Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Pickin a Winner!
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will go to my grave believing there is no difference in dress/cabs on this smoke. There.
Now on the difference between '02 dress box and a '04 cab?
Night and day, my friend. I know these can kick you square in the nuts, but yipes. I never saw it coming. This cigar hit me like a P8998V. EXACTLY like that. Coppertop has tasted some of the 898's I've got, you know how that smoke was blasting out the jams on puff 1? Well, welcome to the recent vintage Partagas Short. I have been beaten down by my first cuban cigar. I finished it, but just barely. On lighting, I was hit by a nose-stinging pepper blast with a cool edge, kind of like cayenne on a crawfish tail. Or like drawing regular room temp air over a crawfished lip, how it feels cool. As I smoked, the draw and burn were great and the flavor was always just one amp higher than I was really able to take with a smile, but I DID enjoy it make no mistake. But all of the sweet subtlety and leathery nuances of a 3 year old box-pressed short is a LONG way down the road. Either the vaunted "old-style" Partagas flavor is coming back hard or I have joined IHT on the bench of wussies. Still, I am glad I have 49 more of this vintage. I wonder if the Lusitania is getting re-vamped as well? Hope so. If you couldn't tell for all my good ol boy metaphors and double talk and reverse-psychology, I really liked this one.

·
Registered
978 Posts
One Lonely Smoker said:
..... Or like drawing regular room temp air over a crawfished lip, how it feels cool. ....
Huh? Now i will go to my grave wondering just what the heck that means!

nice review btw

_____
rm

·
Registered
681 Posts
Either the vaunted "old-style" Partagas flavor is coming back hard or I have joined IHT on the bench of wussies.

Nice Review, and you are Right....wussie!! :p

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I do know what you mean on those 898, man what a kick ass cigar. But I will say that I think there is a HUGE difference in dress box to Cabs. Maybe it has to do with how they age or me not being a huge fan of box pressed cigars. But I've done the comparison between dress/cab Party Shorts. And Cab wins everytime. But that just MY perception, not right or wrong. Glad you enjoyed it.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Thanks for the great review OLS.

I just got a cab from May '04. I was excited about it before, but I will now be cracking it open sooner than planned.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
One Lonely Smoker I love your screen name. That fits a cigar herfer 90% of the time to a T. And the picture (presumably Mad Magazine Jack Kamen vintage) screams old school New Orleans. Do you address everyone Mister? And do you swelter in the summer humidity down at City Park for a round of golf ever?

As far as the Partagas Short review, I guess I need to get me one of dem der Parta-gas.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Thanks for the info. I did a split here on some party shorts from Nov04 though, dress box, and they are terrific. Although I have never had a 898, I know what you are talking about, these Shorts are a kick-ass stick with some great complex flavors.

·
-
11,412 Posts
D. Generate said:
Nice review! I really need to pick some of these up. IHT sent me a couple of them a while back and they were amazing.
that guy's a real big prick, isn't he? he's a jerk, and he sends ppl cigars that force them to go broke.

he should be banned.
-----------
on topic - elisha, tecnorobo, and coppertop got my last 3 from an '01 cab... i need to find a new cab. :c

G

·
IHT said:
on topic - elisha, tecnorobo, and coppertop got my last 3 from an '01 cab... i need to find a new cab. :c
Wow, you guys better know how hard it is to get a cab with that much age on it! I haven't seen any more than a year or two.

·
X Canadian
1,306 Posts
Nice review although I gotta admit that I didn't understand half of what you said. I did manage to take away that you love the Party Shorts, I'm with you on that one for sure.

Crawfish lip and cold air and that other stuff....Boomhower is that you??

·
Pickin a Winner!
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
(909) said:
Nice review although I gotta admit that I didn't understand half of what you said. I did manage to take away that you love the Party Shorts, I'm with you on that one for sure.

Crawfish lip and cold air and that other stuff....Boomhower is that you??
I tell you what man, at dang ol crawfish man, taste like mud, look like a dang ol lobster on crack man, hot lips stinky fingers ats what I mean, dang ol...hot man.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I tell you what man, at dang ol crawfish man, taste like mud, look like a dang ol lobster on crack man, hot lips stinky fingers ats what I mean, dang ol...hot man.
I like this guy!!!

I can picture you with a paper towel stuffed in yo collar suckin tail with you right hand and a Dixie in yo left, surounded by the dead bodies of those that have fallen before and a Party Short stuck behind yo ear fo later. GOOD STUFF!!:dr

This guy knows how to live.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.