Cigar Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to add a box or two of shorts to my collection, but don't have a lot of familiarity with them. I went way back and dug through some old posts reviewing Monte and San Cristobal Petites, which was pretty helpful. Was just wondering what the present take is on those little guys. I'd like to stay away from the lighter/milder stuff, but am not necessarily looking for a jr. bomber, either.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I like the heavy petits also. Here is what I have, or have had lately. Boli Petits box code ARA Feb03, these are absolutely awsome. Best I can remember in a while. Very strong, but also complex for a petit, my current fav. Partagas petits CZA ABR03, nice construction good looking cigars, but more med bodied. They were nice in the morning with coffee. San Cris. ElPrincipe EAR FEb03, very nice spicy rich cigar, med-full. I haven't bought any Shorts in a while, but my experience with them, the cabinets are usually better. I've found with 2 or 3 years age they are awsome, tons of earth and spice. The only negative is if they don't have the age, they are horrible. It's such a strong blend( old Havana). Some of the stories I've seen on this board echo that, they just are not smokeable young. If you can't find with some age, I'd stick to the Boli's.Hope this helps.;)

·
Registered
239 Posts
I just got in a cab of shorts from NOV03 and while they are not complex, they are definitely strong and ready to smoke or age. I really don't think that shorts were ever made for complexity anyways.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I agree, not a complex smoke just tons of good old earth and spice. The ones I've had in the past that were under a 2 years were just too harsh. Seems like lots of cigars are smoking better than ever with less age. Makes sense if production is lower than in the past years, the tobacco gets to sit around a bit longer before it gets rolled.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I agree, I used to never smoke cubans under 2 yrs of age. However a friend of mine told me he loves to smoke some young so I tried a few here and there and agree that a few from a newer box are worth trying young. I still prefer the more aged cigars but it is a unique experience to try a few out of the box. heck I am even starting to look at late 03 stuff instead of 98 and earlier which i never would have a few years ago.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I do feel that Cab Shorts turn phenom at the three year mark and just keep on getting better and better after that. Imho, it is one of the best sticks to age.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback. The Monties & San Cristies are on their way. I'll probably smoke one of each, and bury the rest of 'em deep. Looking very forward to it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts