Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just smoked my first Padron this evening. Heard a lot about the brand and wanted to try one of these bad boys, and was gifted one by a friend.

My reviews are brief and to the point so here it is, if the format is not to your liking please tell me and I'll change it for next time.

All scores are out of 10

Padron 3000

Construction: 7
Draw: 9
Burn: 9
Flavour: 5

As this was my first Padron, maybe this was just a bad stick but it was just a flavourless earthy taste that lingered throughout the entire cigar. I thought it would get better as it burned, but unfortunately did not. The closest thing to describe this stick was like drinking a coke that has been left open for 5 hours. I'm definately not a ISOM snob, but everything I have smoked outside of Fidel's playground just does not seem as robust and well rounded. I am going to try and Ahston VSG Beli #1 later this week and have a Torano 1916 Rob next week to smoke.

Hopefully these cigars will move me a little more than this one did, becuase I still have not found a cigar that measures up to a fine Cuban.

cheers

poukali

G

·
Try a Padron '64 Anniversary in Maduro. Might change your opinion.

Have you tried Onyx Reserve?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I have not tried the ONYX reserve 4 aces, obtaining a Padron 64, 25, or millenium is pretty difficult up here in the hinterland considering that ISOM's are so readily availble.

Unfortunately my non-ISOM knowledge is rather limited, was this P3000 just a dud or is this standard fair for this smoke? All suggestions are very welcome.

cheers

poukali

G

·
poukali,

The Padron x,000 series are okay for an under USD $5 cigar. You might have had a dud. They, however, are not really comparable to ISOMs. However, I think the Anniversary series are. I am partial to the '64, as opposed to the '26.

Cheers,

4A

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
dont be disappointed you may have gotten a dud!! Give em another try in near future, make sure it has had time to acclimate, and rest in a humi for a few days first! MAYBE it will taste better next try!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well I'm glad to see I'm not the only one (but still a minority) that finds Padron 2000, 3000, 4000, & 5000......not to my liking either & yes I've tried em all in natural & maduro wrappers, they just have in my opinion a too loose & airy draw which I dislike & very little taste & body....I know this sounds nutso because so many love 'em but I calls it likes I seez it.....now that being said the "64's" are a totally different story! A GREAT cigar .......

·
Bacon Lover
808 Posts
I used to LOVE the thousand series Padrons when I first started smoking back in the mid 90's, but I had a 4000 last night and had to put it out half way. Its not that it was bad per say, it just tasted a little weak to me. Im pretty sure its b/c Ive been smoking extremely full bodied smokes recently. The padrons don't seem to have the same kick to me as they used to.

·
Registered
368 Posts
cybergar said:
the "64's" are a totally different story! A GREAT cigar .......
I totally agree. Even though I'm extremely partial to isom's, the Anniversary series is very tasty. I had two yesterday, and they were pretty darned good. I have yet to try the maduro, but have heard that they are even better. Maybe next time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
More proof that our hobby is highly subjective! There's definetly a smoke that's right and wrong for all of us. The Padron 3000 Maduro is one of my "go to" cigars. Never had a dud and I find them very consistent in all aspects. Flavor, construction, burn, draw. If this was your first, I reccomend giving them another chance.

·
DymOnamic
966 Posts
Ordering a box of Padron Magnum Maduros and a box of PAM Exclusivos today. $400 for 50 cigars! But I love 'em both. The Magnum Maduro is a great cigar that overcomes that loose and airy draw that cybergar speaks of, plus it is soooooooo close to the '64 PAM profile, sometimes even better! 9/52 size is a bit intimidating, but it lights up real well after an intermission!

I'm just as content smoking a Brazilia Samba as a PAM though.
Domestically speaking. The Pam's are just a fantastic cigar I decided to treat myself to for all the crazy insane hard work I've done the past 3 months.

Great review poukali! A lot of feedback on this one. Good job. I like your format and I'm looking forward to more. rns
:w

·
Shags homely sheep
5,059 Posts
Why not stop over to the reviews section and see what other people have had to say about the Padron 3000. I wouldn't agree with you it was flavorless, but it was kind of one dimensional IMO, but the buzz factor on an empty stomach was shaky time. Your format agrees with the reviews format except for a mention of the value of the cigar. You will have to register to post reviews but it is painless:) I think the reviews section is one of the great resources of the board.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Re: Padron 3000

poukali said:
I'm definately not a ISOM snob, but everything I have smoked outside of Fidel's playground just does not seem as robust and well rounded. I am going to try and Ahston VSG Beli #1 later this week and have a Torano 1916 Rob next week to smoke.

Hopefully these cigars will move me a little more than this one did, becuase I still have not found a cigar that measures up to a fine Cuban.
I've found plenty. Here's my short list:

1) Arturo Fuente Work of Art Maduro
2) Arturo Fuente Opus X (any)
3) Padrón 1964 Anniversary (maduro or natural, any size)
4) Padrón 1926 Serie (maduro or natural, any size)
5) Ashton VSG Enchantment
6) Arturo Fuente Añejo Shark No. 77 (or any Añejo, really)
7) Padrón Millennium (maduro)
8) Perdomo Edicion de Silvio (any)
9) Greycliff (Pirate or P.G)
10) Arturo Fuente Untold Story Maduro

There's 10 off of the top of my head.

Yes, these are premium domestics -- but if you haven't tried these smokes, you haven't tried some of the best cigars in the world, IMHO.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry gents, up in the hinterland I payed $18.00CDN or $13.62 USD. :sb taxes!!!

In a nutshell the PD3000 was extremely bitter and earthy and lacked a certain strength, and refinement I look for in a cigar. I am by no stretch of the imagination a expert either. But as stated many times taste is subjective.

Where can i get my hands on some PD64 maduro's at a reasonable price. I saw one a the local cigar store for $60.00CDN per stick!! $45.00USD. The box was 1499CDN or 1134 USD.

INSANE!!!! I need a better source for this cigar if I'm going to try and like them.

Can you beleive the prices up here. It can be a very expensive hobby.

:c

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Moki,

I agree, if I could find a good on-line source with the LLG seal of approval it would be greatly appreciated by my wallet!!

I just cannot justify the price they are charging in Toronto.

poukali

·
Registered
1,375 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
I Like just about any Padron. Last week I tried my first 1964, a maduro principe...yum! Next day I purchased a maduro exclusivo...OMG!!! I have since smoked 4 more of them. Best cigar I have smoked in my (very short) smoking career. Bad thing is that now everything else tastes second rate. I'm definately going to have to get me a box or three! :D

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
one90proof said:
I Like just about any Padron. Last week I tried my first 1964, a maduro principe...yum! Next day I purchased a maduro exclusivo...OMG!!! I have since smoked 4 more of them. Best cigar I have smoked in my (very short) smoking career. Bad thing is that now everything else tastes second rate. I'm definately going to have to get me a box or three! :D
Yep, that definitely is a danger. You smoke one of the Padrón Anniversary's, and then resign yourself to the fact that your standards -- and your budget -- just went up. ;)

Just wait until you try a 1926 Maduro... ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.