Cigar Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of publicity about this cigar, and much interest, so I thought I'd give a brief review of
sticks from a box from the Jose Marti factory, June 2002. This will just confirm the thread below, and perhaps stand as an interim report on how the cigar is ageing.

Without a doubt, this PSD3 ranks in the top three or four cigars I've had in the last two years (that's about 225). Impeccably constructed with a glistening maduro wrapper, it smells and tastes wonderful, though still in its youth. From the beginning one gets a wonderful complex flavor: dark chocolate, cinnamon, and honey. To me it tasted like Mexican hot chocolate--the thick kind spiced with cinnamon. The complexity stayed throughout the smoke, with a few floral notes developing toward the end. It lasted, at a UPR of 1/min, about 1 hr. and 15 minutes.

Draw was impeccable, ash a bit flaky at first but turning firmer and lighter gray as the smoke progressed. It was (surprisingly to me) a STRONG smoke. When I stood up to flush the butt, I was a bit dizzy, and it takes a powerful cigar to do that to me.

While wonderful now, I suspect that after a year or two this cigar will develop into a prized, world-class stick. Buy those boxes now!

·
Registered
756 Posts
in my typical fashion i could not wait any longer to try these again. i have a fairly fresh box, sitting for maybe 2 months. i decided to bring some out for me and 3 friends. of the 4 sticks 3 were so tight that they were what i would call unsmokable. headache to try. got PO'ed and tossed them. i tried 2 more throughout the weekend, and same thing. i felt around in the box and most of the rest of them felt very very 'solid' or tight. i did get one that burnt perfectly and of course was wonderful. i have smoked 'solid' sticks before that i thought would be hard to draw but ended up being fine. these were not the case.
any suggestions on what i might want to do with this box? report to where i bought them? it is a authorized dealer.
defintely ordering another box soon though, along with the rest of the EL's when they are available to me.
thanx
jimmy

·
still puffin
1,001 Posts
jimmy
of the 6 or so ive had 1 was tight(unable to draw)...so i just set it down and got another smoke.next day it smoked ok.i think it is just that they are young.

derrek:)

·
Bull Goose Gorilla
796 Posts
This is one cigar that just does not do it for me. I have tried a half dozen now gifted from different sources. I have found it to be a young very rough cigar with very litle complexity. Perhaps it will age well, but for now I fail to see what all the commotion is about. JMHO!

·
DymOnamic
966 Posts
sgoselin said:
Perhaps it will age well, but for now I fail to see what all the commotion is about. JMHO!
I was very impressed with this cigar, I agree with Dipteran, I probably smoked around 225 cigars this past year too, with this one being in my top 3!

Now I'm really getting pumped about those old ceegars you have! :D

I'm so new at this though that any criteria used by me is within the past 10 months of cigar smoking. Also 90% of the leaf I smoke is from sotisom (someplace other than).

Damn! Now I suppose there is a whole different level of cigar out there! Time to re-finance, double dip, extend the limit and sell the farm! It never really never ends. Madness!

Attachments

·
Registered
416 Posts
i myself am in agreement with steve on the psd3's
they just havent impressed me at all.
i do have a couple of boxes but they are sitting and resting ,
not even here but at others houses lol
hopefully they will come around someday

so far on the whole i have to give the whole entire LE line
a mediocre at best rating.

just my opinion, if you like them great !
thats why they make so many different kinds of cigars
cause we all have different tastes.

k

·
Registered
756 Posts
anyone else get any hints or flavors of black licorice? i had another tonight and noticed that sort of flavor. i don't like black licorice, so i think it turned me off about half way through. maybe my taste buds were having an off night...at least i hope so.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts