Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Anhedonic misanthrope
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tuesday, January 28, 1986, Space Shuttle Challenger blew up shortly after take-off. I still have vivid memories of this tragedy. I was in second day of police academy.

Where were you?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
National Library of Medicine, Bethesda, Maryland. I still remember "Challenger go at throttle up..." .

Kind of a bummer topic, mano.

S.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Heading to an early lunch conference at work. The rest of the day was just glum.

·
Bacon Lover
808 Posts
Wow, has it been taht long!!

I was over my buddies house down the road. Was in 6th grade at the time and it was a snow day here in NJ.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I was at work at NAS Moffett Field. We were watching it on the TV we had in our shop. Everyone was stunned. The only TV broadcast more seared in my memory is 9/11.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I was in 3rd grade! Damn! that was long ass time ago!

·
Skeeter's Confidant
7,197 Posts
I was still in the Corps. If I remember right I was in the chow hall having lunch with some fellow Marines. I hadn't realized that it had been that long. Solemn moment.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I was a senior in HS in NJ - I remember TVs in the lounge and anouncement over the PA system. Sad day, but it was also one of those times (like 9/11) when everyone in the country simultaneously seemed to focus on what counts in the world. I remember a kind of dazed feeling, and everyone being extraordinarily kind to each other for a day or two.

Tragedy seems to have the odd side effect of bringing people together in a way few other things can. Strage world, this is.

·
Registered
681 Posts
9th Grade--Walton Jr High--Watched it live and then reviewed the tape in a hand full of other classes throughout the day.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I was in 6th. grade. I was in school and watching it on television. They let us go home th rest of the day. We were all proud of Krista McCaulaugh (sp?). My teacher Sister Anselm started to cry and we all prayed together for them.

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,591 Posts
Hmmm...if I had to guess, I would say I was playing with blocks while listening to either a Raffi or Reagan for Rugrats tape. Man I miss that tape

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I was in Germany........don't remember much more then that. Other then how sad it was.

Nice to see you Wacco.

·
-
11,412 Posts
Wacco said:
Tuesday, January 28, 1986, Space Shuttle Challenger blew up shortly after take-off. I still have vivid memories of this tragedy. I was in second day of police academy.

Where were you?
i was at home, acting sick from school, watching it blow up live on TV.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Just for everyone here, I know Wacco from another cigar board. He is a great guy. And the fact that he was the only one to post something about such a tragedy speaks volumes about him. Since nobody even remembered....I know I didn't. Actually when I logged into CS tonight after work I saw all the damn threads in "Everything but" and this was the only new thread that was even worth looking at.

I guess what I'm trying to say is.....if in another 15 yrs someone posts about 9/11 I would like to think that we could look back and remember that tragedy with out considering it a bummer topic and use it to remember the lives lost and take a moment to think about how it changed or effected us differently.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I was at work. Went into our locker room and cried like a baby. The thing that struck me was how commonplace the launchs had become. The only news agency covering at the time was CNN.In retrospect the really sad thing to me was that the launch was green lighted with full knowledge that potential problems existed and that launch conditions were less than favorable,and that NASA higher ups ignored memos concerning possible seal failures.I also remember Reagan's eulogy, admittedly borrowed from St Exupery, but delivered so elequently.The president at his best.Still gives me a lump in my throat when I see that bit of film. Frank B

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.