Cigar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I hate piezoelectric lighters. They always seem really nice, but eventually they die. Regular lighters you can replace the flint. Piezo's tho, I have no idea what to do. I splurged some time ago and bought myself the Alec Bradley burner, and for a long time I was very happy with it. I could easily light whatever I wanted with it, and even use it for making creme brulee. But in the last few months, it has become harder and harder to use because it no longer sparks. You have to click sometimes a couple of dozen times, but it won't spark. Once it does spark, you can get the thing lit no problem. Or if you introduce a different ignotion source separately, it's fine. But the piezoelectric just doesn't seem to spark any more. I've been using Xikar's fancy-schmancy butane 100% of the time, I cleaned off the piezo needle (in case soot was building up and acing as an insulator), tried moving the needle closer (in case it somehow got farther away and could no longer make the spark to reach across the gap) and all to no avail. Has anyone else managed to solve this problem?

·
Registered
580 Posts
It is possible that soot also covers the other side of the gap? I think if the warranty is up to think about investing in another lighter. Xikar come with lifetime warranties as you probably know and have an assortment of table top versions.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is possible that soot also covers the other side of the gap? I think if the warranty is up to think about investing in another lighter. Xikar come with lifetime warranties as you probably know and have an assortment of table top versions.
I hadn't even thought about the warranty. I'd just assumed it was some form of maintenance I wasn't doing properly. I did check on soot on both ends, but both looked pretty much good as new even before I did anything. It's less than 6 months old, I believe. Again tho, this is the same issue I see in every single blue flame lighter I've owned.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FWIW, I've been using a XIKAR lighter since April (6 months now) and carefully following their fill instructions, plus using their butane. I must say that I've been pretty stunned by how consistently excellent this lighter has been. I've *never* had a blue flame lighter last this long.

As for the burner, it still has issues with making the spark. The problem is that there's no way to remove the sharp sparking tip, which makes cleaning it a nightmare and a half.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi folks,

I hate piezoelectric lighters. They always seem really nice, but eventually they die. Regular lighters you can replace the flint. Piezo's tho, I have no idea what to do. I splurged some time ago and bought myself the Alec Bradley burner, and for a long time I was very happy with it. I could easily light whatever I wanted with it, and even use it for making creme brulee. But in the last few months, it has become harder and harder to use because it no longer sparks. You have to click sometimes a couple of dozen times, but it won't spark. Once it does spark, you can get the thing lit no problem. Or if you introduce a different ignotion source separately, it's fine. But the piezoelectric just doesn't seem to spark any more. I've been using Xikar's fancy-schmancy butane 100% of the time, I cleaned off the piezo needle (in case soot was building up and acing as an insulator), tried moving the needle closer (in case it somehow got farther away and could no longer make the spark to reach across the gap) and all to no avail. Has anyone else managed to solve this problem?
I found that the Piezo out of the long lighters used for lighting fires or propane has the same piezo. I have used them to replace them inside my Alec Bradley lighter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi folks,

Same Lighter can not find parts anywhere if you take the Two small screws out to remove the Sparker I found the wire had broke impossible to repair

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m thinking about going to sports store and finding an old Coleman flint switch that was designed for lanterns and mount it on my lighter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts