Cigar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola Aficionados!
I smoked my first non Cuban last week, it was given to me by a good friend from Churchill Cigar in Cayman. Padron 5000 Maduro with a ring size of 56 ( I though it was 52, I guess bec. it was box pressed) good length of
5-1/2" Good solid construction, though a lot spongier compare to Cubans.
Smell is not like Cubans of course, it is very earthy kind of smell, not too much aroma cuban like smell.
So I'm like 'let me try and discover what is padron all about'
it cut beautifully, lighted it and start to burn good. It din't smell like a promising sigar right away but after like 5 mins. smoking it, I start raising my eye brows. I'm like 'WOW! this is good' Then I started enjoying the earthy kind of leathery sweet taste almost halfway. Then it start giving a hint or I guess for a while a Monte no.2 in with a Nicaraguan earthy tone.
And most of all, this cigar burnt beautifully I didn't do anything at all, just enjoy amoking it. I was surprised that it actually burnt better to a lot of Cubans I've been smoking before.
It's a good non Cuban cigar for me, I grabed a box of this and will aged for at least another 3 months and start exploring the non cuban cigars...
Just wondering, what else non cubans you guys will recomend? SALUD!

·
Shags homely sheep
5,357 Posts
Re: Padron 5000

Nice review. As someone that smokes cubans, I would be curios to hear about your exploraton on non-cuban cigars. For suggestions as to what to try, I would go to this thread http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=8965 and read about what cigars that almost everybody likes. Also, since most of the reviews on this board are of non-cuban cigars, why not go to the review section and see who has reviewed the Padrons and mentioned the same qualities that you found in there. You can then go to one of the drop down menus and pull up all of his/her reviews. Nice pictures too!

·
Skeeter's Confidant
7,500 Posts

Excellent review and pics.For me right now its been ERDM robusto and Sancho Panza extra fuerte Pamplona and I really like the Padron 3000"s.. Gran Hanbanos #5 I hear great things about, picking up a box of these at the VA herf from uncle Mikey next month..

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Da Klugs said:
Your reviews are great thanks. I can't believe no one had reviewed these before. Nice fatties. You and Coppertop should do some domestic splits. :D
Amigo I would love too! but what can I do, i'm in cayman Islands.
A lot of time that I envy you guys for being so close to each other (locations and well I guess to each other too) every time I heard about herfings, box splits and all the activities up there.
I guess I'll just try to enjoy the cayman average 85F temp. Sunshine, clear water, easy slow moving life style, Tax Free and lots of Cuban Cigars :D ;) :cool: Da Klugs, It'll be a pleasure smoking with you. Salud!

·
Registered
582 Posts

Great review. It's funny: I smoked a Padron 6000 last night that started reminding me of a Monte number 2 once it passed the halfway point.
In some ways, I enjoyed it more than the 1964 -- a bit more complex. if they used a better looking band I think more people would buy cigars in the regular Padron line.

pinoyman said:
Hola Aficionados!
I smoked my first non Cuban last week, it was given to me by a good friend from Churchill Cigar in Cayman. Padron 5000 Maduro with a ring size of 56 ( I though it was 52, I guess bec. it was box pressed) good length of
5-1/2" Good solid construction, though a lot spongier compare to Cubans.
Smell is not like Cubans of course, it is very earthy kind of smell, not too much aroma cuban like smell.
So I'm like 'let me try and discover what is padron all about'
it cut beautifully, lighted it and start to burn good. It din't smell like a promising sigar right away but after like 5 mins. smoking it, I start raising my eye brows. I'm like 'WOW! this is good' Then I started enjoying the earthy kind of leathery sweet taste almost halfway. Then it start giving a hint or I guess for a while a Monte no.2 in with a Nicaraguan earthy tone.
And most of all, this cigar burnt beautifully I didn't do anything at all, just enjoy amoking it. I was surprised that it actually burnt better to a lot of Cubans I've been smoking before.
It's a good non Cuban cigar for me, I grabed a box of this and will aged for at least another 3 months and start exploring the non cuban cigars...
Just wondering, what else non cubans you guys will recomend? SALUD!

·
Registered
66 Posts

I've been smoking padrons a long time and they are very consistent and affordable. I have a box of 3000 maduro from 99 and 2000 and they have aged wonderfully. I would recommend camacho corojo figurados. They are big smokes seemingly modelled after cubans.

·
Registered
33 Posts

pinoyman said:
Wow, usually I'm used to hearing it the other way around! It's nice to see somebody who smoked Cubans appreciating the world of non-Cubans. While being different, each country has it's own uniqueness. Personally, I like the Padron K Maduro series. If there is a non-Cuban you want to try though, I highly recommend the Camacho Diploma. It is by far my favorite non-Cuban cigar.

Eddie

·
Registered
66 Posts

InfrnalSky said:
Wow, usually I'm used to hearing it the other way around! It's nice to see somebody who smoked Cubans appreciating the world of non-Cubans. While being different, each country has it's own uniqueness. Personally, I like the Padron K Maduro series. If there is a non-Cuban you want to try though, I highly recommend the Camacho Diploma. It is by far my favorite non-Cuban cigar.

Eddie
I also like the diploma all the versions (wrapper colors) but tend to think the 2002 11/18 is damn good too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.