Cigar Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I am relatively new to cigar smoking. I used to smoke a few here and there but now I am actually buying high end cigars and I now own a humidor. The plastic bag with a damp sponge wasn't cutting it.

I have been looking at a few cigars that I want to try out.
Montecristo White
Romeo y Julieta Reserve Real
Pryme LE Gold
Macanudo Robust

I have been seeing a lot of conflicting information about the strength of these cigars. Most people seem to lean in the direction of mild yet every now and again I see a few people call them Medium-Full. I am looking for something in the mild-medium range.

Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Shags homely sheep
5,059 Posts
JDO said:
Hey everyone,
I am relatively new to cigar smoking. I used to smoke a few here and there but now I am actually buying high end cigars and I now own a humidor. The plastic bag with a damp sponge wasn't cutting it.

I have been looking at a few cigars that I want to try out.
Montecristo White
Pryme LE Gold
Macanudo Robust

I have been seeing a lot of conflicting information about the strength of these cigars. Most people seem to lean in the direction of mild yet every now and again I see a few people call them Medium-Full. I am looking for something in the mild-medium range.

Thanks for the help in advance.
I would think the first two are mild, third don't know and the last would be medium. The only way to tell for sure is to buy one or two and try them out before getting the whole box. Top25cigar.com is a great place to check them out. You might get lucky enough to find the same person has rated all four of them.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I would highly recommend going to your local tobacco shop and try them out and see how you like them. While you are there start talking to the people working there and the people sitting around smoking cigars. You will find out a wide variety of cigars that you might like.

-Nathan

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
not trying to be cryptic or rude here, but you really need to try them yourself. My mild might be kicka$$ to someone else, and vice versa.

One of the gorillas had good advice a while back... find a couple you like and find out who else on the board likes these smokes, from there, you can get an idea from the experienced smokers which ones are more in your flavor profile... I think it was kamikaguy who said that...

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
galaga said:
I would think the first two are mild, third don't know and the last would be medium. The only way to tell for sure is to buy one or two and try them out before getting the whole box. Top25cigar.com is a great place to check them out. You might get lucky enough to find the same person has rated all four of them.
Top25Cigar was how I found this forum.
Thanks for the suggestions guys.
There is a glut of shops in my area, one is only 5 minutes from my house, so I will be checking them out ASAP.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
JDO said:
Top25Cigar was how I found this forum.
Thanks for the suggestions guys.
There is a glut of shops in my area, one is only 5 minutes from my house, so I will be checking them out ASAP.
That must be nice!! Welcome to Club Stogie.

·
Can walk again.
8,205 Posts
JDO said:
Montecristo White
Macanudo Robust
Welcome to CS. I love these three. Very flavorful and yes, the first 2 are mild and the Mac is med. Never had a Pryme.

Remember what Mama said, "you better shop around!" :D
Check the retailer section. 4 monte whites for $20, not too bad.

:ms NCRM

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NCRadioMan said:
Welcome to CS. I love these three. Very flavorful and yes, the first 2 are mild and the Mac is med. Never had a Pryme.

Remember what Mama said, "you better shop around!" :D
Check the retailer section. 4 monte whites for $20, not too bad.

:ms NCRM
Sounds good to me. 4 Montecristos for 20 bucks. Sounds even better. I am a fan of the regular Macanudos, so maybe I will try out a Gold Label. Thanks for the welcome everyone.

·
Registered
506 Posts
just go to your local cigar retailer(no not a liquor store around the corner and actual high end tabocco shop) and jsut ask somebody, they just love pushing their favioret stogies on you. but there's nothing wrong with a lite cigar. i've smoked some super duper tasty cigars adn they were pretty lite. just try new things, thats the best way to develope your palet. every time you go to buy cigars just pick up a couple sticks that you've never tried before, and if you like em save the band so you remember next time. well good luck smokin:)

G

·
DonJefe said:
That must be nice!! Welcome to Club Stogie.
Agreed, DonJefe. I have to drive 30 minutes to nearest true cigar shop. Lots of "tobacco shops", few cigar shops.

Welcome to the Jungle, JDO. Find a shop where the owner or clerk is standing thee, smoking a good looking cigar, and ask away. If they are worth trading with, they will treat your questions seriously, and not try to put you off, or hard sell you. If you don't get the feeling they know their own way around cigars, drive that extra 20 minutes to find a good shop.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Hi JDO, and welcome to CS. As the gents keep stating, try 'em. Read the reviews here, on top25cigar.com, and whereever you can find them, but it'll still be subjective. IMHO, our tastes change over time and what was once a powerhouse full-body becomes a mild or medium. Some folks always prefer a strong stick or a mild stick, while for me my craving changes with my mood and surroundings. For me there are times for the creamy and mild and others for the double maddie DC brain buster.

Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I went to my local Cigar shop the other day and picked up a Montecristo White, RyJ Reserva Real, and a Macanudo Gold. I am letting them rest for a while but I can't wait to try them.

I am really looking forward to the Monte White based on what everyone has said about them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.