Cigar Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Enjoying life...
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a slightly strange question, but it kind of follows up the thread about getting bad vibes in the cigar shop.

Any of you guys get strange looks while smoking stogies in public? Being a younger guy, I sometimes get wierd looks when I'm smoking in public. I've been in bars and people sometimes act like its an oddity. I guess because I look in my 20's and not like an older person, they don't expect me to be smoking gars. I don't really care for this stereotype.

Jeff

·
Banned
8,745 Posts
My favorite one liner for the babe sitting closest and giving that look is to look her straight in the eye, smile and ask, "Dont you love the smell of a good cigar". The range of reactions you get is amazing.

·
-
11,412 Posts
the public isn't around them often, so they must feel that because the smell is "different" that it must "stink".

i can agree that a lot of domestic cigars just smell bad. and then there's some cigars that smell like incense.

i feel cigarettes are just as bad, but i'm more tolerant...

·
Registered
803 Posts
It probably has less to do with your age and more to do with many people just finding cigar smoke offensive. I'm young as well (i'd like to think) and have had the same experience. Where you smoking white owls? :D

·
Banned
8,745 Posts
I think you hit it on the head.

Part 1 of 2: About Blunts
by: Mary Jane Girl

-- Revised by Bud S. Moker, Th.C.

When it comes to weed, I'm a very versatile woman. I do it all - bongs, joints, glass, fruit pipes - but when it comes down to it, my favorite way to smoke is in blunt form. I appreciate the flavor that the right cigar can add to the smoke, as well as the ability to get really high a lot faster. Blunts can sometimes turn not-so-good weed into a worthwhile smoke, and you'll greatly appreciate the reduction of paraphernalia with blunt smoking as compared to pipes and paper. (This makes blunt rolling optimal for long car rides.) The blunt smoker demographic has been displayed in the media as rappers who roll on black leaf cigars, but after this tutorial you'll find that you don't NEED to be a rich thug to enjoy this smoking experience.

Weed and Blunts
The type of weed you use will affect the way your blunt will roll. The best weed to use is dry bud that's been through a grinder. Make sure you don't grind it too fine, because rolling with shake leaves tons of little weed flecks in your mouth. Moist or leafy bud will make the blunt squishy, causing it to be harder to roll. If you plan to ride and smoke, pre-grind your weed. Generally, a blunt will use about twice the amount of weed as an "average sized" joint, so breaking it up by hand in a moving vehicle can take a while. Weed amount will vary according to how ****ed up you're looking to get.

Cigars
This is probably the most important aspect of blunt rolling. Everyone has rolled up some spectacular herb in a shitty blunt before and had to struggle through smoking it. The type of cigar can make or break a blunt smoking experience, so always choose wisely.

Swisher Sweets are strongly flavored and harsh on the throat. I know people who swear up and down by them, but I hate them. Only roll with these if you can handle strong tobacco or if you smoke cigarettes.

White Owls also have a strong flavor, but not as bad as Swishers. I prefer this one of the two, specifically the White Owl flavored blends. Mocho Mint is my favorite.

Optimos are an ideal blunt if you can find one that isn't dry as hell. Personally, about 9 out of every 10 Optimos I buy are dry when I get them. Since they have a leaf wrapper, dryness can render them useless due to the fact that the leaf will crumble right in your hands. All hope is not lost; wet a dry blunt very well, and after you dump out the guts (explained later) CAREFULLY wet the inside and then start flattening it out. Hopefully you can salvage the blunt. There are other green and brown leaf cigars out there (Garcia y Vega, Dutchmasters) that are a little better to work with. Other than that, Optimos live up to the advertisement of being very mild (if you're smoking some strong weed, you probably won't even taste the cigar), and they burn forever. Great for a long car ride.

Phillies are my favorites, especially Chocolate Phillies. They burn slow as hell and take a long time to dry out, so you can buy a double box and have it last all week. Their flavor is milder than a White Owl but not as mild as an Optimo. Perfect balance, in my opinion.

No matter what brand you choose, always look for two things: freshness and moisture. Avoid buying any cigars that have dust accumulated on them (most cigar boxes don't have "born on" dates, so most of the time you're left to guess). Also, squish the blunt a bit to make sure it's not dried out.

Now that you've got your weed ready and your blunt picked out, let's start rolling...

·
Registered
107 Posts
I hate it when the retailer insists on following me into the humidor and watches me the entire time. If I need help, I'll ask. Just because I'm young doesn't mean I'll steal something or that I'm clueless about cigars.

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
WACigar said:
I hate it when the retailer insists on following me into the humidor and watches me the entire time. If I need help, I'll ask. Just because I'm young doesn't mean I'll steal something or that I'm clueless about cigars.
Yah. Me too. Coming in once to ask if you need help is ok, but more than that & they send you a strong message that they suspect you of being a thief.
I told one gal at a smoke-shop once that I bought my cigars & didn't steal them. Her jaw dropped open. The next time I went back, the shop had sold & she was no longer there.

·
Enjoying life...
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gargamel said:
It probably has less to do with your age and more to do with many people just finding cigar smoke offensive. I'm young as well (i'd like to think) and have had the same experience. Where you smoking white owls? :D
Damn, I just ordered another box of White Owls too. :r

Just kidding. Think I have only ever smoked one of those.

·
Registered
904 Posts
WACigar said:
Don't get paranoid, I've left young behind a long time ago and store people still follow me in the humidor of new places. I think it's more sales related to see if they can help and possibly get you to buy something.

A few people here have actually owned shops mayby they could fill us in.

·
Test Subject
2,651 Posts
Jeff said:
This is a slightly strange question, but it kind of follows up the thread about getting bad vibes in the cigar shop.

Any of you guys get strange looks while smoking stogies in public? Being a younger guy, I sometimes get wierd looks when I'm smoking in public. I've been in bars and people sometimes act like its an oddity. I guess because I look in my 20's and not like an older person, they don't expect me to be smoking gars. I don't really care for this stereotype.

Jeff
Yes all the time ,,I try to sit away from people because I am somewhat sensitive to offening them but for someone to walk by or sit next to me knowing I'm smoking and make a comment they will get some flack back..

Jerry in Minnesota.

·
Enjoying life...
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The cigar smoking community could use a makeover. The "establishment" should hire a pr firm to give cigar smoking a whole new image. Make it glamorous and hip. I thought Arnold putting up a smoking area in the governors mansion would do wonders for cigars, but I don't think its catching on any more.

·
Registered
978 Posts
WACigar said:
I hate it when the retailer insists on following me into the humidor and watches me the entire time.
Yep, this sucks. But a new law in Oregon as of Jan 1, 05 is that they HAVE to accompany you. Something about minor's access to tobacco products. Now we both, me and the vendor, hate it.

Here i have found it depends on the vendor. Some are suspicious of everybody. Perhaps with due cause, perhaps not. I am sure they get ripped off by some. And as you know, the few muck it up for the many. Lots of regulations come about by this tenet. But some vendors are cool with you scanning the wares alone. They just can't do it any more.

_____
rm

·
Skeeter's Confidant
7,197 Posts
The local shop here is in a college town, so he has lots of young kids come and has a serious problem with theft. When I go in he knows I'm gonna be in the humidor awhile so he comes in from time to time with suggestions. If he's busy I probably won't see him till check out. :w

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.