Cigar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Chimpus herfustus
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The much anticipated Palio cutter finally crawled through the mail. I have been trying out on some bundle cigars I have. Not bad but not great either. I thought maybe the cigars were dry or something, so last night I tried it again on a more premium cigar and it worked better but it still kinda pinched the cut in the middle. Both sides of the cut were nice but in the middle there was an uneven line of pinched off tobacco. Is this standard or did I get a dud Palio? I was under the impression it should slice like a razor. Any thoughts?

SB

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Could be your technique. First close the cutter until the blades make contact. Apply a slight pressure downwards on the head. Close the blades swiftly, not slowly.

I don't think any cutter will work well if you don't use this method.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This sounds like the exact same thing that can happen with a Xicar. I think it's due to the blade thickness. The blade follows the cut groove and causes the shift.
Still a nice cutter though.

Vic

·
Chimpus herfustus
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check out the big brain on Vikder! That makes perfect sense. The blades are sharp at the thinnest point but then get thicker, causing the cigar to move away from the blade. Hmmm. I noticed my cut to be not flat but somewhat angled from both sides of the cut to the center "ridge" of tobacco that was more pinched than cut. The cut at the outside of the cigar was much cleaner than in the middle. I think maybe a little more pressure against the cutter could resolve the problem. Time for some experimentation.
SB

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Thanks for the comments on cutting...I have had a similar problem for years and the downward pressure produced for me a perfect cut on a D3.

I also snatched up a Palio from Bargain Humidors just to have one more toy to play with!

·
Registered
756 Posts
they must have made a killing on the palio after the thread here. i just got mine last week too :D
jimmy

·
Registered
438 Posts
i got my palio well over a year ago and raved about it back then... i actually sold my xikar and got the palio instead... have stuck with it ever since...

it's a great cutter for sure.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have barely used my Xikar since getting a Palio. Good point about pushing the cigar against the blades. This was critical with my Xikar and still helps a little with the Palio. Let's not forget about the 'cradle' feature either! I thought it was just a gimmick, but I have used it many times for resting my cigar.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
SilvrBck- if you're having trouble with your palio but didn't have trouble with other cutters then you should return it for another one as others have said. it's just a good double blade cutter... there's no need to master any special technique.

what did you guys do with the smoking woman (i believe they call her the chick) that came with the palio?

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Re: Re: Palio follow-up

robmcd said:
what did you guys do with the smoking woman (i believe they call her the chick) that came with the palio?
I gave her my White Owl to smoke. :w

·
Registered
258 Posts
Well after reading what you guys have said about the Palio cutter i have gone and ordered one just now. I have a couple Xikar's and considering the $ i paid for them you would think they wouldn't fall apart so often. If i don't check the screws at the joint or the tightness of the "lock knob" regularly they fall off :sb . Thanks guys;) :D , what would i do without you!:)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Lord Hammer said:
what would i do without you!
Well, for starters, you'd probably have a lot more pocket money. I've lost track of how much spending I've done to get more "gorilla gear".

·
Chimpus herfustus
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
robmcd-
I'm just going to return it. If the second one behaves the same as the first then I'll know it's me, if not, I get rid of my dud cutter. I mean, how hard can it be to use a double-blade cutter, really?
sb

·
Registered
410 Posts
What Jkeats said. I started with a Xikar II but was not happy with it (I understand that the II is the crappy one, the other models are better) so I saw a great deal on the Palio at Bargain Humidors a year ago (thanks Mike!) and jumped on it. I've been VERY happy with the Palio. It's all I use now.

·
Chimpus herfustus
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, it turns out that I am a moron. Upon pressing the cigar up against the blades firmly I got a cut so precise it seemed as if it was made with a t-square. I swear. If I was the neanderthal that first made a wheel I would've pushed it over sideways and said it didn't work. Thanks for the heads up on the cutting technique Brandon.
SB

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
My pleasure! I'm glad you didn't have to return the cutter.

BTW, I think a bag full of Havanas will be more than enough of a thank you gift:w

·
Chimpus herfustus
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ummmm...

B-

Sounds reasonable, yeah?....no! I think I've got a JR Ultimate laying around my desk somewhere I will send you. I'll even cut it for you. :D

SB

·
Registered
258 Posts
Well guys, just got my Palio today and all i can say is WOW! It's an effortless cut that is incredibly clean. It blows away my Xikars...this forum once again has proven invaluble:D :w :) .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts