Cigar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy!

I've been lurking off and on for a couple of years. I figured now's a good time to get my feet wet.

I've been smoking for about 6 years. I came into the hobby just about at the peak of the late cigar boom. My first cigar was a Phillies Blunt -- 25 cents at the headshop in my college town. Not long after a friend gave me my first handmade cigar. It was a La Fontana. Even though the thing was dry as a bone I remember it was feindishly tasty compared to the Phillies. I guess I was hooked after that.

Nowadays I've got a resonably well-stocked cooler sitting in the basement. My current favorites are probably very familiar to many of you: Fuente 858, LGC Hermosos, Herny Clay Brevas a la Conserva (burned one tonight with a year of age on it -- good stuff), ERDM tissue wrapped Robustos, Flor de A. Allones #5. I've got a particular weakness for Torano Signatures.

I don't tend to be very vocal but I'll be happy to join the discussion whenever possible.

Regards,
Dan aka "Eichen"

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Poker!

How about you? How long have you been in the game?

What's your "go-to" smoke lately?

·
Light's on..No one's home
371 Posts
Welcome Aboard!

Great place with some wonderful people!

Used to smoke four boxes of the 858 Maduros every month a few years back. I always keep a box on hand for old times sake. :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Okie2!

I've only had the cammie version. (That's not a mooch ... really:) )

I've heard both are good. Is that a conn. broadleaf on the maddie?

I like the natural 858's enough to make sure to have at least a few of the 858 naturals on hand for the future.

I've heard a bit about the 858 in the sungrown wrapper. Do you have any experience with this?

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Been into cigars seriously for about 12-13 yrs now.

"Go to" cigars for me can vary depending whats going on and folks Im with, but they seem to be always Havanas. I guess lately the cigar I seem to grab most often are H Upmann Sir Winstons.

·
Registered
76 Posts
:u :u Dan, welcome! I'm somewhat of a newbie myself; but I'm already a Young Ape!:D

I share you fondness for the LGC Hermosos! I have also had the tissue-wrapped ERDMs. I like 'em, but not as much as any LGC.

This board is fun, so don't hesitate to dive in.
:u

·
Registered
410 Posts
Welcome to the Jungle, Dan!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, glad to see so many posts this morning. It's nice to have such a welcome here.

drill: Thanks!

Poker: That's something else! I'll have to ask you a few questions about ISOMs. Seems that you have the experience there.

Merlin: Thanks! Hermosos -- that's some good stuff, eh? A lot of people swear by the Wavels. I haven't had one of those in while. I bought a box of La Hoya Selectas on a closeout last year. From what I remember of the Wavel, the robusto sized Hoya seemed to fit the bill. Sweet and smooth, like smoking a stick of carmel.

Are the Hermosos your favorite LGC? Maduro or natural?

relaxnsmoke: Thanks! I'm looking forward to posting a review in the near future (just need to find my review format).

tbateman: Thanks!

drc: Thanks!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
robmcd: Yup!

edisonbird: Cheers!

·
Registered
76 Posts
:u :u Eichen, I think I like the Wavells a little bit better than the Hermosos. Maduro, of course for both. I am out of Wavells currently. Time to replenish.

I smoked a Fuente Chateau Fuente this morning. Son, that little sucker was strong. I think is was the sungrown wrapped version. Definitely stronger than the maduro.:u

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Merlin: I've been smoking mostly the natural wrapped LGC's. I think it's an Ecuador wrapper. I dig the sweet spiciness that I get from that wrapper. Maduro's good too. It seems a little richer to me.

I had a cedar wrapped Fuente in a robusto size a while ago (had to be next to 4 years now). I think these were sungrown. I remember that being one of the first strong cigars that I really enjoyed. I developed a taste for sungrown wrappers after that.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Welcome to the Jungle Dan,
GLad to see you jump in and post.

The things I have learned online from the fellow gorillas here have been very helpfull.

Hb.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks flipflop!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts