Cigar Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Heavy Puffer
7,169 Posts
I have a Savinelli Churchwarden. It's an alright pipe, the draw is a little tight though. I'd recommend buying one from a shop so you can see & feel it, test the draw, maybe run a pipe cleaner through it, just get a feel for the pipe.

Petersons are good pipes though, I have one & like it a lot. As long as you like the pipe, that's all that matters. :pipe:

· Pacific Northwesterner
282 Posts
Ive always wanted to test the draws of pipes at B&Ms but i thought it might be like frowned upon. iunno
I'd personally be hugely surprised if your B&M frowned upon a patron making a test draw on a new pipe (it should go without saying that you obviously shouldn't clench down on the stem/bit). Yet it never hurts to "as for permission" first. Worst that could happen is that they say "no."

:usa:

· he that puffeth
2,744 Posts
Does anyone smoke one? I'm really intrested in getting Chrcuhwarden, though it's the only one I can find where I live in England.

I've heard good things about Peterson though.
Personally, I dislike Peterson pipes - but many here love 'em. The two I have (not CWs) were really poorly made, I had to take a drill to 'em and fix the manufacturing defects (misaligned holes, too narrow). Both smoke great now. But ... there is an inherent design "feature" (that I call a flaw) with this brand, they leave a large air space between the airhole and tenon. This collects moisture, sounds good in theory, but it gunks the pipe up in a hearbeat, I have to scrub the drool chamber out after each smoke. Annoying.

· he that puffeth
2,744 Posts
I'd personally be hugely surprised if a B&M didn't frown upon a patron taking a test draw on a new pipe. Who wants to kiss all those guys you see hanging around in the B&M. Not to mention catching something.
+1 you can't kiss it till you marry it, or own it :eek:

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm looking for something to get a nice cool smoke from. I'm new to pipes, I've been smoking one on and off for about year, and I'm only weekend smoker. I smoke in the house or garden so the size of the pipe doesn't matter to me.

What is the quality of Peterson pipes generally?

Thanks.....

· Registered
215 Posts
My peterson was my first briar pipe. Its not a bad pipe. Its got some fills which arent a big deal for me. I paid around a 100 bucks for mine. To give you a general idea of the quality of the pipe you get for the money.

The peterson system is just as good as some of my 100 dollar hand made pipes. The only bad thing is the extra work you have to put into it to clean out the system, but its not that bad. I just twist up a piece of paper towel and jam that into the system thing.

My current favorite pipe maker is Mario Grandi. Excellent hand made pipes. a little on the larger size. Great price. I just cant complain about this carver. My 50 dollar mario grandi pipes are the same quality as my 100 dollar bjarne.

· Registered
1,608 Posts
I'm looking for something to get a nice cool smoke from. I'm new to pipes, I've been smoking one on and off for about year, and I'm only weekend smoker. I smoke in the house or garden so the size of the pipe doesn't matter to me.

What is the quality of Peterson pipes generally?

Thanks.....
If you buy a Pete, I'd advise buying a straight pipe. The drilling on their bents is not lined up well in my opinion. It's not like it's hard to properly drill a bent pipe for these guys. I've got a $35 Savinelli yard pipe that's the same bend, and it's perfectly drilled.

· Registered
276 Posts
I have a Peterson Aran that smokes like a charm... it's a bent billiard and my biggest complaint is getting a pipe cleaner around the bends in the stem not to mention the P-lip system that I dislike. Now your question is about the peterson churchwarden of which I am an owner. It's an occasional pipe for me an I only use it with tobacco that could beat the crap out of you in a tradional pipe (1792, XX Rope and brown #4) I tried the Black XX in standard pipes and found it to be like smoking used motor oil, however in a churchwarden the longer stem cools the smoke and allows the richness of the tobacco to really come through. It's the same with the 1792, while I can and have smoked it on a regular pipe the churchwarden really allows the tonquin flavour to shine. Now my only complaint about my pete churchwarden is the tenon is slightly loose, not enough to allow the bowl to fall off but enough to be a PITA since if the tobacco smokes wet it's nearly impossible to work a large pipecleaner through the long stem to dry out the bowl, so I usually just pull the stem off (gasp!) and use a regualr pipe cleaner to soak up any moisture.

BrSpiritus

· Heavy Puffer
7,169 Posts
.....I only use it with tobacco that could beat the crap out of you in a tradional pipe (1792, XX Rope and brown #4) I tried the Black XX in standard pipes and found it to be like smoking used motor oil, however in a churchwarden the longer stem cools the smoke and allows the richness of the tobacco to really come through. It's the same with the 1792, while I can and have smoked it on a regular pipe the churchwarden really allows the tonquin flavour to shine.....
Interesting idea. I may have to try that in my Sav. I have some Brown #4 that I've been SLOWLY working my way through. Perhaps a Churchwarden is the answer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.