Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just thought I'd let everyone know that I will finally be smoking an Opus X Robusto this weekend. I'm very excited as I have been trying to get my hands on one for some time. Much thanks to my local tobaconnist for hooking me up.

I've read the reviews for the Opus X series on Top25 but I was wondering if anybody here would like to share their experience smoking one. Heck, or recommend some more that you think I should try.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Sounds marvellous! Havent try one yet. But I hope I will soon. Very pricey sticks.

If you havent tried the CAO, you should, you wont be sorry/disappointed. Mild=CAO Gold , Strong= CAO Brazilia - and the others somewhere in between.

Good luck! Hope the Opus X tastes good! :)

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I've been looking forward to it for awhile El Rey. I've tried the CAO Italia and enjoyed it, I've also had the CAO Criollo and was mildly impressed. I have yet to try the MX2 or the Black but they have such varied ratings. It seems people either hate them or love them. Oh well, just have to try them myself

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Hopefully you have a good one! Lately Opus have been hit and miss for me. Mostly burn problems rather than flavor issues though. I definitely would not smoke this before breakfast unless you are used to full bodied cigars. Enjoy!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Opus are best enjoyed on a full stomach when you have plenty of time to set down and smoke them slowly. If you feel the draw start to tighten, purge it often. I would set it out for a day and let it dry a bit. I love Opus if they smoke right.

·
Registered
394 Posts
LasciviousXXX said:
Thanks, I've been looking forward to it for awhile El Rey. I've tried the CAO Italia and enjoyed it, I've also had the CAO Criollo and was mildly impressed. I have yet to try the MX2 or the Black but they have such varied ratings. It seems people either hate them or love them. Oh well, just have to try them myself
Being a huge fan of CAO Brazilia and more recently, Italia...I was quite disappointed in the MX2. It's worth a try...but I'd go with a stick or 2 instead of making a heavy investment in them.

Enjoy your Opus X Robusto!

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice CigarHoss. Yeah there are so many different opinions about the MX2 that I'm quite interested just for the experience. Have you tried the CAO Black? I've been interested in those as well.

One more day until the Opus X. Damn, I can't wait

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ahhhhhhh ............... I finally picked up my Opus X today. Damn is it good looking. Now its off to the humidor for a day and then finally this weekend I will have the pleasure of smoking this fine looking cigar. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
I'll wish you luck with the MX2 as well, because unfortunately I haven't had one that I enjoyed. I love the double maduro idea, it worked great in the Punch line!

·
Registered
921 Posts
LasvsXXX -
I am not sure if you know this or not, but a lot of the people who are really into Opus X let them age prior to smoking. Many people atleast 6 months to a year...some people longer. After 1 year (which is what I try to wait) it is a totally different cigar altogether. The flavor totally balances out and they become as smooth as butter. If you can, bury some in the bottom of your humidor and wait. You will not believe the transformation.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Bruce5 said:
LasvsXXX -
I am not sure if you know this or not, but a lot of the people who are really into Opus X let them age prior to smoking. Many people atleast 6 months to a year...some people longer. After 1 year (which is what I try to wait) it is a totally different cigar altogether. The flavor totally balances out and they become as smooth as butter. If you can, bury some in the bottom of your humidor and wait. You will not believe the transformation.
i agree with bruce that it does smooth them out quite a bit. but on the other hand i really can get into the unbelievable strength and power of a really fresh opus. i think i might prefer them fresh. the age definitely kills something about them in my opinion.
jimmy

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the tip both bruce and jimmy. I did not know that at all. I think what I'm going to do seeing as how I only have one Opus X is smoke it this weekend and then get a fiver off of bruce and let those sit in the humi for awhile. That way I get the best of both worlds. Oh and Bruce I'll probably be calling you later on this weekend. Thanks for the advice as well as being such a people person.

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, smoked the Opus X this weekend and was literally blown away. It was amazing. The flavor was powerful and impressive but not harsh at all. No offense Wouldestous but I was really impressed with the quality of the smoke. True, it might be a bit on the expensive side, but I was thoroughly impressed none the less. Having never had an ISOM this is the nicest cigar I've had so far. It was definitely a full bodied smoke and I'm glad I had a big meal before smoking it. Ahhhhhh............... the great feeling of a new experience

·
Registered
449 Posts
Bought a X yesterday, my shop finally got a box or two in. Anybody else have a problem getting more than 1 or 2 sinlge sticks form their local shop. The one here is saying that due to some signed contract he can only sell a limit of 2 per person. Price here was 9.00 per stick.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.