Cigar Forums banner
581 - 600 of 626 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
My first cigar was a medium/full cigar, nothing in my stomach and ended up on the couch for an hour sick haha. I didn't let that experience ruin cigars for me though and kept on learning.
I totally did that when I first started. I made this video (not the best quality) about not getting sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
My noob mistake was buying cigars in a department store. A Montecristo No.2 cost me $50 and a Petit Edmundo for $30. That was only couple months ago, now I purchase nice cigars from those online stores with good reputation.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My noob mistake was freaking out about RH. I have a tupperdor set up inside a wine cooler and couldn't get the RH down with boveda's. Or so I thought.. Ended up being a hygrometer issue and once I got that figured out it reads steady at 65%.
This was also my noob mistake. Now as long as my RH is between the ranges of 63% and 70% I leave em alone. I would also constantly check the RH when I got my first setup.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I’m currently a noob so I’m sure I have plenty of mistakes in my future. First few cigars I ever had turned out I was completely butchering them, between cutting them incorrectly, lighting them incorrectly and smoking them too fast.

Live and learn

·
Registered
448 Posts
Not a mistake, but something a buddy taught me: if your smoke is getting too hot and making it difficult to enjoy the flavor gently blow through the cigar rather than drawing, this will make your cherry hot and give you a good draw but cause (at least) the next few pulls to be cooled down quite a bit.
Noob here,

This will come in handy because I find that there are cigars that taste so good to me, I hit them too much too fast

·
Super Moderator
17,545 Posts
You're not alone.
There's someone else here who punctured himself looking for a sandwich under his truck seat.
I think I still have the crime scene photos..lol

Warning : never haphazardly try to reassemble a modus in the dark.

sent from.. looking for the half a sammich I left in my truck.... JON!!!!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Well my biggest noob mistake was not knowing I needed a humidor or something similar. Yea I know! I did get a humidity pack after a while and kept it in with my cigars but that was just in a empty box from one of the local stores. I have picked up a travel humidor, and seasoned it. I have been using a Ziploc to get everything back to where they should be. Nothing got too dried out so I think/hope they will be ok.

·
Registered
768 Posts
This is not really a mistake, but I cannot find where else to put it. And this might save you a few dollars.

I am learning about resting and aging my cigars. I have a spread sheet that keeps track of my sticks and age, but if I have two of the same sticks bought at different times I would not really be able to tell. So I bought a pack of 400 blank cigar bands for around $20, which are super cool. However, the next weekend, after I received them, my wife and I had a yard sale. When spending all that time putting little circle price tag stickers on everything I thought to myself, Son of a Bi*#h, I could have been using these the whole time.

If you want to date them in your humidor and leave the cellophane on the sticks, these are the way to go. But if you do not have the cellophane you may need the bands instead.

Not really a mistake, but a learning moment.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Red, white, yellow, northern, western, eastern, you name it cedar is not the same as Spanish Cedar.

Using cedar instead of Spanish Cedar is like cooking with castor oil instead olive oil. Both are oils and have oil in the name, but the end product ain’t the same, and neither will be the enjoyment. Same goes with Spanish Cedar and other cedar both are wood and have cedar in the name, but the end product ain’t the same and neither will be the enjoyment.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Red, white, yellow, northern, western, eastern, you name it cedar is not the same as Spanish Cedar.

Using cedar instead of Spanish Cedar is like cooking with castor oil instead olive oil. Both are oils and have oil in the name, but the end product ain't the same, and neither will be the enjoyment. Same goes with Spanish Cedar and other cedar both are wood and have cedar in the name, but the end product ain't the same and neither will be the enjoyment.
Spanish cedar is Cedrela odorata and is found in central/south America and even Africa around Cameroon. It is definitely not in the cedar family at all, it is an alternative to mahogany in those parts of the world, and used for humidors, mmmmm.
That is a big mistake of noobs getting excited thinking they can go to Lowe's for some American aromatic cedar and build a humidor. Definitely don't do that. It's use is for chests, closets, and bug resistant siding, lol.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Went to my local B&M and quickly went for the bottom shelf for some of the daily cheapies I like to buy. Grabbed one from a brand not familiar to me trying to expand my horizons. Took it home and cut it, expecting to smoke immediately. On the pre-light draw I took in a bunch of small bits of the filler tobacco. Quickly researched and found it to be a short filler stick.

Wasn’t a bad smoke save for picking the bits off my tongue for the next hour. Lesson learned, check before buying

·
Super Moderator
17,545 Posts
Went to my local B&M and quickly went for the bottom shelf for some of the daily cheapies I like to buy. Grabbed one from a brand not familiar to me trying to expand my horizons. Took it home and cut it, expecting to smoke immediately. On the pre-light draw I took in a bunch of small bits of the filler tobacco. Quickly researched and found it to be a short filler stick.

Wasn't a bad smoke save for picking the bits off my tongue for the next hour. Lesson learned, check before buying

The key to short fillers is to use a punch.. Trust me..I'm the king of short fillers

sent from Bob's.. smoking customs til he gets home and presses charges..

581 - 600 of 626 Posts