Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
LineWalker
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked around the forum and couldn't find the answers I needed. I just received a cab of JL#2 the other day. About 9 cigars have major split and/or unraveling issues. It just seems like the wrapper is extremely thin and fragile. Beyond trying to figure out how to fix them, I'm wondering if I should contact the source? Do I tell them I want to be reimbursed for the damaged cigars. The cab was unopened, so I know the merchant wasn't aware......but I don't want to be out 9 cigars. Advice appreciated.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Alot of ISOM retailers advertise a "satisfaction guarantee." (I know mine do) I have no idea where your smokes came from so I can't give you any real insight, but I'd contact your source and see what he says. Betcha he does something to take care of you. No business man wants an unhappy customer, especially in a rumor mill like cyberspace . And this sounds like an especially unacceptable problem.

Sickboy said:
I looked around the forum and couldn't find the answers I needed. I just received a cab of JL#2 the other day. About 9 cigars have major split and/or unraveling issues. It just seems like the wrapper is extremely thin and fragile. Beyond trying to figure out how to fix them, I'm wondering if I should contact the source? Do I tell them I want to be reimbursed for the damaged cigars. The cab was unopened, so I know the merchant wasn't aware......but I don't want to be out 9 cigars. Advice appreciated.

·
LineWalker
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I should have included this in the initial post as well. What especially concerns me is if this is a common problem? This is the first cab I've purchased. I'm curious if this is a sign that this merchant maybe doesn't use the best storage methods? Does everyone experience a certain number of 'casualties' with every order?

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
If you're a cigar ho' like me, you'll just find some vegetable gum & just glue to torn wrappers to the binder. Trust me they'll smoke fine.

Did it once with a cabinet box of Partagas Lonsdale, the cabinet itself was exceptional and even the glued ones smoked just fine. In this case, the merchant just wasn't very careful in how he shipped. I stopped using him many years ago. Overall though, you can see some damage from time to time, it happens.

Still, if aesthetics are important to you, then you should contact the vendor to let him know.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Your smokes are probably victems of too much humidity rather than poor wrappers.

You should send them all back. The rest could possibly spit or unravel when you smoke them and they heat up.

I'm ashamed to say I know because I did a very idiotic thing once when travelling without any type of humidifier and a new box of stogies and not much experience with the leaf. Put them in the hotel bathroom and put the shower on hot to create some steam. Phone rang, one hour later that bathroom was like a steambath and the next day seven split cigars.

Most of the remaining lot split or worse unravelled even after I dried them.

We pay for our education, and stupid mistakes. :hn

·
Registered
904 Posts
MoTheMan said:
If you're a cigar ho' like me, you'll just find some vegetable gum & just glue to torn wrapperrs to the binder. Trust me they'll smoke fine.
Did it once with a cabinet box of Partagas Lonsdale, they smoked just fine.
Still, aesthetics count, and you should contact the vendor if it's better that way.
MO Just wondering -- Where do you find vegetable gum or glue. Looking to finally glue my cedar strips to my tupperdors and possibly turn a broken beer refrig into a refrigador.

·
LineWalker
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
miketafc said:
MO Just wondering -- Where do you find vegetable gum or glue. Looking to finally glue my cedar strips to my tupperdors and possibly turn a broken beer refrig into a refrigador.
You beat me to it Mike. Not to show my naivete, but I've never used vegetable gum.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Vegetable gum/glue used to be available in cigar repair kits, now no longer being carried.
Last small bottle of it I got from a BOTL, but I bet you could find some doing a google search.
I'll see what I can turn up when I get home tonight.
OR perhaps, one of the members here can point to a good source.

·
Registered
904 Posts
MoTheMan said:
Vegetable gum/glue used to be available in cigar repair kits, now no longer being carried.
Last small bottle of it I got from a BOTL, but I bet you could find some doing a google search.
It would also be helpful if anyone can tell me where to get cedar. The kind you would use to line a refrigador. As you might have guessed I'm not the typical handyman and am "home depot" ignorant when it comes to these things.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Here's a link I found for "Revive" cigar glue. I just might have to get some of this stuff.

http://amishshop.com/cgi-local/hazel.cgi?client=32565308&action=serve&item=rcaccessories.htm#REVIVE

MoTheMan said:

·
Registered
579 Posts
I know Bargain Humidors has got cedar kits for coolerdors. Check out their website.

miketafc said:
It would also be helpful if anyone can tell me where to get cedar. The kind you would use to line a refrigador. As you might have guessed I'm not the typical handyman and am "home depot" ignorant when it comes to these things.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Glad to be of service, Mo. don't know about you, but I tend to think this is the kind of thing PDS could sell on the site.

MoTheMan said:
Cool! I just ordered two small bottles. Thanks for the search magno, I hadn't been able to find it before.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Sickboy said:
I actually had some damages smokes a couple months back and contacted the merchant. They told me to keep the damaged ones and try to enjoy them and credited my account with the cost. I told them I had pictures and they said no need.

Magno thanks for putting up that link...now I can enjoy them.

·
LineWalker
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gargamel said:
I actually had some damages smokes a couple months back and contacted the merchant. They told me to keep the damaged ones and try to enjoy them and credited my account with the cost. I told them I had pictures and they said no need.
Thats funny I just read this Gargamel. I just got done reading an e-mail from my merchant and thats exactly how he handled it. He credited me for the ones I thought were unsmokeable. I think I might be able to get some good smoke out of them, but it's gonna take some work. Thanks for all the input fellas.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Sickboy: Way to go, sounds like a good vendor

XXX & Magno: Thanks for the info

Mike T

·
Registered
314 Posts
miketafc said:
I recently purchased some spanish cedar on EBAY. Check it out there is more there than you might think. Just make sure you know what sizes you are looking for. Try This!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts