Cigar Forums banner
601 - 620 of 626 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,536 Posts
To no one in particular...

When you use a punch, twist it to cut the disc out of the cap. "Punch" is really a misnomer. It's not meant to just be pushed straight in; you risk cracking the head of the cigar if you do that. It's really just a cylindrical blade, and like a knife blade the cutting edge needs to be drawn across the material you're cutting to get a clean cut, in this case in a circular motion.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts

When you use a punch, twist it to cut the disc out of the cap. "Punch" is really a misnomer. It's not meant to just be pushed straight in; you risk cracking the head of the cigar if you do that. It's really just a cylindrical blade, and like a knife blade the cutting edge needs to be drawn across the material you're cutting to get a clean cut, in this case in a circular motion.
Another Noob mistake for me. Thanks @curmudgeonista

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,756 Posts

Very accurate, I like my sticks at 65% so I not only twist my punch but do it slowly to prevent cracking.

·
Super Moderator
17,545 Posts

A little moisture on the cap doesn't hurt either..ASSUMING IT'S YOUR PUNCH

sent from Bob's.. smoking customs til he gets home and presses charges..

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
A little moisture on the cap doesn't hurt either..ASSUMING IT'S YOUR PUNCH

sent from Bob's.. smoking customs til he gets home and presses charges..
I always put a little moisture on my caps right b4 I cut them...When dropping humity down to 65% you need to be a lil more cautious as your cigars will almost be brittle compared to 70%. Not many things worse than cutting a cap and seeing the wrapper unravel.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

·
Newish
66 Posts
Spanish cedar is Cedrela odorata and is found in central/south America and even Africa around Cameroon. It is definitely not in the cedar family at all, it is an alternative to mahogany in those parts of the world, and used for humidors, mmmmm.
That is a big mistake of noobs getting excited thinking they can go to Lowe's for some American aromatic cedar and build a humidor. Definitely don't do that. It's use is for chests, closets, and bug resistant siding, lol.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
Not a cedar what??? Good info

·
Banned
4,066 Posts
As I'm getting some boxes ready to ship, I am thinking about how much I've saves on shipping charges by doing it the right way.

The small flat rate boxes are 7.20 to ship and reall dont hold many smokes. The next box up is 9 bucks or more.

You can get small boxes on Amazon for next to nothing and ship them first class with tracking through USPS for 4-5 bucks depending on weight.

Doesn't sound like much, but some days I ship 4-5 boxes at a time and may do that 2-3 times a month. That's potentially 30 bucks you could be spending on cigars!

Sent from where the stars at night are big and bright.

·
Trust Me, I'm Not Lion
2,997 Posts
As I'm getting some boxes ready to ship, I am thinking about how much I've saves on shipping charges by doing it the right way.

The small flat rate boxes are 7.20 to ship and reall dont hold many smokes. The next box up is 9 bucks or more.

You can get small boxes on Amazon for next to nothing and ship them first class with tracking through USPS for 4-5 bucks depending on weight.

Doesn't sound like much, but some days I ship 4-5 boxes at a time and may do that 2-3 times a month. That's potentially 30 bucks you could be spending on cigars!

Sent from where the stars at night are big and bright.
Beginner stuff - take that Priority box and stick it in a Priority envelope - ships for $6.70, gets there in 2 days, comes with free insurance, and has tracking

Need more room? Take two priority small flat rate boxes and they fit in a Legal envelope - now you're at a whopping $7 for priority shipping on up to 50 cigars or so, depending on size/packaging.

Most boxes can fit in one of the two envelopes as well, sometimes two boxes can fit per envelope.

Meanwhile, use Regional Rate A boxes if you need a larger size, usually ships for around $9-11 (can even be less if the recipient isn't very far away across the country)

and then medium flat rate boxes come in at $13.65, if the regional isn't large enough - or if it's too far & heavy (regional across the country over 3 lbs can cost more than a medium flat-rate)

But in general, there are better ways to do it than just shipping a flat rate box.

Problem with first-class is that there isn't insurance, and no delivery guarantees. When selling, usually USPS Priority is standard, but I could fathom using 1st class if it was a trade or something (or international)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Did that with a cig when I still smoked them. I would agree, very painful and extremely embarrassing.

·
Not a Serious Person
429 Posts
When I was growing up, my father had a lovely wooden humidor sitting on his dresser. He didn’t smoke at all, so he used it to to store collar stays and cufflinks and all manner of manly accoutrements. Despite the fact that it was not humidifying anything, it was always referred to as “the humidor,” as in, “could you grab my other pocketknife out of the humidor for me?”

I was an adult before I learned that “humidor” was not synonymous with “nice box for storing miscellaneous stuff.” :)

·
Super Moderator
17,545 Posts
When I was growing up, my father had a lovely wooden humidor sitting on his dresser. He didn't smoke at all, so he used it to to store collar stays and cufflinks and all manner of manly accoutrements. Despite the fact that it was not humidifying anything, it was always referred to as "the humidor," as in, "could you grab my other pocketknife out of the humidor for me?"

I was an adult before I learned that "humidor" was not synonymous with "nice box for storing miscellaneous stuff." :)
The way some of these guys season their humidors, they usually end up "a nice box for storing miscellaneous stuff"...lol

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

601 - 620 of 626 Posts