Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After some great advice (http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9378&page=2), I decided that I would have to light up a PSD4 (Courtesy of Coppertop -you the man :) ), to make a decision on my dilema of which will be my first ISOM Box.

IHT brought up some good points that I found I could only answer by comparrison. Based on his advice I decided tonight was the perfect night to rip into that PSD4 (I would hate to let it turn ;))

The construction on this bad boy was as close to perfect as my newb eyes have seen and it definately had the smell of what I knew would be a great smoke. The light was fairly effortless with a great draw right from the start,

Had to correct the burn a bit with the torch but that was expected since there was a slight wind tonight and a few thin clouds (lots of stars though).

The Diet Coke (i know but I didn't have any good booze on hand) seemed to bring out a slew of spices. As I hit the 1/3 mark pepper and some coffee flavors were kicking in. Through the first halh the ash held on and was very firm with little flaking.

The second half was were I really got hooked. The flavor was incredible and I realized that I was going to have a difficult decision between this fantastic powerhouse and the, IMHO, more refined and creamy taste of the Boli.

Thanks again Coppertop for the great sticks (and for the nudge toward the darkside :)

·
Skeeter's Confidant
7,197 Posts
Re: My 1st PSD4!!! WOW!

Navydoc said:
I'm not sure I would call a PSD4 a "nudge" more like a shove.....and it's all down hill from here.....enjoy the rest :w
I agree definately a shove,push kick in the arse over the slope and thru the woods to grandmothers house we go..

·
Registered
579 Posts

I've yet to have a good PSD4 and have all but given up on em
DrstDog, if you decide to get a box of PSD4s and want to try other ISOMs I'd love to trade with ya. (I've got some Montes, Trinidads, Bolivars, and a Sancho Panza or two).

DsrtDog said:
After some great advice (http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9378&page=2), I decided that I would have to light up a PSD4 (Courtesy of Coppertop -you the man :) ), to make a decision on my dilema of which will be my first ISOM Box.

IHT brought up some good points that I found I could only answer by comparrison. Based on his advice I decided tonight was the perfect night to rip into that PSD4 (I would hate to let it turn ;))

The construction on this bad boy was as close to perfect as my newb eyes have seen and it definately had the smell of what I knew would be a great smoke. The light was fairly effortless with a great draw right from the start,

Had to correct the burn a bit with the torch but that was expected since there was a slight wind tonight and a few thin clouds (lots of stars though).

The Diet Coke (i know but I didn't have any good booze on hand) seemed to bring out a slew of spices. As I hit the 1/3 mark pepper and some coffee flavors were kicking in. Through the first halh the ash held on and was very firm with little flaking.

The second half was were I really got hooked. The flavor was incredible and I realized that I was going to have a difficult decision between this fantastic powerhouse and the, IMHO, more refined and creamy taste of the Boli.

Thanks again Coppertop for the great sticks (and for the nudge toward the darkside :)

·
Registered
792 Posts

I´ve just finished my first psd4 on my lunch hour, accompanied by a beer and a coffee.
I´m sad to say it was not everything I was expecting, probably because I´m more veered to the milder, smoother cigars or probably the combo wasn´t too great, however the psd is most definately a cigar I´ll smoke again. Very spicy. Something I´d rather smoke after a powerhouse steak with a good serving of Tawny.

Nonetheless, it leaves a superb aftertaste of COMPLETE satisfaction. True, this is a highly recommended cigar ... after a good meal. :)

·
Pickin a Winner!
1,193 Posts

That's always been MY point. If you were to log in looking for a great first box, search through the archives of this and any site, you would soon see that the best first box would be a BBF, a PSD4 or a RASS. And you'd be semi-screwed. You'd have a top notch box of some of the finest cigars coming out of the island, but would you have a the best FIRST box? I don't think so. But for about 25% of the folks who go through this, it IS the best first box. It's just the other 75% that I worry about. For me, without question, the best first box would have been Boli PC's. RyJ Exhib #4's come to mind. But PSD4 is a bucking bronco, an untamed colt from the west. Not just powerful, but wildly unpredictable and dangerous. Any cigar that you have to worry about a reputation for diving into a sick period at any moment, just not good for me. I have a box, but it is buried. Right next to my RASS. Now the BBF, my 04's are a delight. Enjoy the ride, take a sled. And remember...it's "wheeeeeeee". not "AAaaaaaaaaa!"

·
Registered
1,146 Posts

One Lonely Smoker said:
That's always been MY point. If you were to log in looking for a great first box, search through the archives of this and any site, you would soon see that the best first box would be a BBF, a PSD4 or a RASS. And you'd be semi-screwed. You'd have a top notch box of some of the finest cigars coming out of the island, but would you have a the best FIRST box? I don't think so. But for about 25% of the folks who go through this, it IS the best first box. It's just the other 75% that I worry about. For me, without question, the best first box would have been Boli PC's. RyJ Exhib #4's come to mind. But PSD4 is a bucking bronco, an untamed colt from the west. Not just powerful, but wildly unpredictable and dangerous. Any cigar that you have to worry about a reputation for diving into a sick period at any moment, just not good for me. I have a box, but it is buried. Right next to my RASS. Now the BBF, my 04's are a delight. Enjoy the ride, take a sled. And remember...it's "wheeeeeeee". not "AAaaaaaaaaa!"
Funny enough I completely agree with you. Smoking a BRC changed my opinion on PSD4, after reading this and other reviews found that "untamed colt" is defenitely the adjective for this stogie and probably why some seem to be better than others. Still to smoke a RASS (this weekend) to find out if it fits into the same list.

·
Registered
792 Posts

My first box was monte nº5. for a peppery selection i suggest davidoff. Then gradually move up toward avo´s and partagas. That was probably the smoothest recommendation from my fellow BOTL´s. :)

·
Registered
2,049 Posts

Glad you liked it DsrtDog.....they are very good, now I just need another box

·
Registered
1,515 Posts

Smoked my first PSD4 last night (after my first RASCC - but that's another sort of WOW), and I assume mine must have been pretty 'on'. I can't imagine it getting much better. I was mostly preparing myself for the power I keep hearing about, but while it was definitely a strong smoke, what really hit me was the flavor(s) and the overall experience of this smoke. It was delicious, and it was almost like smoking three different cigars.

The start was really nice, strong and rich like a good espresso. I was very happy with the cigar, but I wouldn't have called it a religious experience... But the spicy, smooth flavors in the middle third were totally unexpected after the rich coffee in the first. Something about it kept making me think of chai. Then came the last third. For the first time i understand what everyone means about the "strong finish". It developed a really thick flavor for the last 20 minutes that kept slapping me in the face and saying: "pay Attention! I'm not through with you yet!" It was like a classic aesthetic movement from buildup, to a peaceful lulling into complacency, then followed at the end by the real point of the whole experience.

Now, I love me some NC cigars, there are some incredible experiences coming from other islands down there, but nothing else has so firmly demanded my full attention for such a period of time. Can you tell I liked?

·
Registered
2,049 Posts

RcktS4 said:
Smoked my first PSD4 last night (after my first RASCC - but that's another sort of WOW), and I assume mine must have been pretty 'on'. I can't imagine it getting much better. I was mostly preparing myself for the power I keep hearing about, but while it was definitely a strong smoke, what really hit me was the flavor(s) and the overall experience of this smoke. It was delicious, and it was almost like smoking three different cigars.

The start was really nice, strong and rich like a good espresso. I was very happy with the cigar, but I wouldn't have called it a religious experience... But the spicy, smooth flavors in the middle third were totally unexpected after the rich coffee in the first. Something about it kept making me think of chai. Then came the last third. For the first time i understand what everyone means about the "strong finish". It developed a really thick flavor for the last 20 minutes that kept slapping me in the face and saying: "pay Attention! I'm not through with you yet!" It was like a classic aesthetic movement from buildup, to a peaceful lulling into complacency, then followed at the end by the real point of the whole experience.

Now, I love me some NC cigars, there are some incredible experiences coming from other islands down there, but nothing else has so firmly demanded my full attention for such a period of time. Can you tell I liked?
:r MAO....nicely put Raney. I love them PSD4s. Your flavors were right on, but I wouldn't say that this is a powerful cigar. Not like a 8-9-8.....but people talk about it like that because of the strong spiceyness you get from the start. At least thats what I think.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts

Yeah, I guess it couldn't have been particularly powerful if it didn't make me want to :pu .

... tonight I'm planning on taking on a Parti Short and possibly a Boli CJ. I'm sure they'll put me back at the kiddie table.

"Hi. I'm Raney, and I'm a cuban cigar sallygirl"
"Hi Raney!"

·
Registered
2,049 Posts

Party Short and possibly a CJ, nice choices. Enjoy them sallygirl ;) :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.