Cigar Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I am new to CS and this is my first thread. I've been enjoying cigars for the better part of two years and am looking forward to increasing my collection. All suggestions are welcome as to what I should try. I have tried plenty..but not enough.:)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Welcome to the Jungle. I suggest you try every cigar you can get your hands on, but I think you would get better recomendations if you told us some of the cigars you like now.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Welcome to the Jungle...watch out, the first step's a doozie;) :w .

·
Registered
410 Posts
Welcome to the Jungle!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Welcome asu bug!

I'll second the opinion of try everything you can get your hands on. Pay no attention to price, but pay close attention to your taste buds. Try to note the construction, where did the wrapper, binder and filler come from? While the countries these come from now produce many different types and strengths of tobacco, there is still a little truth to some of the old stereotypes. Dominican is generally milder, Honduran stronger, Nic. stronger still and Havana the strongest. Generalities for sure, but some truth still lingers.

When you taste something you like make a note of it. For example, I love Connecticut broadleaf wrappers and have found many good cigars that use this leaf as a binder. I've had some really cheap machine made cigars that are 100% Conn. broadleaf and they are super.

A HUGE mistake I made years ago was buying boxes and bundles from catalogs that claimed to be yummy, etc. Most of those stinkers I gave away to an associate who thinks White Owls are the finest kind.

Try before you buy. Keep that as your golden rule and you will be OK. Don't be influenced by the snobbery of price and the allure of what's chic. A Cuban Hoyo de Monterrey double corona that I paid $40 bucks for in a Habanos Shop was one of the crappiest cigars I ever had. (Poorly made and grossly underfilled).
A $1 dollar F.D. Grave from Hartford, CT never fails to disappoint.
Somewhere in between is the perfect cigar waiting for you and your own personal tastes to discover.

Enjoy the ride!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know I prefer maduro wraper cigars 45 - 50 ring. Some of my fav's are:

Padron 1962
Indian Tabac
Partagas black label
La Gloria Series R

I would like to try

Padron 1926
Opus X