Cigar Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you already know, the 40th Anniversary Padron is a Torpedo banded as a serie 1926 with a secondary band denoting the 40th anniversary of the company's inception. They are sold out of a commemorative handpainted humidor at the tune of around $25 (that's the MSRP). Like the rest of the 1926 line, these are beautifully rolled, super firm, box pressed smokes filled with Nicauraguan tobaccos aged 5 years or more. Apparently there are some natural wrapper versions of the 40th Anniversary out there somewhere, but I've only been able to get my hands on the Maduro.

Before we get into the smoking experience, the price of these smokes has inspired alot of indignant chatter and needs to be addressed. $25 sounds at first like a ridiculous price to pay for one cigar. But it needs to be remembered that, given the price range of the rest of the 1926 line, $25 is about right given that we are talking about a torpedo. The double corona 1926 goes for around $22 here in Virginia, and the belicoso goes for around $16-$18. So $25 for a torpedo is, in this context, a fair price. Plus you get the maroon "40th anniversary" sub-band!!!

Given the hype, one would expect alot from this cigar. The 1926 line is already hailed by many a Padron whore as the finest domestic cigar available, and perhaps even the finest cigar currently in production anywhere. But is this particular cigar that much better than the pre-existing 1926 line of cigars? Cigar Aficionado seemingly thinks so, having dubbed the 40th Anniversary the #1 cigar in the world in their February issue. But if we took CA's word as gospel, we probably wouldn't have much to talk about, now, would we?
( And we'd all be running out and buying Dominican Trinidads. YUCK!)

I smoked the 40th anniversary with my usual double dram of Gran Marnier. Like all of the 1926s I've smoked, the cigar started on the harsh side and I needed to put it down for a few minutes to let it mellow. What followed was typical of 1926s in my experience: heavy, full-bodied, semi-sweet chocolate- imbued smoke. It was strong, but mature and refined - just as one would expect from a well-aged smoke and certainly what many of us have come to expect from Padron. By the midpoint, it was as perfect a Padron as I've ever smoked: great taste, great draw, great burn -- a testament to the artform.

But was it any better than the other 1926s? -- That was the big question on my mind. And throughout this smoke I was haunted by the need to find something extraordinary about this cigar. I wanted a cigar that transcended the pre-existing 1926 line; I sought enlightenment.

By the end, I was certain I had smoked one of the finest cigars in the world, but I was hard pressed to find anything about it that exceeded the already great 1926 line. I was inclined to say I had smoked a cigar like a 1926 #1 with a little more refinement, but couldn't say whether I really had or merely that I wanted to believe I had.

But that brought me back to what I mentioned earlier: There is nothing about the price of this cigar that suggests it should be any better than the rest of the 1926 line. Neither is the aging process peculiar to this particular vitola. In truth, the only things that suggested transcendance was afoot were the the sub-band, the handpainted humidor in which it was originally housed (and which I didn't muster the $1600 to purchase ) and the fanfare with which the cigar was released. As most seasoned smokers have learned, rarely do these accoutrements impart much of anything to the smoking experience.

Given these revelations, Some might be quick to say "you've been had!", But I prefer to set aside my inclinations towards cynicism and look at the bigger picture: I love the 1926 line, I love torpedos, and I think the world of the Padron family. I'm glad I've been able to take part in the commemoration of 40 years of some of the finest cigars on the planet. If you join in the celebration with this perspective, I sincerely doubt you'll be dissapointed.

Happy Birthday, Padron.

·
Duke of prunes
537 Posts
Very nice review mango! Sounds like a great cigar befitting any "special occasion". I will have to pick one up for such a celebration!!!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Great review. I am a huge padron fan, and at the 30 dollars I would spend at my local cigar shop, I havent let myself try one yet. That is just another push in that direction.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for reading, folks.

I think it's easy to say "no smoke is worth $25 bucks" -- especially if you aren't wont to let your cigar budget rival your food budget every month like me. But if you are already inclined towards paying the premium price that an OpusX, Fuente Anejo or any of the other vitolas in the 1926 line command, then yes, this smoke is worth $25. My point is, that the goal I had in mind when writing this review was to put this "uber-smoke" in its proper perspective -- and I hope I succeeded at that.

In other news, my wife read my review of the 40th Anniversary last night and tonight presented me with two of these sticks for Valentines day. :w :cool:

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
We will likely be doing a staff review on these in the near future. Wait until that auction goes up!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any chance you guys will be getting samples of the Natural wrapper version? I'd love to trade a maddie for a nattie.

pds said:
We will likely be doing a staff review on these in the near future. Wait until that auction goes up!

·
Skeeter's Confidant
7,197 Posts
In other news, my wife read my review of the 40th Anniversary last night and tonight presented me with two of these sticks for Valentines day. :w :cool:[/QUOTE]

Is your wife comming to the VA Herf? If so could she maybe mention this to my wife??

Great review,by the way...

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She might show up later in the day/evening. She's got alot of stores to hit while I herf, but she might be able to fit in a Padron 40th Anniversary pitch for Mrs. Floyd P.. I'll warn her ahead of time. :D

By the way, there's a new batch coming in to my local guy if you want to try one

floydp said:
In other news, my wife read my review of the 40th Anniversary last night and tonight presented me with two of these sticks for Valentines day. :w :cool:
Is your wife comming to the VA Herf? If so could she maybe mention this to my wife??

Great review,by the way...[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have two of the 40th anni maduros coming my way... I can't wait to try them!
On another note... dollar for dollar I reach for the PAM 64's over the 26's most of the time... I think the PAM 64's are a better bang for the buck...
g

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.