Cigar Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was over at an uncle's house drinking beer and eating seafood, good stuff like lobster, octopus, shrimp and fried fish. I had the Piranha first since i had read so many good things about it. Nice dark wrapper with an awesome roasted coffe beans-like aroma. Construction looked excellent. Toasted the foot and began this stogie with a great fire. No harsh flavors whatsoever from the first puff (or the last). A little spice was present the first third of the stick with a nice robust, smooth taste. Second third I though I was drinking a dark cafe-con-leche (expresso and milk), very creamy. The last third of the stick the strength went up a litttle with clouds of smoke and some hints of earth and cocoa. The burn was superb, nice and even. I liked this stick so much that I think I'm going to buy a box.

After dinner, I fired up the Partagas Black. This cigar is not for the amateurs. I could smell the strength in this one. Very dark, chocolaty wrapper. Very good construction. The first puffs on this one were a little bitter, so I let it burn a little bit before I picked it up and Voila! Bitterness has been replaced by a very robust, tobacco flavor that I though it was going to get me in trouble. I picked up some cedar notes toward the second third of the stick as well as cocoa hints. The last third turned a little hot and harsh for me. I also ran into some burning problems that I kept on fixing w/ my lighter. Think that may be it needed a little rest in the humi. Will definetely have to smoke another one of this with some down time.

What surprises me the most is how I was able to pick up this flavors and notes. I usually can't make it out, due to the complexity of the flavor and my unexperience. But I was amazed with the Piranha. The most flavorful stick i have had 'till today. Now I got a find a well priced box. Gotta go now! :z

·
Skeeter's Confidant
7,197 Posts
Re: Partagas Black & Cao Brazil Piranha

Excellent review,I really like the Brazilia line,one of my favorites.

I like the Black and I have had burn problems with all I've smoked(5 or 6) but they sure are good..
:w

·
Registered
978 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts

I really like the Partagas Blacks too. I think they have a nice smooth pre lit taste also. I ran across some of the "Piramide" at one of our semi local shops with some pretty dark cello the other day and boy they are wonderful!!
The other thing I like about them is that they are priced under $5 in a lot of shops so even if you get a bad one it doesn't hurt the pocket book too bad.

·
Registered
904 Posts

Love the whole CAO Brazillia line especially the piranha and Ipanema, and the Samba.

If you like coffee JR's running a special on the Piranha for $79 that includes two pounds of gourmet coffee.

http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=cigars

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.