Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 626 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear fellow Noobs;

I thought Id start a Noob mistake thread here in the noob section where we can share our mistakes and what we learned from them. hopefully this will be deemed "Sticky worthy". So before you ask a question in the general forum about "what went wrong?", you can check here first. I think we can learn alot without having to clog up the general discussion forum with the same noob questions OVER and Over again......actually maybe this would make a good sub-forum? I'll share the first stupid mistake in the next post.

Try to follow the format of:
Topic,
Your experience,
What you learned.

If a specific BOTL (Brother Of The Leaf)gave you particularly good advice, give them a shout out!
:smoke:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Smoking on an empty stomach is a BAD idea.

A few weeks agou I was LOVING a FLD Double Ligero (my strongest stick so far) while working in my woodshop. Toward the end and about the time I had to get ready to go to work for a long night shift, I came down with the worst case of Nicotine OD I've had yet. Never being a smoker before getting into cigars, I didn't think about the increased potency on an empty stomach. And the 3 cups of black coffee I was drinking didn't help.

What I learned from the BOTL's, Never smoke (especially something that strong) on an empty stomach. Drinking something sweet seems to help.

I hope this gives a good start to the thread and we can all learn alot from each other in addition to what we learn from our BBOTL's (Big Brothers Of The Leaf)

·
Registered
134 Posts
before you post on MAW, PIF, and bombs make sure you read the rules before hand i made this mistake already hope this helps someone

·
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
29,873 Posts
:rockon:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Smoking on an empty stomach is a BAD idea.

A few weeks agou I was LOVING a FLD Double Ligero (my strongest stick so far) while working in my woodshop. Toward the end and about the time I had to get ready to go to work for a long night shift, I came down with the worst case of Nicotine OD I've had yet. Never being a smoker before getting into cigars, I didn't think about the increased potency on an empty stomach. And the 3 cups of black coffee I was drinking didn't help.

What I learned from the BOTL's, Never smoke (especially something that strong) on an empty stomach. Drinking something sweet seems to help.

I hope this gives a good start to the thread and we can all learn alot from each other in addition to what we learn from our BBOTL's (Big Brothers Of The Leaf)
Sugar is your friend for vitamin n od. Keep some mexican coke (real sugar) on hand.

·
I'm totally serious, dude
1,367 Posts
I've pulled that move before. Throw in too much sun and it's a nasty feeling.

How about this one? Not so much a newb mistake, as a drunk mistake. I've put my cigar down, picked it up and popped the wrong end in my mouth. Nasty burn; horrible taste; and waste of a good cigar (not much interest in finishing it).

·
www. ********* .com
2,061 Posts
I've pulled that move before. Throw in too much sun and it's a nasty feeling.

How about this one? Not so much a newb mistake, as a drunk mistake. I've put my cigar down, picked it up and popped the wrong end in my mouth. Nasty burn; horrible taste; and waste of a good cigar (not much interest in finishing it).
Been there.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sugar is your friend for vitamin n od. Keep some mexican coke (real sugar) on hand.
Mexican Coca-cola (thought Id clarify which coke you meant :razz:) might be the ticket. You know us ATL guys and our Coca-cola! Have to head to Buford Highway to stock up.

·
Disinterested
10,299 Posts
What a great idea, Isaac!

32yrs into the sport, but I can still recall a few noob mistakes. Number one has to be smoking too fast. I did it to the first several cigars I smoked. One day, a seasoned FOG took me aside and chastised me. He taught be that I should only draw one puff series per minute. He taught me to grasp the cigar a half inch behind the burn line and, if it was uncomfortably hot, I was smoking too fast. It was like a brand new mouse trap!

"Slow down, you'll get a more harmonious outcome" -Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I cross quoted this from the General Threads....

Sadly, I've made this mistake myself.

A mistake that I have not made, but have read someone else did, was putting a half smoked cigar in their humidor.
Good lesson....bet the rest of the sticks tasted like soggy ash after that!

·
Resident Oliva Whore
1,403 Posts
This is a great thread, RG for you Sir!

Subscribed to this for two reasons...
1 - to help prevent some from making the same mistakes that I did...
2 - to laugh at those that made the same mistakes that I did!

Suggestion...
If you ever smoke outside in the dark, while consuming large amounts of Crown Royal,
don't forget to take the band off your cigar...
Ever wonder if the wrapper really affects flavor? Try smoking the band!

·
Registered
279 Posts
last night I singed my left eyelashes while relighting one of my cigars.....................don't let the flame get too close to you.

·
Puffer. Patriot.
1,545 Posts
Smoking too fast leads to burn problems, and can make the stick taste weird. Since it's pretty cold outside, i have a greater tendency to puff faster.

Sometimes I still have to consciously pause, let the stick settle for a bit (30-60 seconds), then puff again. I even find some sticks like to be puffed at different rates. The flavor of the cigar will sometimes change, and burn problems i'm having will resolve themselves, too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My noob mistakes were:

-Buying a couple small humidors instead of going with a tupperdor at first
-Assuming the analog hygromter on my cheap humidors were accurate instead of buying a digital hygrometer and calibrating. One was 3-5% off, but the other anaolog was 15% off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have just recently experinced the noob mistake of adding a half smoked stick to a huimdor. My room mate threw his stick into my humidor with out my knowledge. I cracked that bad boy open the next day and about lost it. Its taken me a long time to shake the smell. AND if this happens to you, air out your sticks for a short period of time and then rehydrate them. NOT too long airing out though, you don't want them to go completely dry. After that, just buckle down and finish your sticks, after you have smoked what was affected, the smell will eventually go away.

·
I'm totally serious, dude
1,367 Posts
last night I singed my left eyelashes while relighting one of my cigars.....................don't let the flame get too close to you.
Ooooh the dreaded flamethrower relight. A few puffs will really get it going. I've scrared the crap outa myself before. It'll singe a notch in your Dutchboy haircut. (Taylor Swift bangs for you youngsters.)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Saw a Noob B&M ettiquite fail....

Lesson number one when in a cigar retail store...NEVER try to walk into the humidor with a lit stick!!! Luckily the owner stopped him just as he opened the door.

(To my fellow noobs...it took me a day or so to realize that "B&M stands for brick and mortar....fyi)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Saw a Noob B&M ettiquite fail....

Lesson number one when in a cigar retail store...NEVER try to walk into the humidor with a lit stick!!! Luckily the owner stopped him just as he opened the door.

(To my fellow noobs...it took me a day or so to realize that "B&M stands for brick and mortar....fyi)
Never would have thought about the lit cigar\humidor thing. Yeah , it also took me a few days with the B&M definition.

·
The G.O.A.T.
1,200 Posts
:eek:mg:

My noob errors:

Smoking too fast: ruins the flavor. I learned to take my time and enjoy the process.

Buying too much too soon: I learned that in the beginning your palate changes. But one then maybe a five pack then maybe a box. Space is premium.

Flaming purges arent for me: It makes all cigars taste the same to me afterwards and the flames depending on the ammonia level in the cigar can be HUGE!

Those are the ones that stick out. To everyone new to this hobby. Take your time buying boxes or bundles.

Great Idea for a thread!

Edit: I learned not to put cigars under my nose while in a B&M. It's improper and just disgusting, but I did it because I saw it on TV..

1 - 20 of 626 Posts