Cigar Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lakes Vice Mayor Sues Citizen Over Seemingly Racist Remarks

Nick Perdomo thinks it's someone else's fault folks noticed when he called Liberty City residents "animals" on the public record

By JANIE CAMPBELL

Updated 11:15 AM EDT, Mon, Jul 26, 2010

The political scene in Miami Lakes has long been heated -- the Mayor's office was purposefully set on fire last year, so pun totally intended -- but Vice Mayor Nick Perdomo is taking nasty to the smoking section.

Perdomo is suing former Civic Association president Angela Garrison for, when asked by local news, having expressed her displeasure with seemingly racist and sexist remarks he made at a City Commission meeting.

"I think we need to show a little more class than that," she opined on camera.

And she was right. It was in September that Perdomo told town manager Frank Bocanegra, a former Miami-Dade police officer who worked the Liberty City race riots in the '80s, that he needed to lose one of his assistants.

"Frank I know you're going to be fine, too," Perdomo said at the public meeting. "I mean, you were in Liberty City fighting the animals over there when you were younger, okay? You're going to be fine, and we're going to save the town's folks $50,000 a year."

As if referring to Liberty City residents as "animals" wasn't enough, Perdomo then offered to loan Bocanegra "one of my hot girls from Nicaragua to come and assist you."

Perdomo's comments caused a small furor in Miami Lakes, and reporter Roger Lohse went to Garrison after the meeting for comment. She followed up her call for class by pointing out that "the employees that [he] was degrading were sitting right in the audience."

And shortly after that: lawsuit.

"[I felt] shock [when served]," she said. "I thought I had a right to speak publicly and give an opinion and I lived in the United States of America.
"People to have a right to discuss his decisions and the way he conducts himself on the dais."

But Perdomo, who owns a cigar manufacturing company in Miami Lakes, claims in his suit that Garrison's comments are part of a "personal vendetta" and amount to libel and slander. He says some customers have stopped buying his cigars because they believe he is a racist.

I don't have enough post to put up the link so google "Angela Garrison WPLG" and that will take you to the story.

· Disinterested
11,124 Posts
Not sure I get it. Are you boycotting Perdomo for making a tasteless remark about "hot girls"? Because he filed an admittedly frivolous law suit that will surely never see the inside of courtroom? Or, because he referred to rioters and looters as "animals"?

I'd consider it, since it's an insult to animals everywhere.

· Munkee fish
618 Posts
I read your whole post and I have no idea what you are talking about. A pretty involved rant for your 2nd ever post don't you think?
Anyway- we'd love to get to know you. Head to the New Puffer forum and introduce yourself....... :welcome:

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure I get it. Are you boycotting Perdomo for making a tasteless remark about "hot girls"? Because he filed an admittedly frivolous law suit that will surely never see the inside of courtroom? Or, because he referred to rioters and looters as "animals"?

I'd consider it, since it's an insult to animals everywhere.
I'm boycotting because of the suit.

Apparently she has had to spend some $20,000 so far to defend herself.

· Puffin' Colt
988 Posts
I had no idea he was a politician...He has posted on this forum a couple times...

**Strokes invisible beard...interesting.......

· Retired Cigar Whore
2,715 Posts
Hey, where did you get your invisible beard?

I have only smoked a couple of Perdomo's. A lot 23 maybe twice. I think that's all. Don't care for them all that much. Now I see why. hahahahaa

· Registered
405 Posts
I had no idea he was a politician...He has posted on this forum a couple times...

**Strokes invisible beard...interesting.......
I had no idea either, and I live in Miami. In my defense, Miami Lakes is hardly near where I work or live.

Meh, I don't really smoke his cigars anyways. Both parties are ridiculous at this point.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had no idea either, and I live in Miami. In my defense, Miami Lakes is hardly near where I work or live.

Meh, I don't really smoke his cigars anyways. Both parties are ridiculous at this point.
Why would you say she is being ridiculous? She went to a city council meeting and was interviewed afterwards and made these comments -

"I think we need to show a little more class than that. The employees he was referring to were sitting right in the audience."

That's it, that's the comment she made that the news is reporting she is getting sued over. She commented in an interview on a remark by a politician and now is getting hammered.

Her legal bills are supposedly about $20,000 so far.

· Hand me a Bolivar
8,792 Posts
Why would you say she is being ridiculous? She went to a city council meeting and was interviewed afterwards and made these comments -

"I think we need to show a little more class than that. The employees he was referring to were sitting right in the audience."

That's it, that's the comment she made that the news is reporting she is getting sued over. She commented in an interview on a remark by a politician and now is getting hammered.

Her legal bills are supposedly about $20,000 so far.
Bro, are you her attorney or something? Are you trying to get others to boycott Perdomo over your beliefs?

· Puffin' Colt
988 Posts
Hey, where did you get your invisible beard?

I have only smoked a couple of Perdomo's. A lot 23 maybe twice. I think that's all. Don't care for them all that much. Now I see why. hahahahaa
eBay!! in the special "invisible section" haha :spy:

· I was Level 2!!!
900 Posts
Bro, are you her attorney or something? Are you trying to get others to boycott Perdomo over your beliefs?
Seriously, what are you tryin to prove with this post?? That Nick is a racist and a chauvinist?? Honestly, i couldn't give 2 sheets either way!!! I enjoy his cigars and will continue to enjoy them...honestly, I dont really see anything wrong with what he said...he shouldnt be suing that woman, but whatever!!! These kinds of petty lawsuits fly around all the time over some stupid little political BS!!! Keep your political views outta PUFF please, we don't wanna hear about em!!!
Goto the puffer fish forum and introduce urself , then we can discuss cigars!!!

· The Other Doctor
972 Posts
This article points to an insulting display of hypocrisy. If the courtrooms simply had better ventilation then smoking would not be an issue.

· Banned
18,523 Posts
Joe...are you not getting a sense of what the brothers are trying to tell you...at least twice? Coming on here to rant about a situation reported by the media ( we all know how sacrosanct this institution is in reporting the truth) is like coming on here and telling us how bad your MIL is or the argument you got into with your G/F. We don't know you from Adam and once you introduce who you are and become part of this place you don't have too much credibility...and you could quite possibly be one of our best members for the future but at least give yourself some room to come in without bashing somebody right out of the gate. I like some of the Perdomo brands and just because there is a story out there in the media doesn't mean I give any credibillity to it...maybe when Perdomo drives up in my driveway and knocks on my door and explains what this is all about I might be interested...but without solid proof and his side of the story I think my times is more important. Read some of the stickys on here....learn about this place..take a chill pill and light up a Perdomo Lot 23 Maduro Churchill...that should relax you.

· Registered
600 Posts
How anyone could be convinced to boycott a product based on such a terribly written article by some hack local sports writer that does AP cut-up articles for a TV affiliate website is beyond me.

If you're that gullible, it's amazing that you even have a computer, that you aren't in some bunker on the side of a mountain in the middle of nowhere, only entering town to pick up packages and supplies.

· Registered
384 Posts
Well, I found another Miami Herald article from Oct 2009, interesting tid bits on the 2nd page of the article about Angela Garrison... seems she has been "up in it" so to speak, long before this recent article...
Seems there is much more to these simple articles and blurbs than meets the eye.
http://www.miamiherald.com/2009/10/23/1297624_p2/arson-puts-focus-on-miami-lakes.html

Since I live near here, and work about 8 blocks from the factory, I will just have to ask him myself next time I stop by, what all the shennanigans are about. If I get an answer, I'll let ya'll know.
Until then... I so don't give a hoot.

· Registered
2,330 Posts
Gee, I learn something new every day.

Sounds quite crazy, if you ask me.

As for his cigars, I am neutral. Neither really like them nor dislike them. It's just another brand to me-- nothing special.

The slow-aged 826 Churchill is a good "sit down and have a cup of coffee" cigar, though.
They pair EXTREMELY well.

· Registered
10,014 Posts
I'm closing this one up and moving it....somewhere other than in Cigar Discussions.

Borderline politics and in my opinion, really not a topic that needs to be discussed here.

Of course you're welcome to pm me (now that I can find them :)), if you disagree with my closing it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.