Cigar Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody have some suggestions for me as far as cigars go, i've only been smoking them for a few months now, and not many at that.

also, is anybody up for putting together a nice little package of some of your favorites to send to me. just let me know how much they are, and i'll send a check or paypal or something. i can never make up my mind at the local shop, i'd rather have someone who knows a bit more pick them for me.

thanks a lot
sky

·
Registered
585 Posts
my suggestion's as far as cigars would be this,

la flor dominicana ligero's, full flavored awesomeness. double ligero chisels are a special treat
bahia gold robusto's or #2, though not always consistent i love the flavor, a medium to full smoke as well
camacho corojo with corona wrapper, kick yo ass spicey
la gloria cubana serie R(natural) great medium smoke
RandelloX, if you can find them they are a nicuraguan puro that rocks at 5$ a stick. Better then most 10$ smokes

then there's the dark side, guys on this forum know that far better then me.

cool webpage man btw, reggae is the isht.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DaveC said:
cool webpage man btw, reggae is the isht.
thanks a lot, i'll be sure to throw that list in my palm pilot for the next trip to the tobacconist.

thanks for the compliment, the page is about to get a big overhaul too, a friend of mine is hooked up with some pro web designer in wilmington, nc. hopefully all is well.

thanks again

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well here is my short list...

Padron 4000 Maduro
CAO Brazilia Ipanema
Hoyo De Monterrey Excalibur No.1 Maduro
Padron 3000 Maduro
La Gloria Cubana Serie R No. 4

Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'll throw in a few suggestions too.

If you're new to cigar smoking you shouldn't have too much trouble with any of the Hoyo de Monterrey Excaliburs. If I were you I'd try both the natural and maduro versions and see which you tend to prefer. A lot of folks like the odd numbered Excaliburs -- I, III, etc -- these are often touted as the best of the bunch. Starting off, the Excalibur I might be a bit daunting just by size alone. I remember when I started out the III in maduro pushed all the right buttons. Great balance of strength and flavor. Also from the Villazon factory are the tissue wrapped El Rey del Mundo Robusto series and Rectangulares. Good smokes, IMO. Along similar lines you might want to check out the Punch delux series or Punch/Hoyo de Monterrey regular line Robustos. But they tend to lack the same kind of finesse -- at least initially. Generally these are all around medium -- mendium full strength smokes.

I'd recommend the Padron Anniversarios either in natural or maduro, if you don't mind parting with the cash. It's been a long time for me with these but I remember them being smooth as silk with tons of flavor. I'd call these mild-medium.

If you're interested in Cameroon wrappers, I'd look into the Arturo Fuentes. Cammies have a nice savory spicyness to them that a lot of folks like. For some reason I get the impression that non-smokers tend to not mind the smell of a Fuente too much. Mild-medium again.

You might like Private Stock from the Domincan. These are nice creamy, smooth and relatively inexpensive. Mild-medium.

I'm a big fan of Torano products, so I'd be remiss without mentioning them. Try the Reserva Selectas in the glass tubes or the Brazilian wrapped Signatures. The Signatures are my favorite. Smooth with big flavor! For something with a little more power in the Torano lines look to the Exodus 1959 "Maduro". Reserva Selectas -- mild, Signatures -- medium, Exodus maduro -- med-full.

A lot of folks like Fonsecas. I tend not to like the products of that particular factory. Taste is subjective though and since they're not too expensive you might as well try them. Mild.

For more mild-med and flavorful suggestions I'll point you to Havana Sunrise and Honduran/Cameroon Embassy. They're also cheap. From a value standpoint I give these a high recommendation.

I'll second the suggestions for La Gloria Cubanas and Bahia Golds.

Cheers and good smokin' to ya.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Although I am still a relative newbie myself, I thought I'd throw my two cents worth onto the board. I really enjoy the Punch Pita, Torano Exodus 1959, CAO Brazilia Samba, and the RyJ Anniversario. Also, a good everyday smoke that I found was the La Vieja Habana - I was skeptical at first b/c the same folks that make it make the cigars that smell like Grandpas aftershave! The trick is to find what you like no matter what the brand - to each his own!

·
DymOnamic
966 Posts
First of all, Welcome to the jungle Sky! :w I put this link up for you because I have found it to be for the most part, right on the money! Very good desrciptions, the most accurate on the net. A guideline that you can depend on. Hope it helps. You are in great company here, I know, in my short time of cigars, quality has rocketed by these gorillas! Also check out the Top25 by users.

http://www.top25cigar.com/SRC.htm

·
Chimpus herfustus
745 Posts
Sky-
Here's some that I would recommend to my friends...

1) Arturo Fuente Hemingways-very popular, always sold out, and there's a reason why.
2) CAO Criollo-my current favorite.
3) CAO Brazilia-these babies shine in any humidor.
4) Padron 3000,4000, or 5000 maduros-excellent smokes, great quality, and inexpensive. You can try a few different sizes withouth breaking the bank.
5) La Gloria Cubana Serie R-nice big fatty cigars. Try the natural or maduro, I like them both. Huge ring guages will define the upper limit in your size preference.

The proper storage of any one of these cigars is vital in how it will be to experience when you smoke it. I've had some of these right out of the store and they've been bad. After a few months in the humi, they've been dead on.

SB

·
Registered
410 Posts
Grab one or two of the above mentioned cigars and let us know what you think about them.
When starting out in the experimenting with good cigars, dont rule out trying a bundled cigar as many of them can be quite nice and they also hold a lower cost. :)

Tastes in Cigars are progressive - just ask many of the Gorillas here. Many of us started out with a lower cost smoke, and some of us keep them arround still...
Hb

·
Registered
419 Posts
Sky, pretty much a newbie myself but I will give you a few of my current favorites, Punch rare coroho rothschild, Punch double corona maduro, Cuesta- Rey pyramid #9 and robusto #7, Avo , almost anything I have ever smoked made by them and Joya De Nicaragua, again have enjoyed most everything I have tried by them. Frank B

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sky,

Don't be timid... just pick up as many single sticks as you can afford and enjoy. You'll end up with some you don't care for too much, but you will soon figure out what type of cigars you prefer. Remember, everyone's tastes are different. I'm personally not a big (Dominican)Cohiba fan, but to others, there is nothing better.

A friend of mine, when she first got into cigars, chose the ones "With the prettiest bands." Not exactly my method, but it worked for her- after a while she narrowed down what types of cigars she liked.

A few current favorites:

- Astral Talanga Valley Selection (TVS) Pyramid
- CAO Criollo
- Carlos Torano Exodous 1959
- Cusano Hermanos Vintage (Natural and maduro)
- Drew Estates Natural Blackout
- Sancho Panza Caballero

If you're on a budget, try Helix (Natural and maduro).

Good Luck, and Enjoy!

-Nero

·
Registered
5 Posts
suggestions

The only suggestion i have is try as many different cigars as you can (singles), always write down what you thought of the particular cigar, this comes useful to go back to. You will decide what you like and dislike no body can really tell you what is good and bad (we all have different tastes) only through experimenting your self can you tell. I bought singles first to try and when i found a particular cigar i thoroughly enjoyed, i then went out to purchase a larger order. Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts