Cigar Forums banner

Should we have an ongoing Newbie Sampler thread here?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Still Smitty's biotch!
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty Apes. I think its about time Club Stogie had a newbie sampler thread going. This is very successful on another forum I belong to and I think it would be a good addition here as well.

What is a newbie sampler thread you ask? It goes like this:

1) A rotating pool/queue of 10 to 20 ESTABLISHED members offers to send cigar newbies a sampler of cigars to try. The Established Member (EM) sends cigars with information about each to give the newbie a sampling of good cigars that they think would be useful to the newbie to experience different tasting cigars.

2) The newbie decides approximately how much they want to spend on the sampler before the EM puts it together. Once an agreed value is determined the EM tells the newbie where to order a box of cigars or an accessory of equivalent value and has it shipped it to the EM. The EM mails the sampler to the newbie once the box/accessory is received.

3) It is important that the newbies be treated well, EMs should not get in to this to profit, but instead count on losing some $ by ensuring they send cigars worth a little more than what they receive. It should also be noted that newbie trades are not the appropriate place to send your dog rockets, unless you send them as extras noting that you don't like them but maybe the newbie will.

As a group we can iron out the details better if there is enough interest and enough EMs willing to do this. I have a few suggested rules below, they can be discussed of course.
a) Minimum newbie investment $25,
b) Maximum value of trade cap $150
c) EM should have 250+ posts and/or 6 months on board

What do you think??
-Matt-

·
Still Smitty's biotch!
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Example:

Newbie Ape comes joins the forum and posts in the lobby the usual, "what cigars would you recommend I get?

Established Members (EM) in the lobby thread list of a bunch of cigars, and also say, "look into the newbie sampler thread as well".

If interested, Newbie Ape posts in the thread, "how do I do a Newbie Trade, I am interested."

The currently "up" established member in the queue, Mo The Man contacts the newbie in the thread and by PM letting the newbie know he well set the Newbie Ape up with a sampler. The newbie notifies Mo he wants to spend around $50, so Mo will have to "slum it" or have the Newbie order him a 5er.

Mo posts in the thread that an agreement has been made so the EM that is on deck knows he will contact the next newbie who inquires.

Mo Finds a Box of 12 Buc Salsa's on sale for $50 shipped and gives the Newbie the web address and information to order the cigars from. Newbie orders the Salsa's and notes the order has been placed in the thread, listing tracking numbers if available.

When Mo receives his cigars he sends the Newbie Ape their sampler with Delivery Confirmation, and posts the DC# in the thread.

Newbie posts in thread that he received the cigars.

Newbie gets to try some great cigars without paying the premium normally associated with singles and 5 pack purchases plus they will get cigars that the wisdest of the apes here keep on hand.

·
Shags homely sheep
5,059 Posts
If I get this right. Newb wants a $50 selection. I ask him to buy me a $50 box of Perfecto Whatchamacallits and when I get my smokes I send him a > $50 selection of what I consider he would like. Sounds like a good idea -- any excuse to get a broader selection of smokes in the house.

·
Still Smitty's biotch!
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
galaga said:
If I get this right. Newb wants a $50 selection. I ask him to buy me a $50 box of Perfecto Whatchamacallits and when I get my smokes I send him a > $50 selection of what I consider he would like. Sounds like a good idea -- any excuse to get a broader selection of smokes in the house.
That is the idea!

I see a lot more views than votes here. Please voice your opinion, I think this could really help out the noobs..

Thanks!
-Matt-

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Sounds like a great idea, count me in!

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
galaga said:
Wouldn't it be the other way around? Newbie gets the cigars first? Seems if we are truly trying to do a favor, we would extend our hand first.

·
Registered
718 Posts
pds said:
Wouldn't it be the other way around? Newbie gets the cigars first? Seems if we are truly trying to do a favor, we would extend our hand first.
Yeah, but they're newbs. They haven't established any credibility. Sounds like a great idea. My stash is pretty pathetic, though, so I would never qualify as an Established Member.

·
Still Smitty's biotch!
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
drc said:
Yeah, but they're newbs. They haven't established any credibility. Sounds like a great idea. My stash is pretty pathetic, though, so I would never qualify as an Established Member.
I dunno, there are some new smokers out there that have higher quantities of premium smokes; money does not buy wisdom and experience. I am sure your experience would make you a fine person to set up newbie samplers.

PDS said:
DRC has the reason; credibility. People like the infamous Gamelover would just love to sign up again and again to rip off generous people. This is also why only established members would be the senders. People like Mo, IHT, Hat, Kamakiaguy, (and yes even LavXXX ) put a lot of time into making this board home - the time and reputation are the collateral to the newbie that they won't get screwed. I want to be generous, not stupid, know what I mean PDS?

-Matt-

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
txmatt said:
DRC has the reason; credibility. People like the infamous Gamelover would just love to sign up again and again to rip off generous people. This is also why only established members would be the senders. People like Mo, IHT, Hat, Kamakiaguy, (and yes even LavXXX ) put a lot of time into making this board home -
-Matt-
Holy Crap!!! How did I make that list. Thanx Matt but I definitely don't belong in the same league as Mo/IHT/Hat/Kami/Bruce5 or any of those guys. Much love to the vets at CS, I learn more from you guys everyday than I ever did in college:D

·
Registered
106 Posts
As a newbie I would love to be apart of something that would give me a better idea of what's being smoked by the vet's :w count me in :al

oh yeah...so let's say I want to spend $75 the vet would tell me where to go and what to buy? sounds to easy :D

and who the heck is Gamelover? I've heard that name before on another board?

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,591 Posts
BigBubba said:
and who the heck is Gamelover? I've heard that name before on another board?
a turd

Was looking through some of his posts and he lives not too far from me...he is right on my way home from school. if anyone wants to start up a dogrocket collection and have a rather gooney guy drop them off...im willing

back on topic, i think this is a good idea. it seems to have worked well over at CU and I think we have a tighter knit group of guys and gals here. it could work out well

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
I'm still chewing this one over. I don't really have any objections to it.

BTW, thanks for the vote of confidence, but in reality, I'm just a regular guy that spends way too much time tapping on a keyboard. Hell, sometimes I'm surprised that you folks actually put up with me! ;)

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I suppose you guys are right. Gamelover was such a assmunch that just the mention of his name makes me shudder. You guys should have seem the PM's he sent me feigning innocence.

·
-
11,412 Posts
i voted no. sorry.

i help newbies i want to help, no offense. also, if my tastes (read: country of origin) are not what a total newbie needs, then why would i be one to send him a sampler? who knows who this newbie really is anyway?

i'm all for helping newbies, don't get me wrong, i have sent a decent amount of cigars to some people, compared to the amount of stash i currently have....

i have also taken part in a few box splits behind the scenes recently.

maybe i didn't read the entire 5 page paper in depth enough...

once again, i don't think my point is coming out how i want it to. thanks for thinking of me as an established member around here. i still bow down to MANY, MANY gorillas who aren't as vocal as I.

maybe you could have two different versions, one for havanas, one for "domestic" cigars?

·
-
11,412 Posts
did i kill this topic or something?

it's a cool idea.... but some people on here smoke cigars from one country, that was my point...

anyway, continue the discussion... sorry to be a party-pooper. ;)

·
Still Smitty's biotch!
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Definitely not a party pooper IHT.

This thread is to guage interest level, and if not enough people are interested in doing this is won't work. With the new member activity it will take several gorillas a commitment to pull this off.

I am a straight shooter and I prefer the same in return.

The (sometimes) long shipping times, possibility of "the letter" make ISOMs less practical for newbies to order for the trades. Additionally boxes of good ISOMs are more costly. Of course there are RASCCs, and slews of MMs like Quinteros Brevas, but I am just guessing most of your collection runs more than the $150 a box I suggested. Finally there is the issue that sources bringing in ISOMs and then resdistributing them tend to be well guarded, you would not want to give a person without established credibility the location of such a source, and at the same time it would feel foolish sending them to a Geneva site that costs 30% more than your special supplier.

This is why I also suggested accessories be included. Have the newbie order you a Cutter, Lighter, Travel Humi, etc in lieu of the cigars if you don't know of ANY domestically available sticks you would want.

-Matt-

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Speaking as a resident uber-newb, I kinda like the idea. An overly generous BOTL hooked me up with enough to sample for quite a while and I appriciated it.

That being said, I'm finding enough info here to last me until I can make more informed judgements, (not that I haven't made some already). The low down on WHY I should (or shouldn't) try something and the points to look for when sampling a cigar mean more to me right now then an offering from a generous senior member.

It seems like a nice gesture, tho. A tenative "I'm interested" here.

Scott"K.I.S.S."M

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
As a recently newbie - a little over a year - I am completely in favor of this plan. I cannot begin to tell you how many crappy sticks I bought before finding some resonable quality (IMO) smokes. I learned a lot from CI and JR samplers, but it sure would be nice to get some veteran guidance.

Like a lot of people who 'drift' into good smokes without a lot of guidance, the biggest hurdle in hindsight was that I had no idea whatsoever of the vast difference in quality available. I also made the mistake of thinking that high cost always means better smoke. As a result I have really become a lot more gunshy about trying new smokes.

If anyone is interested trying this out, I hereby offer myself as guinea pig.

I have yet to venture into the ISOM territory, mainly because I cannot ustify the expense when i don't really know what I'm getting into.

What I have tried and would smoke again/ keep in the humi:

Vegas De Fonseca - Sobrinos and Petites
Bahia Maduros
SP Extra Fuerte Cordobas
5 Vegas Toro
Fonseca 2-2's (morning and low time commitment smoke)
Padron 2000

I also just got a sampler of K. Hansotias from auction that I am anxiously awaiting.

Let me know if anyone is interested in playing vet for a test run.

Raney

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Welcome aboard, RcktS4.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.