Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this site. Just started smokin Stogies a month ago after a friend gave me a Cigar out of his Humidor while we were playing Poker. I lit it up and was suprised at how good it was. It turned out to be a Monte Cristo White Churchill. Well that led me to trying a few different brands. All these years I thought that a Swisher Sweet or a Garcia Vega were what Smoking was all about. So far Ive tried the Monte White the El Rey Del Mundo Robusto and a Hemingway Signature and Shorty. Loved them all with the Hemingways being my favorite (Short Stories a tough find) any other suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Welcome aboard! If you like the Hemingway's, you should really try the A. Fuente Don Carlos line and pick up a few different Padron's as well.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
:D Welcome Bro! :D

this list can go on forever, but ill keep it to my fav under $10

Anything from the Padron X000 line
La Gloria Cubana Serie R #5
Cuesta Rey Sun Grown #7
JDN Anato (smallest size)
Fuente Don Carlos #4
Padron 1964 Anniversary Principe
HDM Excalibur Stearling
Padron Fumas
FDO corojo
FDO maddie
Onyx Reserve

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
Welcome! Iamveryfondofbananacreampie! :mad:

Phew! I don't really know where to begin. There are so many good ones.

Montes that are good IMHO:
Monte Serie V & VI
Monte Afrique
Monte Platinum
Monte White
Monte Peruvian
Cuban Montes (of course)

Also, oodles of good cigars out there.

Anything (almost) from Villazon......HDM, Excalibur 1066, ERDM, etc.

Camacho Corojo
Fonseca Serie F
Gurkha
Partagas Spanish Rosado
Partagas Cifuentes
Partagas Serie S
Cusano C-10
Oliva
Diamond Crown
Sosa
Gran Habano #5
CAO
Perdomo
Fuente
Carlos Torano
La Gloria Cubana
Bahia
K. Hansotia
Bucanero
Onyx Reserve

I am just scratchin' the surface here. txmatt!!!! Where are you?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Toraño Exodus 1959, AF chateu, CAO Piranha, Sancho Panza Doble maduro, La Gloria Cubana, Montecruz Negra Cubana, Hoyo de Monterey oscuro rothchild. When you are ready for some strong, more flavorful stogies: El Rey del Mundo, Partagas Black, Padron Anniversary line, Padron regular line.

The most fun of this hobby is trying new cigars. Experiment with singles and 5packs from JR cigars or anywhere else you may like, eventually you will find your favorite cigar. But don't stop there! Keep on trying new ones as your flavor profile WILL change overtime. Good luck and welcome to the jungle! :D

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
Buckle up! It's one hell of a ride! :z

BTW, how the heck did I miss Padron? :confused:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Since you're just starting out, I'd try Avos for a rich tasting medium bodied smoke. These were the smokes that got me hooked. The classic is the mildest, but it's very flavourful. The maduro is one of the finest maduros made, period. The Signature is the most complex and strongest of the line and it's also the most expensive.

If you're into trying expensive cigars, any of the Padron 1964 anniversarios are fantastic smokes -- arguably the best domestics made.

If you like stronger smokes, the Padron 6000 line is strong, rich , but not harsh. It's a bargain, too, at 6-7 bucks a stick. I know that might sound like less than a bargain, but I've had alot of 12-20 dollar sticks that don't even come close.

CAO anniversario Cameroon line is rich, a bit spicy and quite sweet. they cost 5-9 bucks a stick depending on the size.

My favourite new release from 2004 is the Alec Bradley Pryme Gold series. Great great great great cigars. They run 8-10 bucks. The other new release from 2004 is the La Gloria Cubana Reserva Figurados. These are rich and sweet and perfect for the beginner looking for a fuller bodied but ridiculously smooth tasting cigar. They are not "beginners" cigars, but beginners can definitely get into them. Depending on size, these run between 6 and 10 bucks piece.

I could go on and on and on

Thurm15 said:
Hi, I'm new to this site. Just started smokin Stogies a month ago after a friend gave me a Cigar out of his Humidor while we were playing Poker. I lit it up and was suprised at how good it was. It turned out to be a Monte Cristo White Churchill. Well that led me to trying a few different brands. All these years I thought that a Swisher Sweet or a Garcia Vega were what Smoking was all about. So far Ive tried the Monte White the El Rey Del Mundo Robusto and a Hemingway Signature and Shorty. Loved them all with the Hemingways being my favorite (Short Stories a tough find) any other suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Welcome aboard. I won't add any more recommendations, since the above will take at least a week or two to sample :w

·
Registered
579 Posts
Mmmm. K Hansotia! I loved that limited edition that came in a set of 10 in the leather case.

kansashat said:
Welcome! Iamveryfondofbananacreampie! :mad:

Phew! I don't really know where to begin. There are so many good ones.

Montes that are good IMHO:
Monte Serie V & VI
Monte Afrique
Monte Platinum
Monte White
Monte Peruvian
Cuban Montes (of course)

Also, oodles of good cigars out there.

Anything (almost) from Villazon......HDM, Excalibur 1066, ERDM, etc.

Camacho Corojo
Fonseca Serie F
Gurkha
Partagas Spanish Rosado
Partagas Cifuentes
Partagas Serie S
Cusano C-10
Oliva
Diamond Crown
Sosa
Gran Habano #5
CAO
Perdomo
Fuente
Carlos Torano
La Gloria Cubana
Bahia
K. Hansotia
Bucanero
Onyx Reserve

I am just scratchin' the surface here. txmatt!!!! Where are you?
:w :w

·
Registered
949 Posts
Well Looks like I'm Late again. What all of the others have said is good advice.

Here is my opinion.

If you like the Monte White and the AF Hemingway. I would suggest a few the Don Diego Reserve Line. Any other Don Diego tastes nasty. Make sure it is the reserve. Go for Casa Torano another mild cigar that is great. Flor De Oliva bundles. These are really great and about $1.50 a stick. Anything Padron is wonderful Especially the maduro. The Padron Anniversary Maduro '64 are one of the best non-cuban cigars out there.

Just a few thoughts.... Hope I helped you fall down the slippery slope.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
GOAT LOCKER said:
Welcome aboard. I won't add any more recommendations, since the above will take at least a week or two to sample :w
...or three, or...

Also can't add anything ...right there in the newb column myself.

Welcome aboard! Hope you have as much fun with this as I am!

Scott"asheaddsMOREtothelist"M

·
Registered
374 Posts
Welcome to you. I just made my appearance on here and the crew is very kind and helpful. Based on my entrance thread, I received the following recommendations:

Arturo Fuente Hemingway Natural Short Story $5.50
AVO Classic Natural No 2 $7.00
C.A.O. Gold Natural Corona $4.20
Don Diego Anniversario Natural Corona $7.00
Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur Natural No 3 $5.45
La Gloria Cubana Natural Minutos $2.10
Padron Natural 2000 $3.30
Private Stock Natural Corona $3.60

Also, a thread you might want to check out is CLICK HERE . I was looking for some mild to medium $2 - $5 cigars.

Anyhow, look around, plenty of great options/features on this board, and enjoy your stay.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
welcome Thurm15!! These guys can give you all kinds of the best advise you'll ever get!!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Just thought I'd say welcome....

And be sure to lace up those boots real tight......the slope is steep, and very, very, slippery!!

The dark side approaches...!!! ;) :w

·
Sneaky Bombin Bastage
2,569 Posts
Welcome to CS! These folks have given you alot of good choices. Enjoy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.