Cigar Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
DymOnamic
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opus X #5; Hey I have a question for anyone experienced with this stick. I smoked my 1st Opus X last week. The darn thing would not stay lit for more than about 3-5 draws! This is spose to be a super high-end smoke, right? Anyway, I kept lighting it till the last "inch and a half" and finally said, forget it. Then the real bad stuff started. I used to chew 20 years ago, well, all of a sudden I got a rumbling in my gut and a chill across my brow! Sure enough, nicotine poisoning! I hate to say it, but that fancy cigar made me sick! I've smoked a few powerhouses, but this was just cruel! Heres a few questions,

Have you had the same "wet" problem with this stick? multiple re-lights and such?

Is that what all Opus X cigars do, this was not power, it was nicotine poisoning? The past 3 weeks I've had 1 cigar a day, all considered full-bodied, so what the heck was up with that Opus? A bad one perhaps?

Do they suck and I just found out?

Am I a wussy?

It just kinda freaks me out, I've never had that reaction to a hand rolled premium cigar, even early in the morning, always felt mighty-fine.

Thanks if you have had any experiences like the above let me know.
:pu :confused: :pu

·
Registered
756 Posts
i have definitely heard a fair share of stories about them not staying lit for as long as a good cuban, but not as bad as your story is. i thouroughly enjoy them.
hope you give them another shot, then can be really good in my opinion.
jimmy

·
Registered
271 Posts
Of course i'd never pay 40 bucks for an opus, but i did get one like 18-20 bucks once, i smoked it and i wasn't impressed, in fact quite let down. I had a small amont of burning problems (nothign as bad as RnS) The flavor I found to be alright, but nothing as complex as i assumed. I did find that it had alot of nicotine in it, and as a second cigar of the night (behind a Cohiba robusto isom) i was pretty set and had lots of nicotine, good amont of trouble standing up, but I would try another one again, but honestly for the price, i'd rather buy 2 PAM's.

Ryan
My .02 cents.

·
F.O.G. with nice smokes
1,605 Posts
had a perfection #2 that would not stay lit.........I know it was kept in proper conditions for a long time. The cigar just sucked.

Partial quote from another source. From a Q&A sectoin of another cigar maker.

<<< I can tell you that many Fuente cigars lines are worth their money but
others like OPUS X not. The OPUS X was a great marketing idea that resulted
into an overpriced DUD. That cigar is not worth more than $3.00 wholesale
by the stick to me. I know: I am a Cigar Maker. The filler tobaccos are
poorly blended, the cigar is generally strong in taste which means too much
lijero or too much green tobacco, the aroma is like fresh tobacco which
lends me to believe that the problem is aging not blending, that is
corroborated with the nicotine buzz you get, too easy draw which means needs
more filler, and every single one of the ones I have tasted (10 of them) had
poor burning qualities that means poor bunching. If I where Fuente I fire
the buncher, the roller and the blender all of them needs to go back to
school or maybe they need to buy my advanced tape and learn something from
me (another arrogant Cigar Maker:)) In contrast the Fuente Hemingways style
to include Short Story are very nice cigars. Montesinos are nice, Cuesta
Rey are nice, and many others. >>>

OPT

·
Registered
410 Posts
The first Opus I smoked was a #5 and It was naptime afterwards. Yep same type of effect.

To the burn,
I have seen many different burns but most of the time they stay lit, unless your a talker.

Once they go out like that they normall sont recover the same again.

Even though Im setteling in on the dark side of the jungle, I am still a designated OPusX disposal unit in the north state of CA (LOL)
I still like these smokes.

Hb

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I'm not the biggest Opus fan either. What I can say though is the last 4-5 I hjave had have been pretty impressive. Perfect burn, good flavor, etc. Not worth the hype but good cigars. Then again those last few had been sitting in my humidor for over 2 years!

·
DymOnamic
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, Looks as though OPT and myself are talkers, maybe that is why the Opus X did not burn well for us! Maybe we need to shutupnsmoke! :c

The filler tobaccos are poorly blended, the cigar is generally strong in taste which means too much lijero or too much green tobacco, the aroma is like fresh tobacco which lends me to believe that the problem is aging not blending

I think the above statement is true. The fellas I was herfing with agree, the cigar had a green smell to it, even though it looked aged. I was really taken a back by this one, for the money and prestige put upon this cigar, they should be ashamed. I would never let something like this slip out to a customer. And that is where I stand.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've had 10 Opus X Perfection #2's in the last 5 months. Two out of the ten burned well, two out of the remaining 8 plugged beyond repair and the rest needed constant relighting. I sometimes have a Ashton Vsg after breakfast and never feel anything like what you ( and I ) do after a Opus X and i'm 6'7" 300 lbs.:pu They have a great flavor but that's about it, i prefer a Joya de Nicaragua Antano these days...just a cool sweat:rolleyes: :w .

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
With all due respect to my ellow herfs, I twhleheartedly agree with OnePyroTec and his experience with Opus X. Of all the Opus that I've tried, only one has made my list of regular favorites -- the #4, a petit corona with a cedar wrap. As for the rest, I just don't get it. But hey, we all have different taste buds, and you know they say about different strokes for different folks. Just between you & me, I'll take an ISOM over an Opus X ANYTIME.

·
DymOnamic
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lord Hammer said:
i prefer a Joya de Nicaragua Antano these days...just a cool sweat:rolleyes: :w .
Lord Hammer, interesting you should say that, I ordered a 5 pack of Joya de Nicaragua Antanos' today, I think they are better too. Thought I'd stash a few in the nether regions of my humi for a year or so down the road. Gran Consuls....good stuff and the headband is optional! :w rns

·
Registered
258 Posts
You'll always remember the first:p . They are a very well made delicious cigar for a pittance of a price. I learned of them from Top 25 cigar and have three boxes aging as i write this. A breakfast cigar it is not:rolleyes: Very powerful but it won't make you sick:pu .

·
Registered
921 Posts
In my humble opinion, the Opus X is more likely not to stay lit than other cigars... Not all Opus X's. It does not hurt to let
these sit out of the humidor and not in a plastic bag (just open air) for a good hour or two before smoking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts