buy more cigars.Save up for something good. In most things quality is the better value in the long run.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sgoselin, thanks much for your advice. I do value your opinion and realize there is probably much truth to you words. However, this is my first humidor purchase and I'm just not ready to spend several hundred dollars (or more) on equipment. In all honesty, I can't say that I am "serious" about cigars yet. Gimme a year or so and if I find the need to trade up to a better humidor then by all means I'll do it. But, for now my goal is to just get started and see if this is going to be a hobby I continue to find worthwhile.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.