Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only one other contest contest......

Currently looks like there is only only one other contest. How can we have no contest? So here is a contest for those who exclaim "What, no contest?"

Winner will recieve a fabulous prize. Cigars. They might even be smokable. There might even be more than one. You just never know....

1. What sport was invented in Nova Scotia.

2. What sport was invented by a Canadian while he was working in Mass.?

3. What sport was first played in Canada between the Beachville Club and the Zorras. What year was that? What year was that game supposedly invented in the US?

4. Who is my favorite Nova Scotian rock band?

5. What up and coming Cape Breton musician did I miss seeing at the Parish Center near this joint (http://www.motherwebbs.com/menu2.html) last time I was up there? Hint: He won a Juno that year.

6. What product was advertised with the line "You ever been to sea, Billy?"

7. What is my favorite bar in Halifax Nova Scotia?

8. What beer do I drink when I visit Halifax?

And that, folks, is all! A bit of google work and a fabulous prize can be yours!

SeanGAR

·
Registered
212 Posts
SeanGAR said:
Currently looks like there is no contest. How can we have no contest? So here is a contest for those who exclaim "What, no contest?"

Winner will recieve a fabulous prize. Cigars. They might even be smokable. There might even be more than one. You just never know....

1. What sport was invented in Nova Scotia. hockey

2. What sport was invented by a Canadian while he was working in Mass.? basketball

3. What sport was first played in Canada between the Beachville Club and the Zorras. What year was that? What year was that game supposedly invented in the US? baseball; 1838; 1845

4. Who is my favorite Nova Scotian rock band? Sandbox

5. What up and coming Cape Breton musician did I miss seeing at the Parish Center near this joint (http://www.motherwebbs.com/menu2.html) last time I was up there? Hint: He won a Juno that year. Paul Brant

6. What product was advertised with the line "You ever been to sea, Billy?" Captain Highliner

7. What is my favorite bar in Halifax Nova Scotia? Duncan's

8. What beer do I drink when I visit Halifax? John Shippey's Left Coast IPA

And that, folks, is all! A bit of google work and a fabulous prize can be yours!

SeanGAR
Some of those I hope are right haha.

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice job. Numbers 4, 5, 7 and 8 are incorrect, 1, 2, 3 and 6 are correct (close enough for me, anyhow).

You know, I haven't had Shipleys although I have heard of it of course. My beer of choice when I'm there is something more mainstream ... well mainstream for NS anyhow.

One guess per day or after each of my posts (i.e., you can guess again!)/
SeanGAR

·
The Cheese stands alone
2,749 Posts
1. hockey
2. basketball
3. baseball on June 4, 1838 first played in the US in 1839
4. Kilt. Thats just a guess
5. Natalie MacMaster
6. Captain Higliner frozen fish
7. Rogue's Roost
8. Rogues Roost Bulldog Brown Ale

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
SeanGAR said:
Currently looks like there is no contest. How can we have no contest? So here is a contest for those who exclaim "What, no contest?"

3. What sport was first played in Canada between the Beachville Club and the Zorras. What year was that? What year was that game supposedly invented in the US?

4. Who is my favorite Nova Scotian rock band?

5. What up and coming Cape Breton musician did I miss seeing at the Parish Center near this joint (http://www.motherwebbs.com/menu2.html) last time I was up there? Hint: He won a Juno that year.

7. What is my favorite bar in Halifax Nova Scotia?

8. What beer do I drink when I visit Halifax?

SeanGAR
Okay, I will give this a shot!

1) In Windsor, Nova Scotia, ice hockey was born (or at least found! :D )

2) Basketball

3) Baseball. 1838. 1845.

4) Wild guess here - Human :confused:

5) Another wild guess - Gordie Sampson

6) Captain Highliner Frozen Seafood

7) Whoa! Even wilder guess - Rogue's Roost

8) Well, if you are at the Rogue's Roost I would say you would drink Rogue's Red.

Am I close.... :)

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Commander Quan said:
1. hockey
2. basketball
4. Kilt. Thats just a guess
5. Natalie MacMaster
7. Rogue's Roost
8. Rogues Roost Bulldog Brown Ale
Rogue's roost ....... I stopped in the roost last time I was there, for a quick sampling of their products, on my way just up Spring Garden across the street to my favorite bar. I'm sure their brown ale is good, but thats not my drink of choice in NS.

Oh, my favorite band has been around forever. You'd probably more correctly describe them as Cape Breton rather than Nova Scotian. Natalie is a great guess....but not right.

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wetterhorn said:
Okay, I will give this a shot!

4) Wild guess here - Human :confused:

5) Another wild guess - Gordie Sampson

7) Whoa! Even wilder guess - Rogue's Roost

8) Well, if you are at the Rogue's Roost I would say you would drink Rogue's Red.
Am I close.... :)
Remember folks, I haven't lived in NS for 14 years. I don't even know who Human or Gordie Sampson are. I have had Rogues's red...and it isn't my favorite. That place is a bit too .... er...clean for my taste. I like more the style of ...say... the Split Crow .. more of a dive than the Roost, although not as bad as the Lighthouse Tavern.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
SeanGAR said:
Remember folks, I haven't lived in NS for 14 years. I don't even know who Human or Gordie Sampson are. I have had Rogues's red...and it isn't my favorite. That place is a bit too .... er...clean for my taste. I like more the style of ...say... the Split Crow .. more of a dive than the Roost, although not as bad as the Lighthouse Tavern.
In regards to the beer, there is a beer that is advertised on hockey games coming out of Canada (alas, haven't seen one of those this year!) that is out of Nova Scotia. An old sailor type reams out a guy sitting with a young woman at a bar telling him the virtues of the beer. For the life of me, I can't recall what it is - but I betcha that is the beer you drink!

Am I right?

:D

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wetterhorn said:
In regards to the beer, there is a beer that is advertised on hockey games coming out of Canada (alas, haven't seen one of those this year!) that is out of Nova Scotia. An old sailor type reams out a guy sitting with a young woman at a bar telling him the virtues of the beer. For the life of me, I can't recall what it is - but I betcha that is the beer you drink!

Am I right?

:D
Crikey.....I don't know that ad. Due to laws in effect when I lived there, Molson and Labatts were considered "imported" beer and more expensive than the "big three". Today, I think that the big Central Canadian brewers own the smaller regional (i.e., NS) brewers, including the one that makes my stuff.

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MrINMENSO said:
4. Superchunk
5. The Rankins
7. Lower Deck
8. Alexander Keith's IPA

Maybe, maybe not???
Now, we're getting kinda close here. The Rankins aren't bad, rock they ain't, but they're not bad. Keith's is my SECOND choice when I drink (and my brother's first choice). The Lower Deck is a bit of a dive, just the kinda place I like, but I lived closer to my favorite joint which is on Spring Garden. The Historic Properties and Lower Deck is too much of a hoof unless I'm on a tear down there at Peddlers, the Split Crow, the Lower Deck, etc.

"I don't drink CANADIAN!"

·
formerly Jokieman
987 Posts

Beer Drinking.

Moose Wrastling.

I dunno, I hung out too long with my Nova Scotia friends and I'm drunk.

Ohh I know this!!! The Movie AIRPLANE!!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
1. hockey
2. basketball
4. Sloan
5. Aselin Debison????
7. Peel pub or My father's moustache?
8. Moosehead

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Butch said:
1. hockey
2. basketball
4. Sloan
5. Aselin Debison????
7. Peel pub or My father's moustache?
8. Moosehead
YES
YES
YES
NO
NO (he is famous for his kilt flipping up, giving an extra bit of a show on Conan, made Rolling Stone, it did)
YES
No, but same side of the street, a block or so down from MFM
Not Keiths, not Moosehead

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
MrINMENSO said:
8. Alexander Keith's IPA

Maybe, maybe not???
Alexander Keith's IPA - That's what I was thinking of! Don't mind me, just incoherent ramblings.... :confused:

·
Registered
212 Posts
SeanGAR said:
YES
YES
YES
NO BRENDA STUBBERT
NO (he is famous for his kilt flipping up, giving an extra bit of a show on Conan, made Rolling Stone, it did) ALAN CUMMING
YES
No, but same side of the street, a block or so down from MFM Thirsty Duck
Not Keiths, not Moosehead OLAND
Answers in caps. Any closer?:)

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
MrINMENSO said:
The Conan individual was Ashley MacIssac
Your favorite band wouldn't happen to be Buddy and the Boys, would it?

Call me Mr. Determined today :D
Yea , that was Ashley. I almost went to see him, instead I decided to visit some friends at the Tavern.

All that is left is my favorite band.....which isn't Buddy and the Boys. BATB were rather short lived as a band but I love their song "Workin' at the Woolco, Management Trainee Blues". Woolco is kinda like KMart.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.