Cigar Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i'm new so bear with me. my bro brought three cigars back for me from england! Partagas serie D4, Hoyo epicure #2 and montecristo #2! I'll review all in the upcoming days.

Appearance: Light colored wrapper but with a good amount of sheen. Felt solid between the fingers, not too filled, not too under filled.

Construction: The cigar was built solidly with only one minor touch up needed with the torch. It burnt slowly, 52 minutes from start to finish.

Taste: typical Partagas, my other experience was a box of Lusi's. So in comparing the two I'd say the taste was stout. Straight forward, partagas flavor that never really changed. Just an incredible aroma. Best described as desert-like, like the cigar should be dripping syrup. Coco, caramel, nougat, peanuts. almost like a snikers bar. A little stronger than the Lusi. but a little less subtle.

Overall: 8.5/10 I love the partagas aroma but it was a little strong for me. I prefer the Lusi's which seem to be a little lighter and slightly more complex. when comparing the price of a box Serie D4 ($230) and Lusi ($300) i think for me at least, the lusi is a better value if you have the time to smoke em. and i can always make time!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Re: Serie D4

Nice review and welcome! Sounds like your Bro picked out some nice sticks for you. My Brother would probably get me a White Owl.

I slept in late this a.m. (stayed up late watching election) and when I finally walked out the door for work at about 1100, there was a nice package waiting for me :D The order included a box of PSD4's, PSF JUN 04. Hope to smoke one this weekend :w

Looking forward to your reviews of the Monte and Epi.

Goat Locker

·
X Canadian
1,306 Posts

I've got one sleeping comfortably at 67RH in the Samsonitador. Can't wait to burn it after reading your review (must resist temptation).

Goatlocker, don't you love it when you open the door and theres a box of smokes waiting to greet you? It's like getting a new bike at Christmas!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts

(909) said:
Goatlocker, don't you love it when you open the door and theres a box of smokes waiting to greet you? It's like getting a new bike at Christmas!
Yup, I immediately started salivating. Now I just have to create some Humidor space.

Goat Locker

·
Registered
33 Posts

thanks for the review!! I have about 10 cigars left from a box split, box code april 04, and they are the best partagas I have ever smoked!!! enjoy.

·
Duke of prunes
537 Posts

:SM ......... the couple of 04s I've had lately are definetely a spicy little fireplug of a cigar!!! Classic and potent Party flavor, that no doubt will age quite well also.
They might kick your butt, but I guarantee you'll be kickin' till the (not so) bitter end! :w

·
Registered
672 Posts

mr.c said:
If you look around you should be able to find the d4's for about $175 delivered, lusi's around $250. no :BS
Heard any more news about the aged (3 years) Partagas Serie D no4...?

Im going to check that thread out again...

Or th other reserva with some nice cubans with 5 years old tobacco....

·
Registered
1,978 Posts

The only thing I know is that the PSD4 reserva will be released at the 2005 Festival of Habanos, which is at the end of Feb. The aged 5 year tobbaco (Gran Reserva)wont be released untill late '05 or more like '06.

Or so they say......

·
Registered
672 Posts

mr.c said:
The only thing I know is that the PSD4 reserva will be released at the 2005 Festival of Habanos, which is at the end of Feb. The aged 5 year tobbaco (Gran Reserva)wont be released untill late '05 or more like '06.

Or so they say......
Thanks for the answer... OK, I think I just have to get the Partagas Serie D no 4 Reserva then... And the other one... Well, Im waiting from now on...

·
Registered
2,049 Posts

WOW...glad you enjoyed it. I think I am going to have to order some. The ones I have are ok, not super. They use to be, but they have really mellowed. I like that Partagas :bx , and these don't have it. They are still great cigars.....just miss the EMMPH.

·
Banned
6,267 Posts

Ok while sittin' in my psuedo-Cigar lounge today watchin' Kill Bill Vol 2 I realized that I've had a few of these PSD4's and haven't posted a review. Silly Me.

So I'm watchin' Uma Thurman slice apart Darryl Hanna and really diggin' on this PSD4. Damn IHT and his getting me started on great smokes :D Anyway this is the 3rd one I've had from the recent box split and I've really gotta say that these are definitely ON. The flavor is just outstanding!

Construction was nice on this smoke and it had a beautiful golden wrapper and I'm really liking the subtle style of the band, Nice. Pre-light aroma was nice and stout with that familiar sh*t smell that I've come to know and love. Clipped this guy and lit up. Damn the draw on this is perfect........ PERFECT! I'm a big fan of draws that are a little tighter than normal but not huffing the damn thing type. This was nice and smooth draws. First draw was filled with Creamy/Twangy flavor that made me remember why this is my 3rd in a short amount of time. I've taken to ignoring some of my other smokes just to spend a little more time with the Partagas D. The flavor stayed nice and full/rich throughout the first 2 inches. Nice tight ash that held on strong. In fact the longest ash I've gotten so far have both been PSD4's

Flavor changed with about an inch and a half to go to a strong peppery flavor. Damn that packs a punch. Flavor was tinglin' my tongue and I love that classic Partagas flavor that seemed to shine through near the end. Man this thing finished like a champ and kicked my ass. I smoked this bad boy till my fingers burned and Uma Thurman made Bill's Heart Explode. It was a great experience.

Recommend these to everybody. Makes me want to buy more boxes.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts

LasciviousXXX said:
So I'm watchin' Uma Thurman slice apart Darryl Hanna and really diggin' on this PSD4. Damn IHT and his getting me started on great smokes :D Anyway this is the 3rd one I've had from the recent box split and I've really gotta say that these are definitely ON. The flavor is just outstanding! Makes me want to buy more boxes.
Only your'e third one from the box split?! You have willpower. After the first one kicked my ass, I figured the proper response was just to get back on that horse. I finished my last of the five on Super Bowl Sunday. :(

Man, these are good smokes. I can't even compare them to anything else I have had, they are in a league of their own. You're review really summed it up for me. The angel and devil on my shoulders are currently duking it out over picking up a box of my own, but I fear the devil may be winning.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts

Yep... I´ve got six of these sticks laying in my humidor, only had these for 2 weeks but after reading this..... Well, one´s gonna burn tonight!!

Regards

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.