Cigar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed lately that by using the pinch test to check for proper humidity levels hasn't been working very well for me. I just received a few different brands of cigars, and they are all rolled a little different, some tighter, some looser, etc. The pinch test is different for each one, and while some seem pretty "spongy", others don't give much at all. In fact, some even seem brittle. Is this normal?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Welcome.

Usually when people talk about a pinch test they are talking about pinching right at the foot of the cigar, where you should always get a little more play if the cigar is properly humidified. If it is dry it will usually be a little hard and might crackle (or crack) a little. Brittle is not good, but good cigar can range between firm and (somewhat) spongy dependent on the smokers taste. Some will disagree with that statement.

This is far more of an art than a science; just something you get used too with experience. I thought it was kinda' funny at first, but after a few years I hardly look at the hygrometers anymore just because I have a pretty good sense of what is natural in my humidor and how my smokes should feel.

bd

·
Registered
221 Posts
...I've also expanded on this and have been trying the pinch test on my wife to see if "tonight's the night Honey...."! woo-hooh! :D

So far, I've had little luck with that approach.......so I find that I need to console myself with a cold shower and a nice Padron or CAO maduro......sigh....

·
Registered
5 Posts
roadie said:
I've noticed lately that by using the pinch test to check for proper humidity levels hasn't been working very well for me. I just received a few different brands of cigars, and they are all rolled a little different, some tighter, some looser, etc. The pinch test is different for each one, and while some seem pretty "spongy", others don't give much at all. In fact, some even seem brittle. Is this normal?
This pinch test sounds somewhat difficult....but then I remember that I felt the same way when I was learning how to drive a 5 speed. I guess it will take some time - a shame, but what are ya gonna do?

·
Registered
221 Posts
To answer BayouDawg.......after 12 years of marriage and two kids, I have to admit she still maintains a nice humidity level! :D

Now I'll just stand back and let the firebolts fly in my general direction from all of the cigar-smoking-women in this forum who are anxious to tone down this obvious and shameless display of macho bullsh*t....... :fu

puff, puff.....

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Zing!! :D

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hey Lady...TAKE IT EASY! ....that one was a little on the low side and you never know, I just might need those again one day......... ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.