Lit with pipe zippo

Tin Note:
Citrus, Figs, Grass, Spice

Room Note:
Too Windy to catch much more than basic tobacco

First light: 9:30 pm
Natural Tobacco, Citrus, White pepper, Red Chili Pepper

Mid Bowl:
Mostly perique, spice (red pepper), no harshness. Faint background Virginia.

Mid bowl 2:
Flavor shift: spice is starting to share the show with the Virginias, still very much there but slightly subdued from the initial pepper bomb.

End of bowl: 10:06 PM
Mostly the same as after the flavor shift. The pepper picks back up for a few puffs after tamp and relight. Good to the bottom of the bowl, very mild ashy taste at the very end.

Strength:
Strong enough for a nightcap, too strong for walking about for my preference, but not a knock your socks off strength.

Thoughts:
It’s a nice blend, this one is going in a mason jar soon and will be an every now and then smoke. I was surprised at just how perique forward this blend is. If you want a spicy blend, this is it.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
OOOPs mine is the Dunhill version, if its anything like the Royal yacht its the same or very similar anyway
From what I understand, Peterson bought the rights from Dunhill when they stopped making tobacco. Allegedly they use the same tobacco, with the same formula, in the same factory, and kept the artwork, just changing the name.

It would be interesting if someone were to do a review side by side to see if the blends really are the same. The only challenge I see is the Dunhill tins would have some years of age on them, and the Peterson tins would be fresher.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
From what I understand, Peterson bought the rights from Dunhill when they stopped making tobacco. Allegedly they use the same tobacco, with the same formula, in the same factory, and kept the artwork, just changing the name.

It would be interesting if someone were to do a review side by side to see if the blends really are the same. The only challenge I see is the Dunhill tins would have some years of age on them, and the Peterson tins would be fresher.
I think Bradley at Stuff and Things did a YT vid on it.
However, it seems like the many pipers are split on if they are the same or not.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Excellent, very comprehensive review @Brew&Puff. My hat is off to pipers who can detect a range of flavors in a single bowl of tobacco let alone compare flavors of the same blend from one tin to another. My taste buds (it would be too grandiose to call my fluky apparatus a palate) are highly temperamental. There are too many days when everything tastes like harsh smoke to me, and blessed days when I can taste a variety of flavors and and thoroughly enjoy one bowl after another.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Am feeling like something new,
View attachment 282524
Dan Tobacco, Salty Dogs
I put the lighter in the pic for scale, that's a 50g plug! Shaved off a couple flakes for after dinner.
Although HU blends are not available in the US, they're manufactured by Dan Tobacco which are available here. I wonder if there are any Dan blends that are close to HU Director's Cut?

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
I cracked a tin of HU Dockworker, gifted by @Fusion, and folded a flake into my Altinok meer. According to the reviews on TR, Dockworker is a unique Burley/Oriental blend with exotic Virginias. The burley from Malawi is said to have chocolate notes, with no cigarette taste or smell, and the orientals are supposedly prominent and spicy. For some reason, the comments on TR made me think of St Bruno Flake and University Flake, both of which I like. The tin note, however, was vinegar and ketchup. My taste buds weren't awake enough this morning to detect any nuances when I first lit up. I can say it perfectly complemented the black coffee from Brazil I was drinking, almost as if the smoke were supplying cream and a bit of cocoa powder to the cup. Later, as I smoked down the bowl and my taste buds began to awaken, the tobacco opened up. The nicely balanced blend of tastes scored a bullseye on the flavor wheel for me-dead center of sweet, sour, savory, nutty and buttery. It wasn't bitter or salty, and I didn't detect the spiciness. The flakes were sticky and flexible when I folded and stuffed them but they took to the light fairly easily, kept their flavor to the bottom of the bowl and never bit me. On first impression, Dockworker is a satisfying, creamy, mellow smoke with a flavor profile that falls right in the middle of my strike zone. Thanks again Colin for sending me the tin.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I figured since you guys are smoking HU blends that I'd dig into my HU stash. Behold, Fayyum kake.

So far, I'm noticing how smooth it is. And also, that it has a bit of a kick to it. Granted my nicotine tolerance is super low given I haven't been smoking too much.
I pick up a hint of fermentation which makes me think it needs time to settle. Not sure if that's even a thing. It tastes "fresh." That might also come from a hint of an earthy/vegetative taste. Ultimately I'm thinking I want it to air out a little. Maybe that's because it's pretty powerful, albeit not overwhelming.
Good stuff so far. We'll see how she progresses over the next few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
felt like opening a tin... picked something that's no longer in production, and i only have one. so... why sit on it any longer?

Sutliff Golden age.

i most likely purchased this in 2012 (best guess)

tin note is not very potent, but pleasant. i cant quite put a name on what i'm smelling, it's a subtle mixture of different things. a little sweet-is, woodsy, straw-like.
then it hit me... it reminded me of when i was a little kid, how my pet rabbit's cage smelled after we cleaned it :) we suffed it with hay and straw.

moisture level from tin was near perfect for my preferences. not too wet, didn't need drying.

depending on where i look, this gets either compared to elizabethan, as a virginia perique blend, or... a blend of perique, turkish, burley, black cavendish, and virginia

i'm leaning towards the latter, there is more going on than just a VA/Per
i haven't opened my tin of elizabethan yet, so can't compare.

flavor, is on the medium side, and they all sort of muddle together. i'd almost call it balanced.
feels pretty light on the perique, OR nearly 8 years of resting has taken the bite out of it.

sorry, not good at picking up on all the details. but i do enjoy this. would make a great morning smoke, or like what i'm doing now, the first one for the night, before i pick something more full bodied.

paired it with mexican coffee, black.

if anyone knows of similar current production blends, let me know.

Cheers!
J.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Was genuinely considering adding to this topic but... as one of the last few unopened tins in existence, this one is waiting for a special occasion. But i can say that this is my favourite tobacco. When i was a child, we had part of our house burn down in a fire. My dad managed to save, amongst other things, a lot of his old books. As i was growing up we never had much of a TV, not to mention computers, or video games, or the internet, so what i had for entertainment were those old books my dad saved from the fire. All of them were touched by fire, some more than others, so as i was embarking on all sorts of stories and fairytales, the smell that always followed me was of old musty books and smoke. And that is exactly what this tobacco smells like to me. It brings back a lot of memories, a lot of nostalgia, so it is a very special blend for me. Unfortunately, this is the last tin i'll ever see, most likely, so i'm saving it for something special.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Was genuinely considering adding to this topic but... as one of the last few unopened tins in existence, this one is waiting for a special occasion. But i can say that this is my favourite tobacco. When i was a child, we had part of our house burn down in a fire. My dad managed to save, amongst other things, a lot of his old books. As i was growing up we never had much of a TV, not to mention computers, or video games, or the internet, so what i had for entertainment were those old books my dad saved from the fire. All of them were touched by fire, some more than others, so as i was embarking on all sorts of stories and fairytales, the smell that always followed me was of old musty books and smoke. And that is exactly what this tobacco smells like to me. It brings back a lot of memories, a lot of nostalgia, so it is a very special blend for me. Unfortunately, this is the last tin i'll ever see, most likely, so i'm saving it for something special.
Nice memory. Reading books, especially physical books, might become as rare as that tin of Frog Morton Cellar.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Solani Festival 2020

I like Solani Silver Flake and Virginia Flake a lot so I decided to give Festival a try. Festival is a light European-style aromatic composed of ragged ribbons and flecks of burley, virginia and black cavendish, garnished with a light fruit topping. It is almost identical to W.O. Larsen Signature except that Signature is Danish and has the unmistakeable aroma of apricots while Festival is German and has a hard to identify aroma said to be plum.

If you're looking for a change of pace from "pure" tobaccos, Festival is a nice option. After a few lights and tamps, Festival smokes to the bottom of the bowl with no relights and retains its mild fruity taste and room note right to the end. If I had to choose between Festival and Signature, I'd go with Festival. The two Larsen blends I've tried-Signature and 1864-both tended to bite me. (I've heard the same complaint from other folks on this forum as well.) Festival gave occasional hints of heading in that direction but fortunately never got there.

I prefer light European aromatics, like Festival, to heavy American ones, like Molto Dolce (which I also enjoy on occasion). Nevertheless, I have a feeling this 50g tin of Solani Festival will last me much longer than my 100g tin of Solani Virginia Flake.

Photos: Signature has been in its foil pouch stuffed in a Ball jar since 2017. This probably explains why the threads of virginia in the Signature are slightly darker than in the Solani Festival, which was purchased on Black Friday 2020.

Attachments

·
Retired Chaos Designer
11,659 Posts
Solani Festival 2020

I like Solani Silver Flake and Virginia Flake a lot so I decided to give Festival a try. Festival is a light European-style aromatic composed of ragged ribbons and flecks of burley, virginia and black cavendish, garnished with a light fruit topping. It is almost identical to W.O. Larsen Signature except that Signature is Danish and has the unmistakeable aroma of apricots while Festival is German and has a hard to identify aroma said to be plum.

If you're looking for a change of pace from "pure" tobaccos, Festival is a nice option. After a few lights and tamps, Festival smokes to the bottom of the bowl with no relights and retains its mild fruity taste and room note right to the end. If I had to choose between Festival and Signature, I'd go with Festival. The two Larsen blends I've tried-Signature and 1864-both tended to bite me. (I've heard the same complaint from other folks on this forum as well.) Festival gave occasional hints of heading in that direction but fortunately never got there.

I prefer light European aromatics, like Festival, to heavy American ones, like Molto Dolce (which I also enjoy on occasion). Nevertheless, I have a feeling this 50g tin of Solani Festival will last me much longer than my 100g tin of Solani Virginia Flake.

Photos: Signature has been in its foil pouch stuffed in a Ball jar since 2017. This probably explains why the threads of virginia in the Signature are slightly darker than in the Solani Festival, which was purchased on Black Friday 2020.
Sounds good David. Solani does it right!

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
Gawith Hogarth Bosun Plug

Im a fan of every GH blend i have tried up to now and this one did not disappoint.

Opening the box i was immediately reminded of "Bazooka" chewing gum from my childhood, for me it smells just like it (I did love Bazooka but was always pizzed off because being in UK i couldnt save the wrappers and send for the gifts posted on them)

Because i dont have a pocket knife i broke out my tuck cutter from my cigar rolling and sliced it with that, it still had to be broken up by hand as its quite a dense plug.
Was expecting Lakeland and didnt get much of it, instead i got a mix of War horse green and Condor which i didnt mind in the slightest, a little floral but nothing like Ennerdale, Coniston or Grasmere.

My pipe Palate is not the best but i picked up the Burley right away, not an overly strong smoke, i would say medium, no tongue bite (Yea) So a Va/Bur with funk is my classification.

Overall i really enjoy it and happy i snagged 1lb of it as im thinking we wont be getting anymore GH until next year.

241 - 260 of 282 Posts