Cigar Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Eichen (Dan), a newbie to this board. I haven't had much experience in this area so I'd appreciate any recommendations you can give me.

Ok. Here's what I like: Torano Signatures are pretty much tops for me, Henry Clay Brevas a la Conserva, LGC's, ERDM Robustos, Fuente 858s. Strength is definitely not the bottom line. I've gotten through Joya de Nicaragua Antanos but in my opinion the flavor just doesn't match the strength. I tend to like med-full smokes with thick, dark, rich flavors. I'm not exactly a fan of a "lean" cigar. Sharp spicyness is ok when it's balanced with other flavors but if it's too prominant I find it unpleasant. I also tend to have a sweet tooth.

Naugs I've tried and liked (these were a few years back, it's likely my tastes have changed a bit since): Monte #1 (had to be among the top 2 cigars I've had), RyJ Churchills, RyJ Perfectos (machine made but still very good), HdM Le Hoyo du Prince.

What am I looking at? Juan Lopez coronas, selection #1; Por Larranaga PCs; Punch royal selection #2, super selection #1, churhills; Upmann Magnum 46, super coronas; Rafael Gonzalez lonsdales, coronas extra; Diplimaticos #2; San Cristobal la punta; LGC Tainos; RASS, RAG; Partagas shorts, lusitanias....

I could just keep going. I'm kind of like a kid in a candy store.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
21,744 Posts
Eichen said:
What am I looking at? Juan Lopez coronas, selection #1; Por Larranaga PCs; Punch royal selection #2, super selection #1, churhills; Upmann Magnum 46, super coronas; Rafael Gonzalez lonsdales, coronas extra; Diplimaticos #2; San Cristobal la punta; LGC Tainos; RASS, RAG; Partagas shorts, lusitanias....
Since you appear to like the more flavorful, full-bodied cigars.....

Of those you mentioned above, my suggestions would be:
- Upmann Magnum 46
- RAG
- Partagas shorts, Lusitanias

Also look into the Bolivar and Vegas Robaina lines; two of my favs. You won't be disappointed, especially with the recent (02 and 03) productions.

Upmann #2 is another powerhouse. IMHO they are now better than the other pyramides/belicosos. (Monte 2 and VR Unicos are not far behind.)

For a tres petit corona you can't beat the San Cristobal El Principe.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those look like some great suggestions.

I've heard some describe the difference between the H.Upmann #2 and the Monte #2 as between the spicy and rich (Upmann) and more woody/floral (Monte -- but with a spicy kick unusual in the Montecristo line). How's it been in your experience?

Believe it or not I'd been thinking that the Upmann 2 might be too strong so I was about to discount it. But this is what these boards are good for.

Thanks.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool. That was a good reply. Anyone else?

·
Registered
21,744 Posts
Eichen said:
Believe it or not I'd been thinking that the Upmann 2 might be too strong so I was about to discount it. But this is what these boards are good for.
Life is short. Grab for the gusto! :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well by the look of your taste preferrance. Iwould suggest a Mont2 or RYJ Beli. Give the EPI 2 and 1 a try .

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BBF, Monte 2 and RyJ Beli -- all cigars with great reputations. But oh the descisions!

How about plain ol' parejos? Petite coronas, coronas, corona gordas etc. Usually churchills and dc's are a bit large for my day-to-day consumption. That said, any ISOM will by its nature become a special occasion cigar for me. So while I generally don't prefer those sizes, they're in the running.

Thanks to both Viesturs and Edisonbird for the input. I've got a few more things to consider.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Eichen said:

How about plain ol' parejos? Petite coronas, coronas, corona gordas etc. Usually churchills and dc's are a bit large for my day-to-day consumption. That said, any ISOM will by its nature become a special occasion cigar for me. So while I generally don't prefer those sizes, they're in the running.

Don't forget the intermediate sizes: dalias and the like!

I second the Upmann Mag 46s
also
Partagas D4, nearly always reliable, not gut-
wrenchingly strong but full-bodied and spicy
Punch Punch
Hoyo Epi 2
Boli PC, Boli Inmensas, Boli Lonsdales
Partagas 898V
Quai d'Orsay Gran Corona
Ramon Allones Coronas 2002--best corona I've had
in a while

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool. Those look like more good suggestions. So far folks seem to agree about the Upmann Magnum 46's. Nice size and not too terribly painful on the pocketbook (relatively speaking). Also 2 votes for the Hoyo Epi 2. I'll have to look into that.

I'd be interested in the RA coronas but haven't they been discontinued? I've heard a bit about these from lurking here and elsewhere.

robmcd: I'll go over there and drool at the pictures for awhile.

cool, cool.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
With those suggestions, you really can't lose my friend. Regarding the RA Coronas, I saw them floating around as recently as six months ago.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Lamar.

The fever bit me about a month ago so it's likely that I've missed those recent surfacings. There's enough to go off of on this list anyway...

So I should probably get the book by Min Ron Nee, right?

·
Registered
272 Posts
The RA Coronas can be had, and the cab I bought this year are great. Don't think the Upmann#2's are too strong, mine aren't. The're just a great pyramid for the money.

Great suggestions here, and if you like churchills the H. Upmann Sir Winston is a darn swell cigar imo.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks sirwinston. So much to choose from!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts