Cigar Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
X Canadian
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you other members pissed that there is not going to be an NHL season? If you are a hockey fan I'd like to hear what your opinion is of the current state of the NHL/NHLPA non agreement. If you are an NHL fan check out the following websites for more insight into the situation.

www.nhl.com

www.nhlpa.com

I think that the owners have a valid position in that the league cannot continue to pay the kinds of salaries and remain viable. I also think that over expansion had diluted the quality of player and that some of the locations of expansion are questionable. The league needs a salary cap, luxury tax and revenue sharing. :c

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
(909) said:
I think that the owners have a valid position in that the league cannot continue to pay the kinds of salaries and remain viable. I also think that over expansion had diluted the quality of player and that some of the locations of expansion are questionable. The league needs a salary cap, luxury tax and revenue sharing. :c
BINGO!

·
Registered
756 Posts
i'm pissed that's for sure. definitely gonna miss my hockey. that's hard considering it's the only sport that i really, really like.
the only good thing to come out of this is that i will save a TON of money, and i can use that with a wedding coming up. but i don't think that's a fair trade off.
jimmy

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
(909) said:
Any of you other members pissed that there is not going to be an NHL season? If you are a hockey fan I'd like to hear what your opinion is of the current state of the NHL/NHLPA non agreement. If you are an NHL fan check out the following websites for more insight into the situation.

www.nhl.com

www.nhlpa.com

I love the NHL, but I can't feel sorry for either side. I feel sorry for the little guy who sells concessions, owns a restaurant, or owns a sporting good store that depends on the NHL to have games to make a buck.

With that said, I have heard from a very reputable source of mine, that Avalanche GM Pierre Lacroix has taken off to Las Vegas for 4 months. No need for him to be in Denver with nothing to do. I think this speaks of how long the lockout will last.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wetterhorn said:
With that said, I have heard from a very reputable source of mine, that Avalanche GM Pierre Lacroix has taken off to Las Vegas for 4 months. No need for him to be in Denver with nothing to do. I think this speaks of how long the lockout will last.
The worst I have heard is no hockey till 2012 (of course no one knows for sure but both are ready for the long haul)

·
Chimpus herfustus
745 Posts
Wow, I just found this thread. Already buried deep in the archives. Just like the NHL will be after this is all over I'm afraid. :mad: I am an avid Sharks fan and hate to see the league go this direction. I understand both side's arguements but have to place the bulk of responsibility on the players. They want more money than there is to go around. There isn't enough income to warrant this type of pay. People in the US don't grow up playing hockey (in general). Most of my friends don't "get it." The TV market is not good and there is no real history of the sport to bring it back after this whole thing is settled. Most people don't care. There's baseball playoffs, football starting, and soon, basketball. I hope hockey doesn't slip off the face of american sports scene altogether. I'm just glad I have a local semi-pro hockey team I can watch where the players play for the game. Plus they fight a lot. ;) RIP NHL.

SB

·
Registered
368 Posts
Wetterhorn said:
I love the NHL, but I can't feel sorry for either side. I feel sorry for the little guy who sells concessions, owns a restaurant, or owns a sporting good store that depends on the NHL to have games to make a buck.

Well said.

Being a life-long (for the most part) Metro Detroiter, not only have I always been a huge Wings fan, but a major fan of the sport as well. This includes the years when Detroit hockey was absolutey horrible, too. But it was and still is hockey, one of the best "spectator" sports in the world. And that's one of the problems. Hockey has never translated well to television. It will never come close to the other majors, numbers-wise, and that's too bad. It really is a wonderful sport, but as everybody knows, lacks national appeal. Hell, even a bunch of my die-hard buddies admit that they won't miss it until Lord Football retires for the off-season.

And you're dead-on about the little guy. There are constant stories in the Detroit papers about the real people who'll really be hurting financially because of the greedy bastards who are ruining the sport. :c I could go on and on, but the *ssholes better figure out quick that for the most part, it's a niche sport, for niche markets. The majority of the country doesn't give a sh*t about hockey. The owners may be losing a ton of money, but guess what? They're losing even less by locking them out. So you think they're gonna budge? Hell no. :c Aw sh*t, there goes my blood pressure. I'm gonna go punch a wall. It's the hockey player in me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
jimmy said:
i'm pissed that's for sure. definitely gonna miss my hockey. that's hard considering it's the only sport that i really, really like.
the only good thing to come out of this is that i will save a TON of money, and i can use that with a wedding coming up. but i don't think that's a fair trade off.
jimmy
I completely agree with you Jimmy! Hockey is the only sport I like as well and I am so pissed at the thought there may be no 04-05 season.

I also think there should be a cap. I think the NHLPA needs to look at things a little closer and concider the fans that are the ones being hurt the most.

Go Ducks!!!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
SilvrBck said:
Wow, I just found this thread. Already buried deep in the archives. Just like the NHL will be after this is all over I'm afraid. :mad: I am an avid Sharks fan and hate to see the league go this direction. I understand both side's arguements but have to place the bulk of responsibility on the players. They want more money than there is to go around. There isn't enough income to warrant this type of pay. People in the US don't grow up playing hockey (in general). Most of my friends don't "get it." The TV market is not good and there is no real history of the sport to bring it back after this whole thing is settled. Most people don't care. There's baseball playoffs, football starting, and soon, basketball. I hope hockey doesn't slip off the face of american sports scene altogether. I'm just glad I have a local semi-pro hockey team I can watch where the players play for the game. Plus they fight a lot. ;) RIP NHL.

SB
Thankfully, my town has a Central Hockey League town that I can enjoy! Also there is good college hockey just down the road (Colorado College and the University of Denver - I hate the Pioneers, but they are the defending National champs).

·
X Canadian
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like to see the passion you guys have for the game and it looks like we are all in the same boat. I'm hoping that the papers like the one in Detroit and the sports media doesn't forget about the game and continues to put out the opinions of the fans. The hockey fan base seems to be of like minds when it comes to player salaries and the current situation of the league. We all agree that although the players did not take the league in this direction that the players are none the less overpaid. Gary Bettman and the owners are responsible for initially overpaying a few players (Sakic, Kariya, Federov) which created a situation that every 30+ scorer thought that he deserved to be a millionaire. The players and the owners need to realize that they are all responsible for the state of the league and work together to fix it. Unfortunately it will probably happen once half of the owners are bankrupt, the players are losing their houses and cars and the fans are completely disgusted.

As for local hockey in So Cal, we have the Ice Dogs in Long Beach and I'll be at a few games this year. It's like methadone for a heroin addict.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
(909) said:
As for local hockey in So Cal, we have the Ice Dogs in Long Beach and I'll be at a few games this year. It's like methadone for a heroin addict.
That is too funny!!!!! :r

It would be funnier, but I am in the same treatment! :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
This is a necessary pain, player salaries have to be curbed to save the game . Average player makes 1.5 mill a year , it's nuts.Only 8 teams broke even or made money last year. 5 teams are on the verge of bancruptcy. Something had to be done.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
This really sucks! I finally live somewhere in the past 8 years where I can watch more than once a month or so and this happens. Oh well more time for the Isles to develope their young talent and for the Rag skirts to get older.

T

·
Registered
672 Posts
OK! Now I get it! This is why the swedish NHL-players is coming back to Sweden to play (Peter Forsberg and others!). I was a bit confused about this. :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
I agree glove, too many teams. In places were they don't give a damn about hockey. So many teams now the talent is watered down. They could drop five or six teams and wouldn't bother me a bit.

·
Registered
239 Posts
i don't know about hockey but minor league players seem to play with more zest for the game than major leaguers,imo. maybe the same is true with hockey? no big payrolls or egos to interfere with the true passion for the sport. i say try a minor league hockey game.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Interesting to see how passionate all this hockey talk is. That's kind of like hockey itself. Those that discover it love it, but not enough people have discovered it. Basically it's a working mans sport but the high salaries have priced the working man away from the rink.

I put the blame squarely on the shoulders of Gary Bettman for expansion, and the big market owners for setting the standards on salaries too high. There were a few teams that could afford it but everyone else had to keep up or be left without any fans because they don't have players worth watching.

Now both sides have taken thier eye off the puck. Thier fighting over who gets the biggest piece of pie, but they haven't realized that the fan's can't afford pie any more.

As for a fix. Start with realizing that Hockey will never be a big 4 sport. Then contract and get back to traditional hockey markets. Smaller is better since the TV dollars will never be there for this sport. Then have a flexible cap with penalty dispersements to week teams for those that exceed the cap. Then find a formula for revenue sharing amungst the players so they can still make big bucks if the team does well enough to support it. Lastly they have to get rid of the trap and instigator rule. The trap may dissappear with contraction since the talent level will be better. If you let the players fight again without the instigator rule, it'll take away a lot of the stick work and dirty play's so the game will be better to watch.

Jorgy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.