Cigar Forums banner

261 - 280 of 282 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Cornell & Diehl - Awakened Elder

First review here, so bear with me.

Really like the black and bright green artwork on this one. Give the impression of being strong and mysterious. Apparently this comes from an HP Lovecraft series of tobaccos which is interesting.

When I cracked this one open I was instantly hit by smell of smoky latakia and a subtle BBQ sent. Getting my nose closer to the tin I start picking up more of a sour, earthy, musty, and slightly sweet smell. There's quite a bit going on here.

As far as moisture this tobacco comes more or less ready to smoke. I was expecting it to be much more moist. It could benefit from a little drying but really wouldn't be necessary. This is a nice ribbon cut tobacco with some chunks of latakia. Really easy to pack and light.

On the initial light overall it's quite smooth and light with just a slight bite from the virginas and perique. As I smoke I'm starting to pick up more spicy elements, and a little rougher edges. The Cavendish adds a very slight sweetness and helps add some smoothness. This tobacco is more complex than most I have smoked and get hit with different levels of smokiness, sourness, and sweetness. Smoking this at a slower pace to pick up on the different flavors I enjoy it very much.

The latakia comes much more to the front about halfway into the bowl. It seems to wrap around the other tobaccos and just bring everything together. The sweetness of the cavendish also begins to stand out more mid way. This tobacco seems to get smoother and it gets closer to the bottom which I really haven't experienced before. almost bordering on the flavors of some aromatic/english crossover blends I've had in the past. There is subtle spice from the perique throughout.

Overall I would say this tobacco hits right about medium in both flavor and nicotine hit. The flavor is forward and good tasting but doesn't seem to linger in the mouth as much as other blends with this much latakia. I really like the complexity here and how it changes through out the bowl. I have lots of other tobaccos to try but I could see myself buying this again in the future. Would also like to see what it does with age.
20210220_132837_1613932514355.jpg
20210220_132450_1613932483196.jpg

·
Registered
589 Posts

·
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
28,998 Posts
Cornell & Diehl - Awakened Elder

First review here, so bear with me.

Really like the black and bright green artwork on this one. Give the impression of being strong and mysterious. Apparently this comes from an HP Lovecraft series of tobaccos which is interesting.

When I cracked this one open I was instantly hit by smell of smoky latakia and a subtle BBQ sent. Getting my nose closer to the tin I start picking up more of a sour, earthy, musty, and slightly sweet smell. There's quite a bit going on here.

As far as moisture this tobacco comes more or less ready to smoke. I was expecting it to be much more moist. It could benefit from a little drying but really wouldn't be necessary. This is a nice ribbon cut tobacco with some chunks of latakia. Really easy to pack and light.

On the initial light overall it's quite smooth and light with just a slight bite from the virginas and perique. As I smoke I'm starting to pick up more spicy elements, and a little rougher edges. The Cavendish adds a very slight sweetness and helps add some smoothness. This tobacco is more complex than most I have smoked and get hit with different levels of smokiness, sourness, and sweetness. Smoking this at a slower pace to pick up on the different flavors I enjoy it very much.

The latakia comes much more to the front about halfway into the bowl. It seems to wrap around the other tobaccos and just bring everything together. The sweetness of the cavendish also begins to stand out more mid way. This tobacco seems to get smoother and it gets closer to the bottom which I really haven't experienced before. almost bordering on the flavors of some aromatic/english crossover blends I've had in the past. There is subtle spice from the perique throughout.

Overall I would say this tobacco hits right about medium in both flavor and nicotine hit. The flavor is forward and good tasting but doesn't seem to linger in the mouth as much as other blends with this much latakia. I really like the complexity here and how it changes through out the bowl. I have lots of other tobaccos to try but I could see myself buying this again in the future. Would also like to see what it does with age.
View attachment 297298
View attachment 297296
Great review R/G for you sir!:vs_cool:

·
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
28,998 Posts
Solani Festival 2020

I like Solani Silver Flake and Virginia Flake a lot so I decided to give Festival a try. Festival is a light European-style aromatic composed of ragged ribbons and flecks of burley, virginia and black cavendish, garnished with a light fruit topping. It is almost identical to W.O. Larsen Signature except that Signature is Danish and has the unmistakeable aroma of apricots while Festival is German and has a hard to identify aroma said to be plum.

If you're looking for a change of pace from "pure" tobaccos, Festival is a nice option. After a few lights and tamps, Festival smokes to the bottom of the bowl with no relights and retains its mild fruity taste and room note right to the end. If I had to choose between Festival and Signature, I'd go with Festival. The two Larsen blends I've tried-Signature and 1864-both tended to bite me. (I've heard the same complaint from other folks on this forum as well.) Festival gave occasional hints of heading in that direction but fortunately never got there.

I prefer light European aromatics, like Festival, to heavy American ones, like Molto Dolce (which I also enjoy on occasion). Nevertheless, I have a feeling this 50g tin of Solani Festival will last me much longer than my 100g tin of Solani Virginia Flake.

Photos: Signature has been in its foil pouch stuffed in a Ball jar since 2017. This probably explains why the threads of virginia in the Signature are slightly darker than in the Solani Festival, which was purchased on Black Friday 2020.
Gawith Hogarth Bosun Plug

Im a fan of every GH blend i have tried up to now and this one did not disappoint.

Opening the box i was immediately reminded of "Bazooka" chewing gum from my childhood, for me it smells just like it (I did love Bazooka but was always pizzed off because being in UK i couldnt save the wrappers and send for the gifts posted on them)

Because i dont have a pocket knife i broke out my tuck cutter from my cigar rolling and sliced it with that, it still had to be broken up by hand as its quite a dense plug.
Was expecting Lakeland and didnt get much of it, instead i got a mix of War horse green and Condor which i didnt mind in the slightest, a little floral but nothing like Ennerdale, Coniston or Grasmere.

My pipe Palate is not the best but i picked up the Burley right away, not an overly strong smoke, i would say medium, no tongue bite (Yea) So a Va/Bur with funk is my classification.

Overall i really enjoy it and happy i snagged 1lb of it as im thinking we wont be getting anymore GH until next year.
I really enjoyed your guys reviews very much as well.
Sorry i can't hit your R/G
It wont let me for a while least ways.
It says i love you too much.
:vs_cool::vs_cool::vs_cool::vs_cool::vs_cool:

·
Registered
386 Posts
I found Blend Your Own Pipe Tobacco a little while ago and thought "yeah, I can do that..." so I picked up some different tobaccos to give it a whirl and made a 50g batch of Christmas 2018:

Virginia Double-Bright 37.5% (6 of 16 parts)
Prilep [light Oriental] 25% (4 of 16 parts)
Perique 12.5% (2 of 16 parts)
Latakia 18.75% (3 of 16 parts)
Pennsylvania (cigar leaf) 6.25% (1 of 16 parts)

I appreciate the percentages rather than ounces since it's easier to calculate (for me anyways). Then on page 12 I saw the part about pressing a blend into a cake. That set up is way to big for my noob enjoyment purposes, but I did find a post where the guy said "...All you really need is a couple of smooth pieces of wood that are fairly stout and maybe four good C clamps...". OK, a container that can handle the pressure and a way to apply said pressure...

Since I'm doing this for fun, the scale is small, and I took a two inch slip on PVC cap, lined it with a coffee filter, put about half the Christmas 2018 in, topped it with a disc of oak, and applied a C-clamp. I've been tightening it every day or two. I think I did this on the 13th (didn't write that down...). Given how much this compresses I probably could have done all 50g at once. Unintended bonus - this little cake fits perfect in an 8 oz. Ball jar.

A cool experiment. Here's the opening / reveal.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Opened a tin of Stockton.
IMG_20210423_132024.jpg

IMG_20210423_154312.jpg

Nice slices. Reminds me a bit of oysters. Smells better. Even tastes better.

Tin moisture felt fairly moist, but the slices dried up good enough to burn pretty quick.

To me it is similar to PS Bullseye Flake, but still just different enough to be standalone.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Opened a tin of Stockton.
I picked up a couple of those but dropped them into the cellar unopened. Looks good. I received two (100g) tins of Rattray's Exotic Passion today. The tins aren't sealed and the plastic the tobacco is in is loose so I transferred it to a jar immediately.

This blend is described as a "colorful blend of tobaccos comprising golden-yellow Virginia, nutty Burley and Black Cavendish. The rising unmistakable scent of fresh, juicy and sweet orange anticipates the convincing tone of the mixture. Enhanced by a duet of perfectly ripe mango and passion fruit combined with a hint of maple syrup, a well-balanced harmony is unfolding."

They aren't kidding about the "scent of fresh, juicy and sweet orange"...it's definitely there. It's not over the top or punch you in the face but it's apparent. I'm going to try this later this afternoon. I've never smelled a tobacco like this and it's promising...

Untitled.jpg Untitled.jpg

·
Registered
386 Posts
Rattray's Exotic Passion

I put this in a jar about 12 hours ago and there's a lot of smells going on it that jar. I can definitely pick out the orange. As weird as it sounds, it has a "clean" aroma to it. The fruity aroma outplays other aromas, in my opinion, but they aren't too powerful and not overwhelming at all. The moisture content is about right. I was able to put it in a pipe and fire it up (I did have to re-light a few times, mostly from newbyness I think).

The fruity notes are a nice change to the standard cherry/vanilla aromatics I've tried. The flavors are noticeable while smoking, but not over the top. This came in a 100g tin and is $18 at Smoking Pipes and $25 at Boswells. I watched a couple of reviews on YouTube and one guy said this will definitely ghost a pipe. I smoked a bowl in a brand new cob and I think I'll disagree with him. Maybe it will if I smoke it all in the same pipe, but after not after one bowl.

Overall, I really did enjoy this blend. It is very different from anything I've had so far (in my limited piping experience). I think the price point is pretty good for the amount and quality you get. Give this a try if you like aromatics and want a change, it's pretty good.

Untitled.jpg Untitled.jpg

·
Registered
386 Posts
I bought a bulk ounce of Dan Tobacco Devil's Holiday and my first thought was I might have made a mistake because it has a very strong fruity aroma. The aroma of Rattray's Exotic Passion seems a bit tame compared to this but I wanted something different. The initial aroma is very raspberry heavy to me. However, I didn't really pick up any raspberry while smoking it. The first thing I did notice was plum or fig. Later on I picked up blackberry and cherry. I was smoking this while driving and locked up my truck, and honestly, when I got back in the truck I really liked the way it smelled, not like stale smoke or anything, it was nice.

Moisture content seemed perfect, I'm guessing maybe because it wasn't tinned. But it burned nicely and didn't require any re-lights. Smoked the entire bowl to a fine gray ash and the pipe was pretty much dry when I was done.

It was $5.35/ounce at Boswell's. Overall I'm rather pleased with this blend. The strong aroma gave way to an enjoyable smoke that smoked easy with no tongue bite. If you're not into aromatics very much then you might want to pass on this. I wouldn't consider this an all day smoke, and I don't think I'd smoke it everyday, but if you're in the mood for a unique aromatic (really aromatic) then you should try an ounce. I'm glad I tried this and will definitely enjoy it in the future (and sooner rather than later too).

·
Registered
398 Posts
This seems like the perfect thread to post my first pipe experience in. This evening I opened the tin of Quiet Nights sent to me by @Hickorynut. I noticed it had a similar aroma to the Nightcap. A kind of smokey, woodsy note. Not at all displeasing.
I took a few pinches out and, crumbled it onto a paper towel for around 20 minutes before attempting my first pack. I thought I did alright lol. Out into the carport I go to begin my adventure.
I initially had trouble keeping it lit but, near halfway I found the balance of how tightly the bowl should be packed and, a close enough rhythm. Good enough to smoke it anyways.
As far as the flavors go, at first I was only getting the smokey, woodsy notes that I could smell from the tobacco itself. As the bowl progressed I picked up strong floral notes and, fruits. I can't tell you which fruits but, it wasn't citrusy. All in all, it was a pleasant experience and, I'll definitely be giving it an honest go. I believe I could have let the tobacco dry a tad longer and, I'm positive my techniques need improvement. None of us learned to run the day we took our first steps. Gratuitous smoking the pipe selfie. (I'm not good at those) included.

Sent from the PUFF smoking lounge eating half a sandwich I found in Dino's truck.
@poppajon75 That looks good enough to eat! I'm going to have to get a tin.

261 - 280 of 282 Posts