Cigar Forums banner

packing a Prince shape bowl

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  laloin 
#1 ·
ok need some help guys, I have this beautiful Peterson sliver sterling estate prince bowl, and I need some help packing it.
I've tried my normal 3 step packing method and it just cloggs the draft hole, gravity fill makes it burn to hot, and flakes really don't work well in a prince shape bowl help.....
troy

#2 ·
Have you tried rubbing it into a ball shape bigger than the bowl diameter and twisting it into the bowl, then use the roll your figures around the top of the bowl but not so much to push it down to the bottom of the bowl.

I hope this makes seance and will try to find the video I saw on this for you, unless someone has it that can post it ?

#4 ·
One of my Briars has a conical shaped bowl and is prone to getting plugged if I pack too hard.. The three step still works, you just have to be very light fingered on your first 2 packs. Go something like half baby, baby, then adult.

#5 ·
One trick to keeping the draft hole clear is to insert a pipe cleaner before you pack. You can't test the draw while you're packing, but you'll create a nice little pocket around the draft hole. In lieu of that, don't pack that first layer very hard.

#6 ·
The pipe cleaner trick is certainly a good idea (some draft holes are prone to plugging). As for the packing, some variation on the Frank Method seems in order. Between the gravity fill and the competition 3-stage, the Frank method provides a manageable way to pack a pipe. Do your standard gravity fill to the top of the bowl and continue on until you have 1/4 to 1/2" mound of tobacco over the bowl. Push this down with your thumb without going into the bowl. Don't do ANY packing on the way to creating your mound at the top. After you push it down even with the rim, light thoroughly then use the tamper to push it down flat and relight. Use the tamper to establish a draw that is only slightly harder than the gravity fill, which may require a push of maybe 1/5 of the bowl down. Return to the tamper as you smoke to maintain a good level of draw, but be very careful not to get it packed too tight as you smoke -- tobacco moistens as you smoke and heavy tamping will clump it and destroy the airflow.

#7 ·
I smoke a lot of Princes as the Savinelli #313 is my favorite pipe shape. For mixtures (I don't smoke flakes in Princes unless fully rubbed out) I gravity fill to the top of the bowl and then lightly press the tobacco down about 1/3 of the way, then fill to overfull and press down with my thumb (don't go sticking your digits in the bowl itself) until it's even with the top of the bowl, then sprinkle a bit of fine tobacco on top to help get it lit. Usually works just fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.