Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 234 Posts

· Ask me why I dinged Black
10,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cold weather coming. Brown sugar and skim milk and steel cut oats. I am getting a real jones for steel cut oatmeal.

Imported...

Mass market...

and organic...

Yumm. Steel cut oats.

With bacon on the side.

· Registered
1,366 Posts
I just buy it in bulk at the local whole foods store. Cook on the stovetop for about 10 minutes before bed and leave it. Get up in the morning, heat and eat! I always add something; fresh berries, dried berries, nuts, raisins, cinnamon, etc :dr

· Misplaced
6,243 Posts
Why does Steel cutting them make them better? Would Gold Cut Oats be even costlier and Iron Cut oats be a substantial source of Iron? Am I way off here?

I like grits.

· Luvin' me some Lagavulin
1,794 Posts
After cooking take them off the stove add cream/milk to consistency you like and let it simmer (not really, low heat @200) in the oven for about 15 minutes - makes them extra creamy!

Love oatmeal, but rarely have the time to take and cook the good stuff.

10,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Why does Steel cutting them make them better? Would Gold Cut Oats be even costlier and Iron Cut oats be a substantial source of Iron? Am I way off here?

I like grits.
Gold cut oats are my dream; plutonium cut oats my nightmare. Raw oats have a hard shell that doesn't eat well; steel (blade) cut oats are chopped sections of the whole oat, less the hull. Rolled oats, by comparison, have been steamed, crushed, mashed, and toasted. Steel cut oats have a much nuttier flavor and more texture in the eating - it is less mush and more (not quite) crunch. Do yourself a favor - have some steel cut oatmeal. With crispy bacon.

10,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bob's Red Mill...

when im dieting down... Bob's Red Mill has saved me many times!
You are obviously a man in the know but do YOU have the muscle to back up my claims of steel-cut goodness? Heh heh.

And for those nabobs of oat-negativism that dropped by here to say they don't eat steel cut oats (blah blah blah)... how about you all go start your own eggs and grits thread somewhere else fer cripes sake. This is a steel (and, marginally, gold) cut oats thread. With crispy bacon.

Jeezo. Like a buncha kids ringing doorbells and running. Eggs and grits in an oat thread. Where's the dignity? :rolleyes:

· Misplaced
6,243 Posts
Gold cut oats are my dream; plutonium cut oats my nightmare. Raw oats have a hard shell that doesn't eat well; steel (blade) cut oats are chopped sections of the whole oat, less the hull. Rolled oats, by comparison, have been steamed, crushed, mashed, and toasted. Steel cut oats have a much nuttier flavor and more texture in the eating - it is less mush and more (not quite) crunch. Do yourself a favor - have some steel cut oatmeal. With crispy bacon.
Will do! I am always looking for something different for my weekend breakfast!

10,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Will do! I am always looking for something different for my weekend breakfast!
Get the powerful 30-minute cooktime oats, not the girlie quick ones. Taste test as they thicken to find your texture sweet spot. Leave a little crunch.

As noted, you can cook partway at night and leave on the stovetop 'til morning. They are very durable. Also, you can make a double, triple or fourple recipe and put the balance in the 'fridge (for days and days and days) - it will reheat by stove or nuke about like new. The "too much cooking time" thing is a red herring for the eggs and instant grits slackers. Ignore them. Cook once, eat for days.

1 - 20 of 234 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.