Cigar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought in December have tried to season it multiple times. Leaving a sponge in until it dries, repeat the process. Been doing that for two months and it won’t hold. I have a breveda 69 and have added even a second 62. Attached the last few days. This is after removing a sponge I had in there for a few days.

Attachments

·
Retired Chaos Designer
11,355 Posts
Is the drain plug in place?

·
Registered
470 Posts
It's on the bottom of the unit, about two inches from the back, right in the middle. I just put some tape over mine.

·
Super Moderator
8,286 Posts
Not sure what size wineador or what size Bovedas you're talking about. But if it's a full sized 2.5 cu.ft. NewAir (advertised as 400 count capacity) like a CC-300 with 60g Bovedas, that's likely the problem. Two 320g Bovedas might be enough, though I'd tend to err on the high-side and go with 3 or 4 of those. But it would take a lot of 60g's.

Also, not really a good idea to mix different RH% packs. Whatever the 65% is putting out the 62% is absorbing. At best you're going to get half-power 62% - i.e. the equivalent of just one 62% pack.

I'm also guessing what you put in for seasoning was insufficient. The amount of wood in the typical wineador requires a lot of water vapor to season. Put in a bowl of distilled water, with a sponge floating in it if you wish. Refill the bowl when it gets low and give it about a month... and don't run the wineador while seasoning; lower temps will inhibit the process.

As for the drain plug, that's an issue for converted wine fridges, not those manufactured as dedicated humidors.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Not sure what size wineador or what size Bovedas you're talking about. But if it's a full sized 2.5 cu.ft. NewAir (advertised as 400 count capacity) like a CC-300 with 60g Bovedas, that's likely the problem. Two 320g Bovedas might be enough, though I'd tend to err on the high-side and go with 3 or 4 of those. But it would take a lot of 60g's.

Also, not really a good idea to mix different RH% packs. Whatever the 65% is putting out the 62% is absorbing. At best you're going to get half-power 62% - i.e. the equivalent of just one 62% pack.

I'm also guessing what you put in for seasoning was insufficient. The amount of wood in the typical wineador requires a lot of water vapor to season. Put in a bowl of distilled water, with a sponge floating in it if you wish. Refill the bowl when it gets low and give it about a month... and don't run the wineador while seasoning; lower temps will inhibit the process.

As for the drain plug, that's an issue for converted wine fridges, not those manufactured as dedicated humidors.
My newair was manufactured as a dedicated humidor, and had a drain plug. I would also add, newair's customer service is horrible.

Reactions: sarjent

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you. I will start over and see. For the record my temporary home is a Tupperware container and its working great lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My newair was manufactured as a dedicated humidor, and had a drain plug. I would also add, newair's customer service is horrible.
Their cust. service is shit. But I like the unit - if I can just nail it down. There is absolutely no drain plug on this unit btw. This is their 250 model

1 - 8 of 8 Posts