Cigar Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day Gentleman of the jungle,

My name is Rick from Ottawa, Canada where the Habanos are plenty and plenty expensive.

Thank you for allowing me into your group. I have been a cigar smoker for about two years now...especially Cubans and I have had to hawk nearly all my possesions to keep my habit... :w ..okay well not all but just about.

A good friend of mine who knows of my adiction recently brought me back a sealed cabinet of Hoyo du Prince from Spain but that all seem to be hard little turds. I have punched four so far and tried to smoke two but the draw was tighter than a Nun's you know what..

I have two humidors up and running right now, one for my go to's and one for the better ones that I want to age.
My question is what would be the best way to try and get these babies to be smokable again?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Btw..my go to smoke is Upmann Coronas Juniors...damn fine little sticks with great Habanos twang.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Welcome! You might try storing them at about 62 % humidity. I store all of my Cubans between 62-65 % and very rarely have draw problems.

·
Registered
239 Posts
it is rare that smaller cubans are plugged but you may try to lower the humidity or do like i o sometimes and lay one out to dry a little before you smoke it. i have some deputes that can be a little tight and i use an ice pick to get a passage open. you may try that as well. i don't know about you but my deputes are fairly thick in the wrapper department.

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
I can't answer your question, but welcome.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Welcome to CS.

Now re: your question. If the sticks are hard and dry, then they need humidification. If they're hard & moist, then they're overfilled and need to dry. Usually, it's the bigger sticks (Churchills, Corona Gorda, DC) that tend to be plugged, but any cigar can experience that. It's hard to believe that a whole cabinet box will turn out to be plugged!!
What may work well for your cigars is a good draw poker. I personally like using this one, http://secure.thompsoncigar.com/def...451bmatzmy&uid=180&CategoryID=64&page=product , from Thompson's. It works well on smaller cigars!!

·
Registered
882 Posts
First off Welcome. I hope you enjoy this site as much as I do.

Now to answer you question I doubt a whole box would have all plugged smokes. So that leads me to think that they were brought in a "wet" state in which they are overly humidified and now would need a little time to dry out. I would't shock them by dropping the humidity to rapidly, instead just place them in a regular runinng 70/70 hummi for a month or so and see it that fixes the draw problem. I would bet that after about three months they will be a damn fine smoke, like they were intended to be.

Good luck and once again welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I will let you know how they turned out in a few months. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.