1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
The Krazy Kanuck
7,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obama Extends the U.S. Trade Embargo on Cuba
Andrew Nagy
Posted: September 15, 2011

The United States' trade embargo on Cuba, the longest such restriction in modern history, will continue for another year after President Obama signed legislation that extends the law on Tuesday.

The Trading With the Enemy Act, which was originally enacted in 1917 and gives the President the power to oversee and restrict the country's trading policy with enemies in times of war, was slated to end on Friday unless Obama intervened.

Obama, though, chose to extend the act, declaring in a memorandum to the Secretary of State and the Secretary of the Treasury: "I hereby determine that the continuation for one year of the exercise of those authorities with respect to Cuba is in the national interest of the United States."

The embargo would not have suddenly ended on Friday if Obama did not re-sign the Trading With the Enemy Act. Congress was granted the power to override a presidential decision to end the embargo when it passed the Helms-Burton Act of 1996.

The move to extend the embargo is not surprising, but there had been signs in the beginning of Obama's presidency that U.S. relations with Cuba might improve.

Early in 2009, Obama lifted travel and remittance restrictions on Cuban-Americans and abolished limitations on money transfers. And just this year, U.S. Customs approved eight more airports for passenger flights between Cuba and the U.S.

Obama also made strides to improve business relations with the island. He lifted sanctions to allow U.S. telecommunication companies the chance to apply for business licenses in Cuba, encouraging cell phone, Internet, radio and satellite television technologies there.

In addition, Obama made it easier for businessmen to sell agricultural and medical goods in Cuba by offering a general travel license that does not require individual permission.

·
Money Never Sleeps
3,261 Posts
If he were to remove it next year, I'd vote for him again...lol.

This is one of the dumbest embargo's in place, yet we have no problem trading with China.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
To me it's all about the Bay of Pigs. We got caught with our fingers in the cookie jar. IMO, when Fidel goes to stare at the sky for eternity, the embargo will be lifted. The last living finger pointer will be gone.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Washington does so many other stupid things, I don't think the Bay of Pigs is even in the mix. It's all about being reelected. Most under forty don't even know where the Bay of Pigs is, much less care what happened there...
Well, another example of you live with what you elect.

·
Original Drugstore Cowboy
18 Posts
just another example of our government focusing our time and money on things that just dont matter. this embargo is beyond ridiculous at this point

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I should of known better, to reply to a thread, that could get out of hand. Waiter check please. :spy:

·
Architeuthis dux
704 Posts
I agree that the embargo is really stupid. I think they're holding out on this embargo so they don't make previous presidents look stupid based on what they've said and promised. I think they're afraid that if they lift the embargo it would show weakness. I still would not vote for him even if he were to lift the embargo with Cuba.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts

This is one of the dumbest embargo's in place, yet we have no problem trading with China.
China's military strength gives them incredible trading flexibilty with us,my friend.If we had to go to war with Cuba,we'd win...with China?..I dunno.

·
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
28,752 Posts

China how about Vietnam how many Americans died there!
Not one has ever died fighting Cuba. By far the stupidest embargo ever!
But look on the bright side the quality of Cuban cigars would suffer if the flood gates opened! I just feel sorry for the people of Cuba who are really the only ones hurt by this stupidity!

·
Registered
555 Posts
I thought obama was talkin about lifting the ban pre election?
I never figured it would be lifted, no one in office likes to make waves and thinks if we lasted thing long without trading with them we can last 4 more years and let it be the new guys problem.

Luckily for me I think my no trade embargo might be lifted pretty soon... :)

·
Registered
469 Posts
What I got from that is they are creating a one way road. US business can go into Cuba but Cuban business can't come into the US. I suppose BOTL's are the worst impacted by such a policy. However I'm kind of worried about what will happen the day the wall comes down. Will quality plummet or prices sky rocket as the sticks from Cuba meet demand? Of course with all te publicity the cigar market would probably boom with new interest and everything would go to hell for a few years. I better keep working growing my little collection :)

·
The Karate Squid
10,140 Posts
I'm fine with the embargo. If all of America suddenly has access to CCs, it means either less availability, higher prices, lower quality, or some combination of all three.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I'm fine with the embargo. If all of America suddenly has access to CCs, it means either less availability, higher prices, lower quality, or some combination of all three.
I think if all of the USA had access to CCs the price would actually drop as a whole. CC's might go up, because there's suddenly a demand, but NCs might go down because of the lack of demand. And actually, we might get some of the Canadian CCs to drop in prices... MAYBE. But I do think that some of the companies that moved out of the ISOM might move back. And that means more supply. More supply = lower prices... demand would go up too... I'm not sure it would be that big of a deal honestly. The pres. is just worried about politics and winning Florida.

·
The Karate Squid
10,140 Posts
I think if all of the USA had access to CCs the price would actually drop as a whole. CC's might go up, because there's suddenly a demand, but NCs might go down because of the lack of demand. And actually, we might get some of the Canadian CCs to drop in prices... MAYBE. But I do think that some of the companies that moved out of the ISOM might move back. And that means more supply. More supply = lower prices... demand would go up too... I'm not sure it would be that big of a deal honestly. The pres. is just worried about politics and winning Florida.
I was speaking solely to CC prices, which would initially skyrocket.

Then one of two things would happen:

1. When they rush to keep up with demand, they would compromise standards in order to get supply our there, and quality would go down

Or

2. They refuse to compromise, and supply would stay the same, but with the demand skyrocketing, the prices would skyrocket as well, and availability would dissapear.

·
Master Illusione-a-Tatist
2,009 Posts

:tu

I think too many old voters who remember these days are still breathing. Politicians tread lightly to retain their votes. :dunno: :censored: :censored: to say the least. We all should email the president. Operation liberate Cuban *cough* [Cigars] Trade!!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts