Cigar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not believe I had the master blend as I saw in that review those were laser etched. Mine was not. It had the fabric band with the dark blue background and bright Gold O. So, on to the review!

Looks: Beautiful. The band with the gold borders highlighted against the dark brown, almost black, wrapper was simply stunning. The wrapper was silky smooth and had one single vein that spiraled up the length of the cigar. I know veins are not considered good, but it was like the one imperfection that made you realize how perfect the rest was.

Pre-light draw : Good. Not too much to say here. It wasn't like a wind tunnel, it wasn't like getting a piece of ice in your frozen cappucino straw either.

Smell : I tried the suggestion in another thread and from a slight sniff of the lit end, I definitely got a wood smell. Cedar maybe? This cigar was touching the edge of a cedar box I got for my tupperdor, so maybe that was it. Either way, a good scent.
I smelled the cut end after smoking a bit and I swear I detected cream. I might be crazy, but you'll never get me to admit it in public. :cool:

Taste : Here is where we get to the meat of why we smoke cigars! At least I consider this the reason. Alas, this thing sucked. For all of the previous qualities, this category made me sure that I will never ever again purchase one of these. There was NO taste! I smoked about 1/2 of this cigar over a 30-40 minute period and I got nothing. I tried bigger puffs and all it did was scald my nose or throat. I tried smaller puffs and..nothing. The only reason I smoked it this long is it was a great evening outside and my wife and I were just having fun talking after Isabel went to bed.

Overall : Bleah. I cannot recommend this cigar. I bought it as a single, and the $5 or $6 I spent will be going towards an ERDM Robusto Oscuro with change left over. The lack of taste truly destroyed a great-looking cigar. Maybe if I ever do get another I can just frame it on the wall.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Re: Olivia O Maduro - Robusto

Sounds like your read my recom'n on sniffing a cigar. It tells you what should be there, but can't make it come through when you smoke it.

Good review, love most Oliva products, but have no experience with this one.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

miketafc said:
Sounds like your read my recom'n on sniffing a cigar. It tells you what should be there, but can't make it come through when you smoke it.

Good review, love most Oliva products, but have no experience with this one.
Yes, it was what you had suggested and it helped a lot! Now I'll just have to try it on a cigar that is good. :)

·
Registered
978 Posts

I know how one bad cigar can really put you off. However, if i had let just one cigar keep me from trying another (of the same cigar) then i would have missed out on some really fantastic cigars. In my case this applies to quite a few cigars.

In other words, don't judge this product on the basis of just one cigar -- or even one box for that matter. Variation happens, it's part of the complex world of cigar smoking.

As far as the Olivia O is concerned, it is a quality line that delivers great taste in my opinion. I think you would be doing yourself a disservice, and would miss out on what this line has to offer, on the basis of your first experience with it.

just my .02 (and i expect change)

_____
rm

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Roger Miller" said:
I know how one bad cigar can really put you off. However, if i had let just one cigar keep me from trying another (of the same cigar) then i would have missed out on some really fantastic cigars. In my case this applies to quite a few cigars.

In other words, don't judge this product on the basis of just one cigar -- or even one box for that matter. Variation happens, it's part of the complex world of cigar smoking.

As far as the Olivia O is concerned, it is a quality line that delivers great taste in my opinion. I think you would be doing yourself a disservice, and would miss out on what this line has to offer, on the basis of your first experience with it.

just my .02 (and i expect change)

_____
rm
I understand. I probably will try another sometime, but right now I've got too many others to try before I go back. :)

·
CS Cog
1,097 Posts

Well I ended up smoking it and it gave me quite a buzz. Maybe I didn't eat much but after about 2/3 of it I felt pretty light-headed but went ahead and finished it till the end. I came home and was pretty knocked out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.