Cigar Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am not ready to get a real cigar since there are no respectable shops w/in probably 100 miles, and i have not been smoking long. i am still on the grocery store brands, and i am wandering what is the best grocery store brand? i have tried black & milds, swisher sweets, and blackstones.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have seen them sell Dominican Cohiba's in the grocery store or a corner store. I have never seen Macanudos there though.

DONT SMOKE PHILLIES ME AND SOME OF MY FRIENDS FOUND A HUGE PIECE OF PLASTIC IN ONE OF THEM. BLACK SMOKE ( TOXIC I THINK) CAME FROM IT.

Hey did you know that those "stogies" are soaked in PG before they are shipped out to keep them fresh. THAT IS GROSS. Order a Sampler from holts.com or another reputable online retailer. You can buy them for as little as 20 bucks (I have seen some for 9.99) and if you like the grocery store brands you will LOVE these. CAO, La Gloria Cubana, Onyx Reserve (I don't like this so much, but,it got GREAT reviews so worth a try right.) These are all relativly "cheap" but good. The C.A.O.'s are great, but, a little more expensive.

Hope that helps a little.

Phil

·
Chimpus herfustus
745 Posts
Grand Master Flash-

The internet my friend, the internet. There are a ton of online retailers (see top 25 cigar's list of where to buy) that have top notch cigars and accessories at good prices. Once you have tasted the sweet nectar of premium smokes, those Backwoods might seem a little less than satisfactory. And once you buy some good cigars, you'll have to buy a good humidor to store them in, and a good cutter and a good lighter and then you'll want to get some habanos and and and....see how this works?! Welcome to the jungle's slippery slope, friend.

SB :)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Grand Master, unless you live in the absolute boondocks and tittie bar doesnt give us alot of clues you should be able to find a smokeable cigar. Many package stores keep a humidor these days; failing that many on line vendors can have good cheap smokes to you in a real short time. I will admit to enjoying a Garcia Vega Crystal from the local Stop and Shop. Machine made, very mild, nice draw, burned evenly, no real complaints, not particularly memorable, but have smoked worse that cost more bucks and were hand rolled. Frank B

·
Registered
291 Posts
Some people don't have good Cigar stores and some people live where tobacco tax is outrageous......the internet is the answer...good smokes for the right price.
:w

·
Shags homely sheep
5,059 Posts
I don't think that the Garcia y Vega or the Romeo y Julietta are too bad of a smoke and you should be able to find them in the local stores or Drug stores. I was in Tx this summer and the local Walgreens even had some "real" cigars. But the internet is a great way to order some cigars.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Definitely go for the internet!

Otherwise, backwoods and parodis are kind of pleasenin'

-E.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I concur with the internet suggestion. With some shopping around you can find some good deals on some great smokes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GM,

I was in Athens, Tx a year ago and my advice on getting good smokes... Move closer to Dallas.

Actually, I have a relative in Ennis and gave him a call. He said he thought there's a cigar shop in Athens named Chaneys. I gave Chaneys a call and they said they have a well stocked, walk-in humi. They're on Hwy 31 about 6 blocks east of Rt19.

Enjoy!

(And I wasn't kidding. Do yourself a favor and move out of Athens. :) )

-Nero

·
Shags homely sheep
5,059 Posts
Now that is some kind of service --- calling all across the country to find a cigar shop for you. You might as well let us know what you buy :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea, im going to try the chaney's place here, i know where it is but forgot about it while posting because we dont have much of anything. we have to go to wal-mart for almost everything.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Re: Garcia y Vega

I agree with FrankB and galaga: the Garcia y Vega is a very decent cheap cigar. I've had no trouble with it. The one cigar I would definitely warn you about is the Optimo. It was the one cheap cigar I liked so much I bought a case of them. I soon learned that I should have sampled a few more before making the purchase, though, because the caps were all glued on with some kind of disgusting adhesive that got on my lips and on my tongue, ruining the smoking experience each time I lit one up. It just made everything taste horrible. I got to where I had to cut the entire cap off before smoking one (they're pre-drilled to begin with). Thankfully, that seems to solve the problem, enabling me to finish up the box, albeit with bits of tobacco getting into my teeth.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have lots of great shops in my area and still buy almost exclusively online, smoking four or six a day. It's nice to go down and hang out at a shop, try a single of something new, but it's definitely the icing, not the cake itself. With the samplers they're offering online now you can get started down the road to a serious habit even in antarctica, as long as UPS delivers there...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts